Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Tony Hawk Game?

by noiseredux Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 pm

KDub wrote:I should also add that if you aren't playing 1 & 2 on Dreamcast you are missing out on the best versions.

I originally played them on DC "back in the day," and then subsequently bought them on PS1. I have no problem with the PS1 versions... what makes the DC versions "best"?
KDub
Next-Gen

by KDub Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Well for one thing at least for me, it is just much easier to play/enjoy. It is much smoother, brighter, clean polygons etc. I don't feel like I have to squint through fog to see what I am going to do next, plus it just runs faster.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
KDub wrote:I should also add that if you aren't playing 1 & 2 on Dreamcast you are missing out on the best versions.

You obviously haven't heard of the Xbox release.

Yep. Basically both DC games on one disc, for oXbox.

noiseredux wrote:

I originally played them on DC "back in the day," and then subsequently bought them on PS1. I have no problem with the PS1 versions... what makes the DC versions "best"?

Better much better graphics, higher framerate, faster loads.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 pm

KDub wrote:Well for one thing at least for me, it is just much easier to play/enjoy. It is much smoother, brighter, clean polygons etc. I don't feel like I have to squint through fog to see what I am going to do next, plus it just runs faster.

The fog was just as bad in the DC versions IIRC.

Again, Xbox version, extra special effects, no fog, all the levels from the original and 2, plus two other levels:

I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
KDub
Next-Gen

by KDub Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 pm

There is no fog in the DC versions.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:01 pm

^the Xbox version certainly looks great. The PS1 versions never bothered me. I guess cuz I ended up playing those more than the DC versions in the long run. Shrug.
eskil
32-bit

by eskil Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:17 pm

The second one holds a special place in my heart since it's the first one I played.
But realistically, I'd say THUG was when the achieved perfection. My only gripe with that one was that by this point, the series had placed a lot less emphasis on realism. But that didn't bother me much since the games are just so much fun.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 pm

hmm, a lot of you guys seem to like THUG a lot huh? I couldn't get into that one because of all the off-your-skateboard stuff you had to do. It felt more like an action game than a skateboarding game to me.
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Now I want to try the Dreamcast and xbox versions. But since I don't have a Dreamcast anymore, I guess I'd be more likely to try it on the xbox. :P
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:34 pm

I loved these games and as others pointed out, they were almost addictive in how much time would pass as you played. I definitely have a lot of nostalgic feelings around the time I put into those first two.
Return to General Gaming