Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by noiseredux »

ExedExes wrote:Best of all, they just work.

for real. Read my recent write-up on House Of The Dead on my site and feel my pain.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

ExedExes wrote: bought 1 & 2 there and got the remastered versions for free.

Oh nice, I didn't know that! I have the first one, but I got frustrated as I tried to get it to work properly (the sound wouldn't work).

Glad that I might be able to actually play it now haha.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:
ExedExes wrote:Best of all, they just work.

for real. Read my recent write-up on House Of The Dead on my site and feel my pain.

Got any tricks for getting old Star Trek games to work? I'm not as skilled a PC magician as you, and I haven't had any luck getting my old Windows 95/98 Star Trek games working on Windows 10.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

*Goes back to RFGeneration to add more GOG games to personal collection*

*Brings up Al-Qadim to put in collection*

*Sees one other person listed as owner*

*It's BoneSnapDeez*

8)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:

Got any tricks for getting old Star Trek games to work? I'm not as skilled a PC magician as you, and I haven't had any luck getting my old Windows 95/98 Star Trek games working on Windows 10.[/quote]

not from experience. Never been a Star Trek fan, so I don't own any of the games. I'd start with the obvious stuff: running as Admin in compatibility modes.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:Read my recent write-up on House Of The Dead on my site and feel my pain.

*reads*

That is dedication! I have an older XP desktop with a good nVidia card for older stuff that won't cooperate well on my 8.1 PCs, but this effort to even get to the point that you had to re-install 10 is something I'd never go that far for, but for the first arcade gun game that I took seriously enough not only to 1cc on a regular basis but to max out my score in (80,440), it would be something that I'd probably try to get working myself.

laurenhiya21 wrote:
ExedExes wrote: bought 1 & 2 there and got the remastered versions for free.

Oh nice, I didn't know that! I have the first one, but I got frustrated as I tried to get it to work properly (the sound wouldn't work).

Glad that I might be able to actually play it now haha.

I had bought a boxed copy of Bioshock without reading up on the number of problems that it was having, not only on newer PCs, but even when it was first released in 2007. The special activation DRM on the disc was a headache at launch from what I understand. But on my 8.1 desktop it was always just crashing at all sorts of random points for reasons unknown, then I read an article about remastered versions coming in mid September and then I found out it was STEAM then I was all upset again because I'm a strong supporter of GOG and their DRM-free model, then I remember the issues I had with their client in 2010 and a common issue with the white text on the buttons and all over the client disappearing making it impossible to navigate or even play any games, and the fixes they suggested weren't working out for me, so I thought I'd swear off Steam forever and just stay with GOG. That is of course, until my need for Bioshock became way too insatiable to ignore. I got 1, 2 and the Minerva's Den DLC since all those were going to be getting remastered. They had a nice bundle price for all 3 titles and all associated DRMs at $39.97, but I came to find out that they had put up that bundle in error and it was quickly taken down.

I think my experience with the GOG Galaxy client also had me give Steam another try. This new client is leaner and faster and far less intrusive than the one I had before. I played some more last night and discovered the achievements that I hear so much about here and I also got a Brigid Tennebaum "trading card" that can be actually traded or sold on their marketplace? That's some crazy stuff right there. This is a far deeper experience than just a game. The client also had a news update from 2K saying that they're working on some of the bugs in the remastered versions (mouse & FOV issues I haven't encountered yet), that was nice to read right in the window without having to go anywhere. Add to that the far better selection Steam has, I think I'll be continuing with them! I also linked my Steam account to GOG for that special crossover feature that lets you connect your game libraries if you bought a game from Steam to use on GOG.

So you know what? I think Steam and GOG can happily co-exist in my gamespace.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ack wrote:*Goes back to RFGeneration to add more GOG games to personal collection*

*Brings up Al-Qadim to put in collection*

*Sees one other person listed as owner*

*It's BoneSnapDeez*

8)

Haha!

NOICE.

You and I are the only "owners" listed for all the D&D compilations as well...
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

^ I have not actively tracked GOG or Steam there - I started at one time but there were so many holes and I didn't have the time to submit them all.

But I should now so the three of us can be a thing.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Don't worry, it's still full of holes. I stopped counting how many GOG games I owned that weren't in their database once I hit double digits. I know I can add them, but I don't have the time for that right now.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

The following holes in RFG's GOG database have now been filled by me, so maybe this might help some of you -

Blocks That Matter
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Double Dragon Trilogy
Full Spectrum Warrior
Full Specrun Warrior Ten Hammers
Guilty Gear Isuka
Moto Racer
Moto Racer 2
Moto Racer 3 Gold Edition
Pinball Gold Pack
Race Driver: GRID
Rise of The Triad 2013
Runaway
Runaway 2
Runaway 3
Saints Row The Third
Sam & Max Beyond Time And Space
Serious Sam The First Encounter
Serious Sam The Second Encounter
Shadowgate (2014)
Sin Gold
Spycraft: The Great Game
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Star Wars Empire At War: Gold Pack
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars Starfighter
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
Still Life 2
Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People
Terminal Velocity
Ultimate Doom
Unreal II: The Awakening Special Edition
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament 2004 Editors Choice Edition
Unreal Tournament GOTY
Witcher: Enhanced Edition, The
Wolfenstein 3D + Spear of Destiny
Worms Forts: Under Siege
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.