Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Ziggy »

HA! That Switch ad is so very 90's! It would look out of place if you were flipping through GamePro.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I think I might finally be hitting my "screw this, I'm focusing on retro" moment. Although much of the stuff I'm currently focused on isn't all that retro (Wii, PS3 in the future, though that Wii will definitely have some retro play going...), I'm just looking at so much of the new stuff coming out and saying "ehhh....". Switch looks interesting, though not enough for me to jump in yet, and while there is a lot of PS4 stuff coming next year I want, I find my attention much more enamored looking up obscure Wii games and PS1 games, and I keep returning to games that either pull heavily from genres that aren't as common anymore, or fit a narrow passage of new and shiny stuff that will still catch my eye, though even that is limited. Honestly, if it weren't for Yakuza, Dishonored, Red Dead Redemption 2, and The Last of Us 2, I probably wouldn't keep my PS4 at this point. And like has been discussed on the forum, I pulling more and more to Japanese games, and I have my fingers crossed Switch gets more stuff from its home country. (Sega, you can be screw ups, but if you put all of the Yakuza games that can run on switch on it (everything up to Kiwami if they use the Japanese exclusive PS3 version of 0 to build off of), I'll love you forever.)

Also, Bones' obscure RPG discussions went from "huh, interesting." to me looking up obscure import RPG's that are text heavy on eBay so I know how much I need to start saving once I get out of school.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Switch and PS4 are loaded next year with obscure Japanese games. Couldn't be happier with them.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I started playing King's Field tonight.

I only intended to play a few minutes, check it out, and return to it tomorrow. Next thing I know two and half hours have passed and it's 2 am. Jesus.

Poking around and finding neat shit is clearly half the fun in this game.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Also, Bones' obscure RPG discussions went from "huh, interesting." to me looking up obscure import RPG's that are text heavy on eBay so I know how much I need to start saving once I get out of school.

That's what I'm talkin' about!

CFFJR wrote:I started playing King's Field tonight.

The first game (Japanese) or part II which was localized as "part one"?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I think I might finally be hitting my "screw this, I'm focusing on retro" moment.

I'm not going to say that modern games suck, or that there's no new games on the horizon that look good. But I will say there are legions of strange, interesting, and excellent experiences hidden in the past. Some gamers only move forward, ignoring the wonders of gaming history. I'm glad you don't want to be one of them.

CFFJR wrote:I started playing King's Field tonight.

You have now elevated to celestial gamer level sir.

CFFJR wrote:Next thing I know two and half hours have passed and it's 2 am.

I'm also wondering which "King's Field" you're playing. Japan original, or USA misnamed sequel?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I'm playing King's Field US, so the actual second game. The original JP game is the only one I don't own (well, and Pilot Style I guess, but that's not gonna happen), but I'll get it eventually.

Am I gonna end up looking like Jack Nicholson once I beat this? With those crazy, haunted eyes? :lol:

I have half the day off today, so I'll be taking the opportunity to spend some good time with the game.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

CFFJR wrote:I'm playing King's Field US, so the actual second game.

I had some good times with King's Field II. But it was my least favorite of the four main games. So if you end up enjoying KF2, IMO things only get better from there.

As for King's Field (Japan), the most reasonable option is to emulate the English fan-translated version. You can download it here:

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pla ... ld-j-teng/

There is also the Sword of Moonlight PC remake of King's Field (Japan), which was created by From Software:

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/ ... moonlight/

Sword of Moonlight is a King's Field game creation engine, allowing users to make their own King's Field games for PC. Quite a few have been made in English:

http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/games

I have not played any of those yet. Because they weren't actually made by FromSoftware, and my experiences with fan made games hasn't been compelling in the past. But that's not to say the games in that list aren't good though. I have no idea. I plan to play them eventually, have to get my fix somehow. :?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Exhuminator wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I think I might finally be hitting my "screw this, I'm focusing on retro" moment.

I'm not going to say that modern games suck, or that there's no new games on the horizon that look good. But I will say there are legions of strange, interesting, and excellent experiences hidden in the past. Some gamers only move forward, ignoring the wonders of gaming history. I'm glad you don't want to be one of them.

Yeah. I think a lot of it hitting me right now is that modern stuff is just pulling in directions I'm either tired of, or never was interested in. My online gaming days are practically dead, so all that goes out the window,and I've become tired of open world anything unless there's enough there otherwise to pull me ( Witcher 3 had this for me, for example).I feel like everybody is pulling behind Bethesda, tons of content of the same thing with limited variety, and not enough well worn care. I'd really prefer a well fleshed out 10 hour game than a half empty 200 hour game.

I also think the oddities and weird games you mention are starting to disappear more, or at least not come west. I mean, would we ever get something like GodHand in the modern day?

Segata wrote:Switch and PS4 are loaded next year with obscure Japanese games. Couldn't be happier with them.

I looked after you posted this, and I didn't see much in the way of PS4 stuff. You mind filling me in on what you were referring to?
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Yakuza 6
Digimon Cyber Sleuth Hackers Memory
Ni No Kuni II
Still waiting for some promise LRG games
I have not bought it yet but plan to get Tokyo Xanadu EX
Dragon's Crown Pro (one of my favorite games so tripel dipping)
Seven Deadly Sins
Under Night In-Birth
New Atelier for PS4 (and Switch)
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (also on Switch..probably get the NS version)
Upcoming DMC HD Collection
Metal Max
Reverie (Earthbound like Zelda game)
Icey physical edition
Dragon Quest XI
Secret of Mana Remake
Project Nimbus (like Zone of the Enders)

For Switch there is just so many I want in 2018
Lost Legion
Lost Sphear
Blade Strangers
Yoshi
Kirby
Prime 4
Bayonetta 3 (plus the HD collection of 1-2)
Street Fighter 30th
Penny Punching Princess
Longest Five Minutes
Redout
Project Ocotpath Traveler (the demo is really good, pretty much a SNES JRPG on a modern console)

As just a few.

There is more already out but one only has so much money. Not listing this as how can anyone not be interested and more just these are games I'm personally interested in. I already own nearly 50 retail PS4 games and outside of Gravity Rush 2, Wipeout Omega there isn't any Sony 1st party stuff and very little in the way of AAA stuff. Mostly niche games that are either Japanese or indie and even some smaller western niche games like MatterFall and Nex Machina. Plenty of variety in there not just RPG's. Shmups, fighting games, emotional journey games like RiME, Journey and one of my faves Abzu. Oldschool side scrollers like Assault Suit Leynos and Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap and Earth's Dawn or Odin's Shere HD. I could go on forever. My sig has a link to where you can find it. Point is PS4 is just loaded and with far more than I own or can name of smaller niche games that have kept me loving this system and Switch is shaping up to steal the types of games Vita got. With so many games like this, it's made me forget the severe issues of the AAA gaming world. These are games that don't have loot boxes or skin DLC (for the most part) and remember when games were just fun IMO. Kinda reminds me of the 90s for consoles in that narrowly focused way only personally.