Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Modern games that renewed your interest in gaming?

Post by Xeogred »

Don't forget Winback... on the N64.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

In my day the cover system was you found the nearest box and put it between you and your enemies. None of this auto-crouching and blind firing.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

MrPopo wrote:In my day the cover system was you found the nearest box and put it between you and your enemies. None of this auto-crouching and blind firing.

Damn straight. Lousy kids and their wall-huggin'.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

BurningDoom wrote:
WiseFool22 wrote:
sabrage wrote:The original Gears was not a mediocre game.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant to say that the Halo sequels were mediocre in my opinion. I never really played the original Gears except for a few hours at a friends house so I can't pass judgement on it. I have played the sequels, and they just didn't do it for me.

I thought Halo 2 was the best in the series, so far.

Halo: CE still has my favorite campaign. Halo 2 will probably always have my favorite multiplayer. Everything released since then has just gone downhill, IMO.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I have always stayed current in gaming. I also really liked gears. It was the first game in this generation that really felt next gen to me. I liked the scifi world and enjoyed the atmosphere and cheesy action movie feel of the game. It did have a fairly fresh cover system and nice coop play. The online matches were a blast to play as well. I played the 2 folllow ups mostly to finish off the story, but didn't play online like I did in the first. The horde mode for 2 was a lot of fun though.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I think my interest in gaming has always been there, but how much I'm obsessed with it has varied depending on whether I have people to talk with games about or to play games with. At times, I've been more obsessed with music making and music collecting, other arts, academic pursuits, or just being in love. When that happens, games just fade into the background temporarily.

What most recently got me obsessively back into gaming was a combination of Steam, GOG, and Racketboy. The first Steam games I bought were Audiosurf, Braid, and The Path. I had also just purchased World of Goo from the developers, and downloaded Cave Story, Iji, and Knytt. These games were my introduction into the indie gaming scene, which I love quite a bit.

Of the modern AAA titles, I've been most impressed with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Portal 2, The Orange Box, Street Fighter IV, The Witcher 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Mass Effect. All of these games did something exciting that had never been done before and were all a great experience.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Pichu
128-bit

Post by Pichu »

Well in the past few months (after Skyward Sword) my gaming interests have dipped, mainly because of school. But I did get a 3DS yesterday, and holy hot damn is it awesome! :lol: I had already accumulated 6 games over the past half-year, so I had 6 different genres/experiences just ready and waiting.

Plus, I bought $20 eShop to use whenever I want. My 360 is alright, I find that the typical big-budget stuff can be fun, but it doesn't really hook me. Exceptions being Enslaved and the Batman Arkham games.

Child of Eden and Portal however, are fantastic. I think I'll probably find a huge bump in interest when I get a PS3 later this year.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Xelyx wrote:Halo: CE still has my favorite campaign. Halo 2 will probably always have my favorite multiplayer. Everything released since then has just gone downhill, IMO.

Haven't played CE, but I still think the original Halo was a great game that didn't need to become a franchise. You can argue that it was an overrated game like Gears of War and that's fine. However, it was-at the very least, a well made shooter with good controls(for a console shooter), good story, good voice acting, great soundtrack, good enemy AI, fun gameplay and a surprisingly good multi-player mode. If deserves credit for one thing, it's created a good control scheme for other console shooters.

It's only real flaws were an overly long, campaign that started to repeat itself and the lame Flood. The introduction of the flood was done well, but every other appearance by them in the rest of the game was just annoying, especially that stupid, library level. There's also a part of me that hates Halo for being the catalyst for Microsoft trying to make every goddamn game in existence a multi-player, online experience and for them pumping out fifty gazillion shooters. I mean the 360 is basically the online, shooter console

So I guess I have a love/hate thing with Halo. At the end of the day though, it was a good game

Halo 2 just felt like a soulless sequel with a half-assed campaign and a broken, cheap as hell multi-player. God was it unbalanced
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Gamerforlife wrote:Haven't played CE, but I still think the original Halo

CE stands for Combat Evolved. It's just the full title of the original.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Haven't played CE, but I still think the original Halo

CE stands for Combat Evolved. It's just the full title of the original.

Yeah I forgot about that, I thought we were making reference to that new, remake of it that came out recently
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.