Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Gamerforlife Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Flake wrote:1/2 Cannon Spike (DC)

Fun little game. I honestly have no idea what to make of it. It's a mish mash of really random bosses, stages, and player characters. It's a lot of fun all the same, though.

If there was only one thing I'd change to improve the game, it'd be to give the shooting controls more of a Smash TV style approach. Having to turn towards what you want to shoot is a bit of a liability when you are dodging bullets.


I keep meaning to actually play this through to the end. This is a nice reminder.


I really want to try that game some time myself. I plan on getting a VGA cable before the year ends and blowing the dust off my Dreamcast
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Gamerforlife Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Games beaten so far:
1. Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare (Gold Star save file)
2. Sonic Generations - PS3
3. Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS (with a five glittering star save file)
4. Starship Defense (All no SOS perfects) - DSiWare
5. Soul of Darkness - DSiWare
6. Mutant Mudds (All crystals and water sprouts) - 3DS Eshop
7. The Simpsons Arcade (US Version) - PS3
8. DodoGo! - DSiWare - (Golden egg on every stage)
9. Mass Effect 2 - 360 (Insanity mode difficulty with Sentinel class)
10. Mass Effect 3 - 360 (Insanity mode with Adept)
11. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 (Platinum trophy)
12. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
13. The Darkness II - Xbox 360
14. Lollipop Chainsaw - PS3 (Platinum trophy) and 360 version (all achievements)
15. Dust: An Elysian Tale - Xbox Live Arcade
16. Cthulu Saves the World - Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Indie Games)
17. Double Dragon Neon - Xbox 360
18. Mark of the Ninja - Xbox 360

Journey(PS3) - New!

Image

Wow! This experience is amazing. That's right. I'm not calling it a game. Okay, it's totally a game, but only in the same way we call Team Ico titles games. Journey is emotional, cinematic, artistic ride that stays with you. I was lucky enough to encounter three other players, so I had a constant companion throughout the majority of the game. Though I honestly thought I was playing with the same person throughout the whole game. If you've played the game, you know why that is. I was so happy to get the Crossing and Companion trophies as I didn't expect to nab those on my first playthrough. Man I've played a lot of fun digital download titles this year
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by noiseredux Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Journey(PS3) - New!

Image

Wow! This experience is amazing. That's right. I'm not calling it a game. Okay, it's totally a game, but only in the same way we call Team Ico titles games. Journey is emotional, cinematic, artistic ride that stays with you. I was lucky enough to encounter three other players, so I had a constant companion throughout the majority of the game. Though I honestly thought I was playing with the same person throughout the whole game. If you've played the game, you know why that is. I was so happy to get the Crossing and Companion trophies as I didn't expect to nab those on my first playthrough. Man I've played a lot of fun digital download titles this year


so far this is my GOTY, and I find it hard to believe anything will change my mind in the next few months. It was beyond a game -- as you said an experience. For me an emotional one. What's even crazier is after beating it, a week later I watched my wife play through it and beat it with the assistance of some stranger, and it was just as emotional and riveting to sit there and watch someone else play through it. Just staggering.
Image
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Gamerforlife Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:27 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Journey(PS3) - New!

Image

Wow! This experience is amazing. That's right. I'm not calling it a game. Okay, it's totally a game, but only in the same way we call Team Ico titles games. Journey is emotional, cinematic, artistic ride that stays with you. I was lucky enough to encounter three other players, so I had a constant companion throughout the majority of the game. Though I honestly thought I was playing with the same person throughout the whole game. If you've played the game, you know why that is. I was so happy to get the Crossing and Companion trophies as I didn't expect to nab those on my first playthrough. Man I've played a lot of fun digital download titles this year


so far this is my GOTY, and I find it hard to believe anything will change my mind in the next few months. It was beyond a game -- as you said an experience. For me an emotional one. What's even crazier is after beating it, a week later I watched my wife play through it and beat it with the assistance of some stranger, and it was just as emotional and riveting to sit there and watch someone else play through it. Just staggering.


You know I got so used to playing with a partner (as there was always one with me) that I found myself wondering how exactly this experience would have been like solo. You develop a certain sense of co dependency with the person you're playing with, as you sort of guide each other through the game and go through the same struggles together. I'm not typically into competitive multi-player gaming which is so popular these days, but I really enjoy a nice co op experience like this.

The soundtrack was amazing. I really wish I could download it from somewhere. When I think back to all the fuss about next gen gaming, I think titles like this are what some of us where thinking of. This was the sort of amazing experience only a game can deliver. I really think thatgamecompany is the new Team Ico. They're just delivering those Team Ico-like amazing experiences in smaller, bit sized, digital download doses.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
brunoafh
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by brunoafh Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:27 pm

I recently played Journey (via that compilation release) and can't say I was trilled by it... been meaning to post something about that here. It was definitely cool and I don't regret my purchase one bit, but it didn't seem like anything other than a (visually awesome) puzzle/platform game. Didn't strike me as emotional in any way. But the other player stuff was cool, I was certain I was playing with the same person the whole time but after I beat it, it said I played with 6 other people.

I'm not slamming it at all, and I believe it's thatgamecompany's finest effort yet, but if didn't evoke any emotion from me or anything. I'd play it again for the eye candy alone however.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by noiseredux Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:You know I got so used to playing with a partner (as there was always one with me) that I found myself wondering how exactly this experience would have been like solo.


I think you can play it not connected to the internet, though I've never tried.

brunoafh wrote:I'm not slamming it at all, and I believe it's thatgamecompany's finest effort yet, but if didn't evoke any emotion from me or anything. I'd play it again for the eye candy alone however.


Really dude? Not even the

falling in the snow / fade to white? Honestly, that teared me up. Seriously.


Maybe you don't have a heart? :lol:
Image
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Gamerforlife Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Funny thing is though, while there are poignant moments like the one you mentioned in the spoiler tag, I'm also amazed by the way the game can capture moments of sheer bliss in gaming form like the

part where you are sliding through the sand with your companion with this beautiful backdrop

Image
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
brunoafh
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by brunoafh Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:39 pm

noiseredux wrote:Maybe you don't have a heart? :lol:

That's pretty accurate. Actually, at that part I remember thinking "ohhh a break, time a swig."

Still, I eagerly await what this group is going to come out with next. Would be amazing to see what they could do with a large budget.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by noiseredux Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Funny thing is though, while there are poignant moments like the one you mentioned in the spoiler tag, I'm also amazed by the way the game can capture moments of sheer bliss in gaming form like the

part where you are sliding through the sand with your companion with this beautiful backdrop

Image


Oh man! Totally the most fun and just AMAZING part of the game for sure.

Also, there was a moment that scared me --

the "searcher" things that get you in the water area.


--but that's the thing about this game. It's emotional, but I mean that in the sense that it caused a lot of different emotions in me over the span of 2 hours.
Image
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23119
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by dsheinem Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 pm

noiseredux wrote:so far this is my GOTY, and I find it hard to believe anything will change my mind in the next few months.


I'm inclined to agree, though Borderlands 2 is giving it a real run for the money so far...
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests