Puzzle Agent 2 (2/2) PC
Dinner Date (2/15) PC
NyxQuest (2/19) PC
Dear Esther (2/20) PC
The Stanley Parable (2/21) PC
To The Moon (2/26) PC
Escape Goat (6/16) PC

Wow, it has been a few months since I've seen credits roll. :shock:

Escape Goat is like Solomon's Key and Super Meat Boy had a kid (get it... kid... baby goat... I kid, I kid). In other words it combines the 2D puzzle platforming of Solomon's Key with some of the crazy precision platforming of Super Meat Boy (though it's never quite as difficult). The controls are basic and stay the same throughout the game, however, the level design gets increasingly challenging. There are some levels that emphasize tricky puzzles and some that emphasize precision platforming and timing. At it's most insane, the game has levels with interconnected moving parts that operate like one giant machine that you have to navigate and solve while everything keeps moving.

It's part of the current Indie Royale Bundle if you want to give it a shot. I had a blast with it even though I passed the main game in just over 3 hours (and 357 deaths, but all rooms were completed). Beating the main game unlocked a separate set of uber hard levels called "for all intensive purposes", which I haven't quite finished yet, but for now the main game is done.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by J T Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:02 am

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1/12) PC
Mirror's Edge (1/18) PC
Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23) PC
Puzzle Agent 2 (2/2) PC
Dinner Date (2/15) PC
NyxQuest (2/19) PC
Dear Esther (2/20) PC
To The Moon (2/26) PC
Escape Goat (6/16) PC
Rayman Origins (6/17) PC

I just beat Rayman Origins. I haven't collected 100% of everything, but I did get to the credits. This game was just so fun and joyful. I really love it.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:13 am

Brutal Legend for XBox 360. Very fun. I recommend this one for any gamer that's a metal fan.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:36 pm

snatcher - sega cd
keio flying squadron - sega cd
lords of thunder -sega cd
robo aleste - sega cd

the sequel to MUSHA? or just a spiritual successor? i hate that the bullets for most enemies are small little dots that tend to blend in with the background making it difficult to see at times. but, you are able to shoot "down" the bullets as long as your powerful enough which helps to alleviate some of the cheap deaths and frustration. also, the power-ups tend to be overpowered, especially the laser. with level 3 laser and the gun at a high enough level you can just sit there in one place and kill level bosses. literally, just sit there while holding down the fire button and you will wreck shit and not take one hit. all that said, still a solid game.

so far:
keio>lords of thunder>robo aleste
if you took a shit, please put it back
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:54 pm

Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
7 out of 10

Good rpg, but EXTREMELY overrated. It has a great story. The graphics are about as good as you're going to get on the Wii and the soundtrack is excellent. The combat system is good, with some nifty ideas, but it's nothing I haven't seen in other rpgs. Plus, it just pales in comparison to the elegant, fast paced, stylish, cinematic combat system in FF XIII and FF XIII-2. The game has other cool things like a save anywhere feature, the ability to teleport to certain specific locations, a nice new game plus mode, and the affinity system.

The affinity system basically encourages you to increase the relationship between your party members AND the relationships between NPCs, which also increases your relationship with that particular town or area and its people. Affinity increases your party's effectiveness and allows you get certain special items through interacting with NPCs. Essentially, this is a game about comeraderie, friendship and community.

However, the gameplay is dragged down a LOT by the ridiculous amount of time you spend roaming around a seemingly endless world map doing the same repetitive, tedious, boring side quests over and over again (there's between 400 to 500 of them :shock: ). Essentially, every time you get to a new area you are tasked with the same objectives. Go and kill a bunch of monsters and do a bunch of fetch quests. The best part? You often are not even told where to find the monsters for your quests, or where to find the items that you need to fetch. Have fun aimlessly wondering around the game's MASSIVE area maps trying to figure those things out. Sadly, you NEED to do these boring quests to really level up in this game. There are longs stretches of time when you're just bored out of your mind doing all this crap and have to turn the game off and pick it back up another time. This feels like a game with a lot of padding just so that it can boast a long playtime. You see articles about this game raving about it large amount of side quests, never once mentioning just how tedious, boring, and repetitive they are though. This isn't Skyrim or Mass Effect, games with INTERESTING side quests.

On top of all that, you have a clunky, dated equipment system, a gem crafting system that is confusing and largely useless until late in the game, and a map that is way too small forcing you to constantly pull up the big map from the menu, which always takes a couple of seconds to load. Oh, and I can't forget the annoying quick time events you constantly having to do throughout the game to increase party morale in combat, QTEs that use the inconveniently placed B button on the back on the Wii remote.

If you want a similar, but in my opinion better game, play Final Fantasy XII. So much of the way Xenoblade is designed is similar to that game with its MMO styled world maps (with enemies roaming around in plain sight, including many that are much higher level than you), and combat. I'm quite certain that game was an influence in Xenoblade's design. Xenoblade is good, but not the flawless masterpiece the gaming press has made it out to be. It's good, but not that good. It does have a very good story, which is the best reason I can think of to recommend this game. SquareEnix could learn a thing or two from this game about story telling.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Shenmue II -- Dreamcast (January 9)
Golden Axe Warrior -- Sega Master System (January 19)
Ys I -- Turbo CD (March 22)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 -- Dreamcast (April 30)
Warioware Twisted - Game Boy Advance (May 30)
Wolfenstein 3D - Game Boy Advance (May 31)
*NEW* Warioware Inc. - Game Boy Advance (June 15)

Love these Warioware titles. Beaten the main game, but replaying the levels again will unlock more games not seen before and other stuff. Final boss stages on both this one and Twisted! are the stuff of legend.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy). This must have been one of the most ambitious handheld games ever when it was first released.

