the Sucker Punch (movie) x Games connection

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

the Sucker Punch (movie) x Games connection

Post by noiseredux »

Please, let's not make this a thread debating the merits of Sucker Punch. I really enjoyed Sucker Punch. A lot of people did not. Whatever.

But for those that did enjoy it, I wanted to talk about the obvious and subtle video game connections.

First off, the jumping robot thing:

Not only did it have a rabbit painted on it, but it seemed straight out of Jumping Flash:

And of course there was the items... key, fire, knife, map.

I THINK that was probably a Zelda reference...

but perhaps just an "adventure game" reference in general.

I only watched it once, but felt like I caught more things that I said "dude, that feels like it's straight out of ________ game!"

Anybody else?
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

Re: the Sucker Punch (movie) x Games connection

Post by xan_racketBOY_fan »

I felt the entire movie was influenced by games in general. Nice observation with the jumping suit, maybe coincidence or it just made sense to throw a rabbit on there.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

I'm one of the people who does not think highly of the movie. I'm here to derail your thread.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

yeah, I paid to see that movie. It was okay, not mindblowing or award winning tho.

If you see it in a gaming sense, then you can understand where the op is comming from.

It did seem like the director was trying to give a gaming vibe to it.

Maybe movies like this one and Scott pilgrim will usher in a new genre in a few years. Gamer's movies?

Its a new type of media-mashup. Some of us dont care or arent ready for stuff like this.

Somewhere out there in the world, some 12 year old kid saw this movie and its gonna motivate him/her into a future artist/director/animator.

There's a movie out there that everyone can relate to. And it gives you that special little push into something new.

sorry for moving the topic in a new direction.

Yeah I really liked the samurai scenes where baby doll fights the giants. That really looked like a scene from a videogame.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

flojocabron wrote:Yeah I really liked the samurai scenes where baby doll fights the giants. That really looked like a scene from a videogame.

especially the first one. That was a beautiful scene.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoringSupreez wrote:I'm one of the people who does not think highly of the movie. I'm here to derail your thread.

you know I have the power to just delete your post right?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I need to see this movie! Mainly because I have a (small and not-creepy-at-all) infatuation with Vanessa Hudgens.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

noiseredux wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:I'm one of the people who does not think highly of the movie. I'm here to derail your thread.

you know I have the power to just delete your post right?

I often forget you're a mod, because you don't bother to capitalize things or use enough commas. :P
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I've had this sitting on my DVR for a few weeks now. I guess I should watch it?
Hateshinai
128-bit

Post by Hateshinai »

I only saw the trailer and my first thought was: that Samurai thing reminds me of the first boss from Turrican 2.
Mostly harmless