Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:The condition the monitor is in is going to be the single most important thing. If it's in good condition, I'd say between $300 and $500 would be reasonable although I wouldn't call it a good deal unless you can get it for $200 or less. If the monitor needs work - even just re-capping - I wouldn't pay more than $100, personally.

I'm not personally familiar with GORF cabinets, though; is it JAMMA compatible? If it's not already wired for JAMMA, then knock some off of that monitor-is-in-good-condition amount.

How long will these monitors will keep on working. I remember back like 15-20 years ago some of the arcade cabinets monitors gave out already giving different color output. A lot of the arcades cabinets are 20 years already so whats the lifetime of those CRTs?

I imagine they are unservicable too given no one makes CRTs any more or CRT replacement parts.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Well, problems with colors can be something as simple as needing a degaussing. Unlike PC CRTs, arcade monitors typically didn't have a built in degausser. One of my cabs needed one, so I picked up a degausser off Craigslist and was able to fix it easily. It's essentially just a big coil of wire, wrapped in insulation so you don't hurt yourself, and that generates a magnetic field. You then wave this in a specific way in front of the monitor screen and it realigns the electron beams so everything goes where it should.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

I love light gun games especially the Time Crisis and Virtua Cop series in the Arcade. I've played the various Wii title onrail gun games, but for some reason it doesn't really have the feel. So my question is.. are there peripheral for the Wii mote to mimic the arcade feel ? I do recall from the arcade that the controller gun have a recoil /feedback feel to it.

On a side note Gamestop employees are asshole (Pittsburgh location), I remember during my college years I went in looking for the Guncom for Time Crisis and the two douche
working there said "No we don't any GUNS here" . I replied back kindly "Thank you", while walking out I hear them giggling and laughing like teenage girls.
I guess it got to me that much since I remember it to this day. :(
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I've been also thinking about arcade gaming lately.

Basically, I realized recently that some arcade games I want might actually be within my price range. I made a list of the classic games I would like to own (Centipede, Defender, Robotron 2084, Berzerk) and realized I could get the guts shipped to Europe at a reasonable price. I've been thinking about building a reproduction cabinet but keep the original guts and it seems suspiciously viable.

My fear is 1) Not knowing what I actually need to run the games. The actual PCB might not be enough, I might need a sound board, replacement ROMs, a power supply and so on. I don't even know what a harness is 2) This kind of stuff is a money pit. First it's a lightbulb here, then it's a joystick, then the side-art and before you know it, you have spent twice as much as you thought at first.

Still, it seems a lot of fun and I'm keeping my eyes on it.

Feel free to share your thoughts if you have any, though ;)
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

OK. I think I have charted my way through the Adventure Island/Monster World/Wonder Boy series. I am going to use the Wonder Boy series as the series that holds everything else together and try to finish them up in this order:

Wonder Boy (SMS)
Adventure Island (NES)
Adventure Island II (NES)
Adventure Island (GB)
Adventure Island III (NES)
Adventure Island II (GB)
Adventure Island IV (FAMICOM)
New Adventure Island (TG16)
Super Adventure Island (SNES)
Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
Adventure Island: The Beginning (WII)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (ARCADE)
Saiyuki World (FAMICOM)
Whomp ‘Em (NES)
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (TG16)
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap (SMS)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (GEN)

Monster World IV (GEN)

Am I missing anything here? Should I swap out or add any ports?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Am I missing anything here?

Bikkuriman World (PC Engine)

The Dynastic Hero (TG Super CD)

I think that's it.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Does anyone double stack their collection? I mean stacks in front of games in the back of the shelf. Watching HCG show on his new game room. I personally will not do that I don't like games hiding behind games for my collection.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Segata wrote:Does anyone double stack their collection? I mean stacks in front of games in the back of the shelf. Watching HCG show on his new game room. I personally will not do that I don't like games hiding behind games for my collection.

For most of my collection, no, but I have to in a couple of instances, simply because I have no room :(

Nearly all of my PS3 games are hidden by walls of PS4 games. And then part of my (PAL) longbox Saturn games have a row of jewel case US and JPN Dreamcast games.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Segata wrote:Does anyone double stack their collection? I mean stacks in front of games in the back of the shelf. Watching HCG show on his new game room. I personally will not do that I don't like games hiding behind games for my collection.

I was thinking about that exact same thing when I watched that video this morning. I was like "Dude, you're hiding games...." I want my shit SEEN.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I double-stack games, but it's more to save room as I'd love to showcase everything I've got. One of these days, I'll get a separate shelf exclusively for my non-big-box PC games.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|