Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 am

I prefer older platformers over modern ones, the main reason is that in retro ones you can easily tell the foreground from the background, other graphical enhancements and bells&whistles do not help. Some games have done it better like meat boy.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:40 pm

RCBH928 wrote:I prefer older platformers over modern ones, the main reason is that in retro ones you can easily tell the foreground from the background, other graphical enhancements and bells&whistles do not help. Some games have done it better like meat boy.

There are lots of very good new platformers that are done in a retro style and would fit right at home on a NES, stuff like shovel knight is the most popular example but there are tons of good obscure ones as well
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:19 am

pook99 wrote:There are lots of very good new platformers that are done in a retro style and would fit right at home on a NES, stuff like shovel knight is the most popular example but there are tons of good obscure ones as well

You are correct but I was talking about games like Trine, Ori, and maybe the still in the making Odyssey World. There are modern ones though the have done it well like Braid and Guacamole, but the thing is that they tend to use simpler graphics something that I feel could be done easily on say even the Dreamcast. I guess the real argument is I have yet to see a modern 2D platformer that utilizes full modern console power like say Doom 2016. It seems like if they do the perspective gets confusing and the heavy 4K graphics gets distracting (at least to me). Maybe the genre is limited, say like how a videogame adaptation of a board game like chess is limited, there is only so much you can do graphics wise.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:03 pm

I think the reason noone has made 2d platformers with super modern graphics is that most fans of the genre tend to like either retro or cartoony asthetics. I also don't think graphical powerhouses like doom/whatever modern game would translate well to 2d, I think it just lends itself to cartoony graphics which is why no developer has deviated much from that.
marurun

by marurun Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:19 pm

pook99 wrote:I think the reason noone has made 2d platformers with super modern graphics is that most fans of the genre tend to like either retro or cartoony asthetics. I also don't think graphical powerhouses like doom/whatever modern game would translate well to 2d, I think it just lends itself to cartoony graphics which is why no developer has deviated much from that.

Well-animated 2D art assets are labor-intensive to produce, and cartoony assets are cheaper to develop. And 3D-generated 2D assets are also not cheap. Look how much work the Bloodstained crew put in to get their relatively mediocre graphical presentation. Basically, these indie platformers just can't invest that much money in their projects.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:45 pm

Just finished casltevania season 3 on netflix today, it was awesome and it is extremely popular. I don't know how Konami can watch one of their beloved properites blat into mainstream viewership and not revive the franchise. They could even do a game that takes place after castlevania 3 where dracula is dead and trevor and slypha are out doing their other adventures. If done well I'm sure it would be a smash, but then again, I don't know that we can trust Konami to do anything well at this point and if they made a castlevania equivalent to rogue corps I would cry myself to sleep for a week.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:00 am

It would require Konami to admit that Castlevania was good as is, rather than their terrible attempt to reboot it.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 am

What I don't get is Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth did well (considering it was exclusive to Wii Ware). It wasn't the best game of the original formula, but it was reviewed well. I thought it was a solid game. I realize it was developed by M2 and not directly by Konami, but still. Did the success of this game say nothing to Konami? Have M2 make another Castlevania game, or at least remake another one! Can you picture a remake of CV3 with the same A/V style as ReBirth? People would go nuts over that! Especially now that the NetFlix series is so popular.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am

I have a feeling Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online is kinda telling us there will never be another traditional Fallout or Elder Scrolls again?
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:What I don't get is Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth did well (considering it was exclusive to Wii Ware). It wasn't the best game of the original formula, but it was reviewed well. I thought it was a solid game. I realize it was developed by M2 and not directly by Konami, but still. Did the success of this game say nothing to Konami? Have M2 make another Castlevania game, or at least remake another one! Can you picture a remake of CV3 with the same A/V style as ReBirth? People would go nuts over that! Especially now that the NetFlix series is so popular.

Again, Konami and admitting Shadows was a terrible idea. Not going to happen.

I have a feeling Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online is kinda telling us there will never be another traditional Fallout or Elder Scrolls again?

Except in the same presentation as they announced 76 they announced TES 6, and that it would be a single player game.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming