Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: the Sucker Punch (movie) x Games connection

by Luke Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:07 am

dsheinem wrote:I've had this sitting on my DVR for a few weeks now. I guess I should watch it?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it after you watch it.

I honestly didn't see any connections to video games other than the fact the movie looks like a video game (this critic says it better*). But this is an interesting topic as I'm sure there are ties to video games in a lot of movies that we don't always look for.

*A spectacular flop of fancy, mind-blowingly empty. Muddles along as if Nintendo fused Cabaret and A Streetcar Named Desire for people who play Call of Duty. Snyder's carved out a pointless new subgenre--call it video-game camp.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am

BoringSupreez wrote:I often forget you're a mod, because you don't bother to capitalize things or use enough commas. :P

I hate when people use more commas than necessary.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:42 pm

You guys seem not to know or forget. This is based off of a comic. (As is Scot Pilgrim, but this is more well known.)

It might just be me, but a lot of comics bring in videogame references unintentionally. Its two genres that come together quite well because of the nerdiness of both.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
latenitevacancy
64-bit

by latenitevacancy Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:18 pm

is it based on a comic? i didnt know that.

and it basically took all of its ideas from the superior Brazil. the whole "trapped in a place you cant escape run by people that shouldn't run anything", thats a big one. using dreams to escape reality. the samurais. even the ending! its the exact same ending! its just all that made Brazil clever and smart in the way it conveyed its message, Suckerpunch had no message to convey.
Oh, come on, don't leave your uncle T-Bag hangin'!
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:22 pm

noiseredux wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:I often forget you're a mod, because you don't bother to capitalize things or use enough commas. :P

I hate when people use more commas than necessary.

But, you know, lots of commas can really add meaning, increase clarity, and, well, they're fun to use, unlike any other form of punctuation, such as, for example, the apostrophe, which is, in my opinion, rather dull and annoying.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:28 pm

The interrobang is best!

Isn't it the best‽
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:39 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:But, you know, lots of commas can really add meaning, increase clarity, and, well, they're fun to use, unlike any other form of punctuation, such as, for example, the apostrophe, which is, in my opinion, rather dull and annoying.

can you maybe just not post in this thread if you have nothing to add to the original topic?
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:It might just be me, but a lot of comics bring in videogame references unintentionally. Its two genres that come together quite well because of the nerdiness of both.

It's not just you.

A lot of comics bring in video game references and vice versa. It's kind of inevitable, as you said; they're both intertwined in each other so often as they are now with movies. It's when it is unintentional and smart at the same time when these references really work; like when Gizmo plays a video game in Gremlins. It doesn't feel shoehorned in.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 pm

I actually wasn't aware of a Sucker Punch comic (will seek it out), but as a movie I knew that Snyder basically said he wanted SP to look like a video game. So with that much in mind I thought this thread would be fun anyway to kind of find intentional (or maybe unintentional) VG references.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:56 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I need to see this movie! Mainly because I have a (small and not-creepy-at-all) infatuation with Vanessa Hudgens.

I had one of those too until I heard her sing.
Return to General Gaming