High difficulty JRPGs

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: High difficulty JRPGs

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Have you given the etrian odyssey games a try? I haven't gotten around to playing them yet but I hear they are challenging
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

AppliCotton, play Demon's Souls. It's not retro, but after reading your first post, I can say it's exactly what you're looking for. It's got that whole "what do I do now?" vibe big time, and needless to say, the difficulty is through the roof. You'll like it.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

noiseredux wrote:weird. I thought the laws thing was really interesting.

The laws ARE interesting. They require you to have a well balanced group that can handle anything thrown at them.
It's just annoying if you're not used to it or not paying attention before you go into battle; but I like that it makes you think.
I'd be nice if the AI didn't cheat though.
...just another lost soul...
AppliCotton
16-bit

Post by AppliCotton »

brunoafh wrote:AppliCotton, play Demon's Souls. It's not retro, but after reading your first post, I can say it's exactly what you're looking for. It's got that whole "what do I do now?" vibe big time, and needless to say, the difficulty is through the roof. You'll like it.

Yeah right... A friend of a friend is like the regional champion in Street Fighter IV and he got into it... just today my friend told me he's given up :(

Not that I haven't been tempted though. I've been getting into shoot 'em ups to give myself a real challenge... by the end of the summer I'd like to 1cc DonPachi and/or finish Battle Garegga with the two or three continues it gives you.
1. Guilty Gear
2. Dimahoo
3. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

nightrnr wrote:The laws ARE interesting. They require you to have a well balanced group that can handle anything thrown at them.

that was my feeling. I guess the laws is the make/break for the game. So yeah, if you're not into the concept, then FFTA is not for you. But really, that was a big part of what I liked so much about the game. Even when I was frustrated by a law, I was having fun.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:
nightrnr wrote:The laws ARE interesting. They require you to have a well balanced group that can handle anything thrown at them.

that was my feeling. I guess the laws is the make/break for the game. So yeah, if you're not into the concept, then FFTA is not for you. But really, that was a big part of what I liked so much about the game. Even when I was frustrated by a law, I was having fun.

It didn't break the game for me, I still thought it was decent. But it lessened it. The poor story and make your own map aspect were my biggest gripes.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Have you given the etrian odyssey games a try? I haven't gotten around to playing them yet but I hear they are challenging

I loved the Etrian Odyssey series. It's a modern upgrade to the Wizardry formula, so you get to plan out a skill-tree build for your party members, and things aren't quite as ball-crushingly hard. And it's fun to make the map on the touch screen.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

noiseredux wrote:weird. I thought the laws thing was really interesting.

The fuck? How do I block a user?
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

I found Azure Dreams to be rather difficult.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Jmustang1968 wrote:It didn't break the game for me, I still thought it was decent. But it lessened it. The poor story and make your own map aspect were my biggest gripes.

I loved that game. And while I agree about the story compared to the console version, you have to remember handheld game = shorter playing time, so there should also be less story development. That doesn't mean it excuses the game from having a kind of lousy story (it wasn't that bad imo) cause excellent storytelling involves telling more with less, but that is hardly JRPG game's forte right?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.