Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

What Game Would You Like To Play Again For the First Time?

by BurningDoom Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:50 pm

If you could erase a game from your memory and experience for the first time all over again, which would they be?

Morrowind for XBox, for sure. When I first played it, I had never played another game like it my life. No other game had so much to do, so much environment and NPCs to interact with, such an open-world. It was jaw-droppingly amazing. The game was just huge and insanely immersive for the time. Nothing else compared back then.

King's Field (U.S. edition) on PS1 would be another I'd love to experience for the first time again. Exploring the dark, dangerous world that makes up King's Field was an experience, for sure. You were completely on your own in this game, no game guide, no NPC to hold your hand, you were dropped at the edge of an island where you had shipwrecked and that's it. You then proceed to multiple areas only to encounter death, that's when you discover this game isn't gonna be like your average video game. You then take a more cautious approach as you explore the caverns and catacombs that fill the depths of this island, upgrading your weapons, armor, and magic along the way. The game really gives you this sense of loneliness and danger.

Of course nothing beats the first time I played Super Mario Bros. on NES. That was the moment I truly fell in love in gaming. Just the pure joy of getting firepower, jumping on a Goomba, breaking blocks, and making my way to the goal to the right was like a euphoric high. I played this at a friends house. After that, NES became like digital crack to me, I just couldn't get enough, and I wouldn't shut up about it. My mom and Grandpa went in on halfs to get me one for Christmas when I was like 6 or 7. I got Star Soldier, Legend of Zelda, Pin-Bot, TMNT 1 with it, and of course the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cartridge that came with the NES. We did have an Atari 2600 in my older sister's room before that, but I'd get bored with the Atari 2600 rather quickly. I have Mario to thank for my love of gaming that continues to this day.
Last edited by BurningDoom on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
SpaceBooger

Re: What Game Would You Like To Play Again For the First Tim

by SpaceBooger Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Any game that was highly hyped up. Almost every game that is claimed to be the "best ever" or "if you never played that then your not a retro gamer" etc has lead to dissapointment due to my extra high expectations. There are too many of these situations to list and for all of them I would love to play without inflated expectations.

The most recent game that came to mind was Batman Arkham City. I played Arkham Asylum for the first time last year, after most of the hype wore off, and never really read much about it since I didn't have a current gen console and I loved that game. Then Arkham City came out. The hype, even on this board, before the game was released and the praise after the game was released got me hoping for something that was 150% better than the first game. Unfortunately the game was not that much better and I felt disappointed and even considered the game "so-so" or average because it was 100% as good as the first not 150% better.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Symphony of the Night. My love for that game is so retardedly immense that I would like to see if I would still love it as much today with fresh eyes. Also, Borderlands. Same deal with the immense love, I would just love to experience it for the first time again and again. (I have the full set of Steam achievements for it, and it would be fun if I could erase them and do it all again, but alas..I have a life! There's always Borderlands 2..)
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Demon's Souls or God Hand.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm

I've actually thought about this before, and ones that immediately pop into my mind are Shadow of the Colossus and Catherine.
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 pm

noiseredux wrote:I've actually thought about this before, and ones that immediately pop into my mind are Shadow of the Colossus and Catherine.

I second Shadow of the Colossus, big time. And as lame as it probably is I'd also have to say Majora's Mask. Those are two games that I loved and played to death, to the point that if I played them again it'd be completely by memory and therefore not as enjoyable. :(
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 pm

There are probably a lot, but some of the first ones that come to mind are Mega Man Legends, Psychonauts, and Portal.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:41 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:The most recent game that came to mind was Batman Arkham City. I played Arkham Asylum for the first time last year, after most of the hype wore off, and never really read much about it since I didn't have a current gen console and I loved that game. Then Arkham City came out. The hype, even on this board, before the game was released and the praise after the game was released got me hoping for something that was 150% better than the first game. Unfortunately the game was not that much better and I felt disappointed and even considered the game "so-so" or average because it was 100% as good as the first not 150% better.

I had the reverse of your situation. I was slightly dissapointed by Arkham Asylum because of all the hype, so I didn't have unrealistic expectations of Arkham City. I ended up loving Arkham City, and is my pick for GOTY 2011.

I'd really like to be able to replay Ocarina of Time, Half-Life 2, and both KOTOR games for the first time again. Loved them the first time through, but the awe and wonder has worn off after so many playthroughs. Also, COD 4. I was somewhat surprised by some of the things that happened in that game, because other FPS games hadn't really done them before. Now all the amazing stuff that game did has become commonplace.
Last edited by BoringSupreez on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:42 pm

BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:45 pm

dsheinem wrote:Image

prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Return to General Gaming