All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:09 pm
Posts: 28254
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
WiseFool22 wrote:
TL;DR version: What modern games do you hipsters play


I never lost my interest. There's tons of good games across all generations.


samesies.

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 pm
Posts: 3266
Location: Central Texas
I slowed down on my interest for a while, but Gears of War deffinetly renewed it. (Don't hate.) It felt so different when it first came out. It was something me and just a couple of friends played, and it was all about the coop. I still love the series, and even if a lot of gamers straight up hate the series, I still rate it highly.

_________________
ninjainspandex wrote:
Maybe I'm just a pervert


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline
16-bit
 Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 am
Posts: 58
Forlorn Drifter wrote:
I slowed down on my interest for a while, but Gears of War deffinetly renewed it. (Don't hate.) It felt so different when it first came out. It was something me and just a couple of friends played, and it was all about the coop. I still love the series, and even if a lot of gamers straight up hate the series, I still rate it highly.

I understand. I loved the original Halo, but I played the sequels mainly because of the ability to play coop with my friends and brothers. I think co-op can make a mediocre game a lot more fun.
And to everyone else, I'm not saying good games haven't and are not being made. I just lost focus and missed out on the good ones until games like portal brought me back in.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:26 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:47 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: I'VE NEVER SEEN AN OCELOT
The original Gears was not a mediocre game. Its use of the cover system was innovative, (Kill Switch sucked) the graphics were unrivaled at the time and the mechanics are rock solid. The two follow-ups, however, are essentially the exact same game in a different package.

_________________
backlog | steam | last.fm


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 pm 
Offline
16-bit
 Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 am
Posts: 58
sabrage wrote:
The original Gears was not a mediocre game.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant to say that the Halo sequels were mediocre in my opinion. I never really played the original Gears except for a few hours at a friends house so I can't pass judgement on it. I have played the sequels, and they just didn't do it for me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:14 pm
Posts: 5953
WiseFool22 wrote:
sabrage wrote:
The original Gears was not a mediocre game.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant to say that the Halo sequels were mediocre in my opinion. I never really played the original Gears except for a few hours at a friends house so I can't pass judgement on it. I have played the sequels, and they just didn't do it for me.


I thought Halo 2 was the best in the series, so far.

_________________
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:08 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:01 pm
Posts: 14463
Location: Shoreline, WA
sabrage wrote:
The original Gears was not a mediocre game. Its use of the cover system was innovative, (Kill Switch sucked) the graphics were unrivaled at the time and the mechanics are rock solid. The two follow-ups, however, are essentially the exact same game in a different package.

It was mediocre. So was Red Faction. Both included an innovative mechanic. But you need more than that.

_________________
Image
ZeroAX wrote:
You can't like TF2 and not like Nerf Now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:15 pm
Posts: 9656
Location: Florida
MrPopo wrote:
sabrage wrote:
The original Gears was not a mediocre game. Its use of the cover system was innovative, (Kill Switch sucked) the graphics were unrivaled at the time and the mechanics are rock solid. The two follow-ups, however, are essentially the exact same game in a different package.

It was mediocre. So was Red Faction. Both included an innovative mechanic. But you need more than that.


I would have to agree. I wouldn't even call Gears innovative. Cover systems were already done in shooters before Gears came out. Hell, Perfect Dark Zero had one. I never understood all the hoopla over the cover system. Big, frikking deal. It's a shooter. You'd think Gears re-invented the wheel or something. The graphics were great, but so what? You expect that from most big budget PS3 or Xbox 360 titles. Unrivaled is an overstatement.

_________________
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:

Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:43 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 8629
Location: Denver CO, USA
Regardless if it's a mediocre game. I really really liked Red Faction when it came out. It was one of the first PS2 games I had gotten.

_________________
XBL/PSN: GoldfishRT
NNID: GoldfishRT93
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Posts: 9224
Location: Adana, Turkey
Gamerforlife wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
sabrage wrote:
The original Gears was not a mediocre game. Its use of the cover system was innovative, (Kill Switch sucked) the graphics were unrivaled at the time and the mechanics are rock solid. The two follow-ups, however, are essentially the exact same game in a different package.

It was mediocre. So was Red Faction. Both included an innovative mechanic. But you need more than that.


I would have to agree. I wouldn't even call Gears innovative. Cover systems were already done in shooters before Gears came out. Hell, Perfect Dark Zero had one. I never understood all the hoopla over the cover system. Big, frikking deal. It's a shooter. You'd think Gears re-invented the wheel or something. The graphics were great, but so what? You expect that from most big budget PS3 or Xbox 360 titles. Unrivaled is an overstatement.

Don't forget GRAW (Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, in case it's been a long time since you've seen that acronym). It came out several months before GoW, and had basically all the same cover mechanics.

_________________
Image


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dunpeal2064 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: