Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jay_red
Next-Gen

Favorite Tony Hawk Game?

by jay_red Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 am

I was just thinking about this, and wanted to see what you guys thought. The first THPS was so revolutionary, it blew everything out of the water, any skating game before it was not obsolete, and every one after it never stood a chance (not counting Skate). I loved the series, and was always looking forward to the next installment.

I played them religiously, and when Tony Hawks Underground (THUG) came out, I didnt think the series could ever get better, and boy was I right, every game after it was more gimmicky and less enjoyable than the last. I only made it to Project 8 before giving up completely on the series.

Anyway, my favorite hands down was THUG, the freedom to do goals at your leisure, a (somewhat) engaging story, and the best levels the series had (Moscow anyone?) I put a ton of time into this game, even putting many hours in online (dial-up connection baby!).

So lets remember a simpler time when Tony Hawk was at its peak and people genuinely looked forward to its installments. Lets hear it, whats your favorite THPS game? What did you love about it so much, and when did you finally give up on the series?
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
BRIK
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Tony Hawk Game?

by BRIK Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 am

THPS2. I got it for free in a cereal packet.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 am

I used to love the Tony Hawk games on the N64. The first one was awesome and I beat the hell out of it (every skater, 100%) and same with THPS 2 when I played it. I didn't get to the 3rd one until later on, but I enjoyed it a lot also. I haven't played much of any of the ones made since then, so I can't say much about them. I don't know if I can pick a favorite, as much as I enjoyed playing THPS and THPS 2 back in the day. I just know I loved trying to get 100% with every single skater, trying to totally clear the gap list and find every little secret. Good times. :)
Bikeage
128-bit

by Bikeage Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 am

The first one on the Dreamcast brings back great memories.... except when my roommate back then got fired and spent a whole month playing it 24/7 instead of looking for a job.
jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:56 am

harper wrote:I used to love the Tony Hawk games on the N64. The first one was awesome and I beat the hell out of it (every skater, 100%) and same with THPS 2 when I played it. I didn't get to the 3rd one until later on, but I enjoyed it a lot also. I haven't played much of any of the ones made since then, so I can't say much about them. I don't know if I can pick a favorite, as much as I enjoyed playing THPS and THPS 2 back in the day. I just know I loved trying to get 100% with every single skater, trying to totally clear the gap list and find every little secret. Good times. :)

My problem with the n64 versions was the sound track being cut (for obvious limitations of the cart) because one of my favorite things was the music, hell many bands I listen to today are because I heard a song on a Tony Hawk game. Oh and the controls with the c buttons was not as easy as a PS controller.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 am

I love classic Tony Hawk games, The Pro Skater series, I beat every one of those games 100% including all gaps, I was utterly addicted. Once they started adding the 'story' element and all this exploring crap, it started getting old really fast.

I think my fav is Tony Hawk 3, while THPS2 was a massive step up from the first, the revert just made it so much fun to link massive lines together.

About a year and a half ago I did a little review on the original game, feel free to watch and bring back some memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJqzleHLG0
KDub
Next-Gen

by KDub Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:14 am

1-3 were the best with 3 probably being my favorite of those.

The first Underground was really awesome too. After that I stopped playing them though, they got very meh.
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:25 am

jay_red wrote:
harper wrote:I used to love the Tony Hawk games on the N64. The first one was awesome and I beat the hell out of it (every skater, 100%) and same with THPS 2 when I played it. I didn't get to the 3rd one until later on, but I enjoyed it a lot also. I haven't played much of any of the ones made since then, so I can't say much about them. I don't know if I can pick a favorite, as much as I enjoyed playing THPS and THPS 2 back in the day. I just know I loved trying to get 100% with every single skater, trying to totally clear the gap list and find every little secret. Good times. :)

My problem with the n64 versions was the sound track being cut (for obvious limitations of the cart) because one of my favorite things was the music, hell many bands I listen to today are because I heard a song on a Tony Hawk game. Oh and the controls with the c buttons was not as easy as a PS controller.

Yeah that's understandable. But those are the ones I grew up with and the only versions I played so it didn't bother me. I was used to the controls and the soundtracks being the way they were.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:02 am

THPS3, specifically, the oXbox version running on a 360 (60 FPS and AA FTW!). THPS4 had better graphics and a better soundtrack, but I love the classic Tony Hawk gameplay of the first three games, which THPS3 perfected.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 am

Pro Skater 2 on the N64.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
Return to General Gaming