15. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360)
16. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
17. VVVVVV (3DS)
18. Saints Row: The Third (360)
19. Resident Evil 4 HD (XBLA)
20. Dear Esther (Steam)
21. Ys Seven (PSP)
22. Fez (XBLA)
23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)
24. Max Payne 3 (360)
25. Lollipop Chainsaw (360)
26. The Darkness II (360)

Between moving, E3 and having guests for two weeks straight I fell a little behind in my gaming. I think I made up for it over the past week, though.

Max Payne 3: Fantastic game. Great presentation, exciting gun fights and entertaining writing. A must for Max fans, and a very strong recommendation for action game and shooter fans.

Lollipop Chainsaw: I love Suda51 and his crazy games, so this was right up my alley. Less forgiving gamers may not find it as fun. The gameplay doesn't write any new rules, and the levels are very linear, but the overall experience is funny and charming. Think of No More Heroes meets Shadows of the Damned and you'll be somewhere in the ballpark of Lollipop Chainsaw. If you're unsure, definitely try to rent it or pick it up cheap. If you haven't enjoyed Suda's previous games, this one won't change your mind.

The Darkness II: Loved it, which took me by complete surprise. I thought the first Darkness was pretty good, but nothing to get excited about. The Darkness II streamlined what was clunky in the first, and just removed what was broken all together. What they came out with was a very smooth action game with lots of options for fighting your way through groups of baddies. Variety and simplicity with a lot of really cool moments made for a game that was hard to turn off.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by final fight cd Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:50 pm

snatcher - sega cd
keio flying squadron - sega cd
lords of thunder -sega cd
robo aleste - sega cd
android assault - sega cd

not much to say about this, besides it is pretty damn easy.

keio > lords of thunder > robo aleste > android assault
if you took a shit, please put it back
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm

final fight cd wrote:lords of thunder > all other 16-bit/8-bit shmups

FTFY
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita
Ys 1 - PSP
Journey - PS3
X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Street Fighter X Tekken - PS3
Mass Effect 3 - 360
Mass Effect 3: From Ashes - 360
Mystic Warriors - Wrath of the Ninja - Arcade (MAME)
Dragon Blaze - Arcade (MAME)
Shadows of the Damned - 360
Arabian Nights (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Driver: San Francisco 360
Skull Girls - PS3
Wolfenstien 3D - iOS
Skull and Crossbones - Arcade (MAME)
Diablo III - PC
Resistance: Burning Skies - Vita
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -PS3 *new*
Final Fantasy IV - PSP *new*

TOTAL: 35

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

VF5:FS is fun for what it is and I enjoyed it.

FFIV I talked about in the Summer Challenge thread. I liked it somewhat until I was forced to grind for hours at the end, then I didn't like it. IMHO it doesn't hold up well anymore in light of the much better 16-bit RPGs that exist.
Last edited by dsheinem on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:42 pm

dsheinem wrote:Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -PS3 *new*

Just wondering, how do you beat VF5...?

This looks like a really cool thread. I'm a bit late but I'll see if I can remember what I've done so far this year:

Cogs - Mac
Sonic Generations - PS3
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection - PS3
Sonic Unleashed - PS3
Sly Cooper and the Thievious Raccoonus - PS3
Child of Eden - PS3
Rocket Knight - PS3
Soldner X 2 : Final Prototype - PS3
Outrun Online Arcade - PS3
Castlevania - NES
Akumajou Dracula X Chronicle - PSP
Akumajou Dracula X : Chi no Rondo - PSP
Akumajou Dracula X : Gekka no Yasoukyoku - PSP
Gradius - PSP
Xexex - PSP
Akumajou Dracula - Ubawareta Kokukin - DS
Christmas Nights - Saturn
Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG - Saturn
Keito no Kirby - Wii
Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets - Xbox 360
Mushihimesama Futari

[b]Cogs : I love puzzle games, and this one gave me a number of brain busters. still a lot of stars I could go for for 100% completion.

Sonic Generations : Had a grand ol' time with this one. Absolutely despise the final boss. Only trophy I haven't gotten.

Ico... : I loved these games on the PS2, and I still love them today. Finally getting to see translated Yorda-speak and the light saber were worth the price of admission alone for me. Platinum trophied Ico, but still have the BS maxed stats trophies to deal with in Wander.

Sonic Unleashed : Werehog is awful. Night stages are simply too damn long. I really liked the day stages, though. The side missions distracted me too much. It's usually not fun for me when the completionist in me is distracting me from what I really want to do. If the game had been entirely day stages and nothing else, it would have been a solid 9/10.

Sly... : It's sly as I remember, but prettier. Actually didn't have quite as much fun as I did playing it on the PS2 back in the day, but still a great game regardless.

Child of Eden - What can I say? I'm a sucker for just about anything and everything Mizuguchi.

Rocket Knight - Pretty good, although it mostly made me feel like giving the original a fair playthrough. Final Boss is a PoS

Soldner X 2 : Painfully average. I gave it a quick playthrough, and I doubt I'll touch it much in the future.

Outrun Online Arcade : Fantastic. There really Needs to be an Outrun 2 SP arcade machine on every corner. If I ever run for president, that'll be the platform I run on.

Castlevania : Oh so fantastically brutal. Could not have more fun having my ass repeatedly handed to me.

Akumajou Dracula X... : Was a breeze coming from the original. Rondo kicked it up a notch, but SotN lowered it again. Great games, definitely prefer the OG vania style, but metroidvanias are good in their own right.

Gradius : 1cced and haven't really picked it back up since. I still have night terrors about the final corridor....

Xexex : I LOVE this game, but I'm still a long way from a 1cc.

...Ubawareta Kokuin : Not bad. I got suckered in by the art style. The difficulty in this one annoyed me.

Christmas Nights : Not gonna lie, I was expecting the full game christmas themed, but still a joy to finally get a chance to play.

Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG : While it doesn't quite feel robust enough for me to declare it the greatest RPG of all time, it's definitely an experience that will stick with me. Definitely loved the combat system.

Keito no Kirby : Got a little bit tired of it toward the end but has a great soundtrack, and up until the end of the first world I thought I had died and gone to gaming heaven. Easy 100% clear.

Muchi Muchi... : So brutal I doubt I'll ever be able to 1cc it. Definitely more of a fan of Ibara Black label and Battle Garegga, though.

Mushihimesama Futari : So in love with this game, although I started to catch on to the scoring system before 1ccing it, and now I'm kinda stuck in a weird limbo on stage 3.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

you have excellent taste in games, pierrot.

As far as beating fighting games go, I always consider one beaten when I simply play through the arcade mode (or story mode) and get an ending. Though certainly it's a personal interpretation. Some might go for the 1CC (I often do actually), while others feel the need to beat arcade mode using every single character. I personally find that excessive, but again -- this thread is more for chronicling your own yearly victories.

tl;dr: general rule of thumb for most of us is "credits = beat."
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 pm

noiseredux wrote:you have excellent taste in games, pierrot.

As far as beating fighting games go, I always consider one beaten when I simply play through the arcade mode (or story mode) and get an ending. Though certainly it's a personal interpretation. Some might go for the 1CC (I often do actually), while others feel the need to beat arcade mode using every single character. I personally find that excessive, but again -- this thread is more for chronicling your own yearly victories.

tl;dr: general rule of thumb for most of us is "credits = beat."

All right, well that makes sense. Thanks.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 pm

dsheinem wrote:

FTFY

lords of thunder is a great game, but it is pretty easy. on default settings i think i died only once, which was on my first play through in probably close to 2 years. i think i may be partial to keio because out of the four sega cd shmups i've beaten so far i've spent the most time with that one.

have you played both the sega cd and the turbo grafx version of L of T? if so, how do they compare?
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:10 pm

final fight cd wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

FTFY

lords of thunder is a great game, but it is pretty easy. on default settings i think i died only once, which was on my first play through in probably close to 2 years. i think i may be partial to keio because out of the four sega cd shmups i've beaten so far i've spent the most time with that one.

have you played both the sega cd and the turbo grafx version of L of T? if so, how do they compare?

Seriously?! Easy to you? I hate you. That's one of those games I always give a go after getting done with whatever game I'm playing currently. I can get pretty far at this point, but I have yet to beat the game.

However I love the hell out of it. One of my all-time favorite shoot-em ups. Fantastic graphics and a killer soundtrack.

Are you a bullet-hell player? That could be why it's difficult for me. I love shoot-em ups, but just don't have to skill to dive into the bullet-hell sub-genre.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:29 pm

BurningDoom wrote:
Seriously?! Easy to you? I hate you. That's one of those games I always give a go after getting done with whatever game I'm playing currently. I can get pretty far at this point, but I have yet to beat the game.

However I love the hell out of it. One of my all-time favorite shoot-em ups. Fantastic graphics and a killer soundtrack.

Are you a bullet-hell player? That could be why it's difficult for me. I love shoot-em ups, but just don't have to skill to dive into the bullet-hell sub-genre.

haha i would actually call myself a shitty shmup player. are you sure we are talking about he same game? looking back, i don't recall a portion of the game or a boss fight that i ever had problems with. do you collect enough coins to replenish your health and magic bar(?) after each level?
Return to General Gaming