For those who don't know, this is the predecessor of Secret of Mana. It plays in a similar fashion; it's an action RPG with weapon charging, magic, and AI-controlled secondary characters.

The mechanics are easy to learn and most enemies and bosses are simple; the challenge comes form the fact that the game is cryptic as hell. I have no idea how people had the patience to solve these puzzles back in the day (my brother played this in the '90s, said it took him a year and a half to beat). It's also quite easy to get lost and disoriented on the overworld, as many areas look drab and redundant.

Overall, this is a solid game. Just don't expect it to be on par with Secret of Mana or Link's Awakening (which has a similar "look").

Games Beaten 2012
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
Ys Book I & II (TCD)
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (SNES)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Lunar Legend (GBA)
Breath of Fire (GBA)
Ys Seven (PSP)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Trip World 3DS VC
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Asterix SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
Picross DS DS
Half Minute Hero PSP
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
StarTropics VC
Faselei! NGPC
Ninja Commando VC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut GC
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias WiiWare
Dead or Alive 3 XBox
Ys: The Vanished Omens SMS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife DS
Art Style: Rotohex WiiWare
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare
Lords of Thunder VC
Punch-Out!! Wii
Ufouria: The Saga VC
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 3DS VC
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS VC
Xenoblade Chronicles Wii
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces Wii
Wario Land 4 3DS VC
Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS
Kirby's Adventure Wii Wii
Battalion Wars 2 Wii
Game Boy Camera Game Boy
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Wii
Red Steel 2 Wii *NEW*
Final Fantasy IV Advance GBA *NEW*
Kirby: Mouse Attack DS *NEW*
Command and Conquer PS1 *NEW*
Total: 49

Red Steel 2 was a fun enough game for wii. The graphics, sound and atmosphere of the game were stylish and appealing, and the gameplay was fun and functional, albeit repetitive. The upgrades you unlock for your sword and gun as you play add a nice incentive to keep going, but the mission structure is very simple, basically boiling down to 'walk here, fight some guys, repeat', although I guess thats symptomatic of FPS as a genre. The camera controls decently, and the swordplay works well, but having both mapped to the remote movement could cause a few problems on rare occassions. Overall, it's a fun enough game that doesn't overstay it's welcome, and which is worth a try if you can find it cheap like I did (£3!).

Final Fantasy IV was enjoyable, but I'll happily go out to say that it's one of my least favourite of the Final Fantasys that I have played. To me, it feels like a transition stage between the epic story driven adventures of the latter of the series and the more simplistic approach of the earlier games. The story is fun to follow, but I don't really get taken into it much, perhaps because of the lacking memory space in which to develop the narrative. It feels too much like a revolving door of characters to me - I lost some characters before I even had a chance to come to like them (Edward, anyone?). The other problem I had was the overload of mages in the early game - for the first few hours you basically sit around waiting for Cecil's turn, because he's the only reliable attacker. There's nothing wrong with the mages, but early on they have so little MP you find you rarely fire off many spells. The other thing that bothered me about it is the lack of customisation of your characters. I know not everyone cares about it, but the reason I like the likes of FF3 and FF5 more than 4 is because of it's job system, and the freedom to set up your party the way you want. Even later games with forced parties like FF9 had some customisation options I enjoyed. Overall, I LIKED FF4, but I think playing it after the fact, for me, has perhaps not let me see it in the glorious light that you guys who played it when it was new did.

Kirby: Mouse Attack (AKA Squeak Squad) was a great, fun little platformer which I beat over the course of 2 train journeys. Some might consider it short, but I think it was just the right kind of length for a kirby game. The treasure system provided some replay value, although I found myself instantly replaying levels to get treasure I missed, which I suppose can be considered a good thing! The power storage mechanic where you have 5 empty spaces to store treasure, healing items and powers worked nicely, although it did suck having to ditch some decent powers to make room for treasure chests sometimes. I liked how you get scrolls to give each ability a new attack too, it encouraged you to try all the powers more than once. The game moved at a nice pace, the levels were brisk but didn't feel too short and the game was easy, but I still died a few times. It was the perfect kind of game for travelling, and I heartily recommend it 8)

Command & Conquer was this month's Together Retro game, and my adventures in the game are chronicled further in that thread. I'll sum up some thoughts about it here though. I enjoyed the game a lot, and I found that it was quite good in letting you figure out how to beat levels. Some levels I beat through brute force, some by picking off targets from the outskirts of their base, and some by stealing their stuff. There were several missions where all of the above were valid options, but none were dead certs. There were a few annoying missions - one in particular where you have one commando to sneak into a base was a nightmare, thanks to the random enemies who come out of the buildings you're forced to destroy for the mission - sometimes you'd encounter 8 enemies just from blowing the buildings up before you go for the base, sometimes you wouldnt see any. Another frustration was spending hours building up a plan, only for it to fail drastically and cause you to have to restart, making you feel like you wasted so much time. This probably wouldn't have been quite as big a deal if I was on PC where you can speed the game up, but I played it on PS1 where no such option exists. Actually, several of the issues I had with the game were due to the port rather than the game. When lots of things were on screen, the PS1 port would lag something chronic, and would struggle to register when you try and select units or give them commands.Unfortunately, this tended to happen in crucial moments when you attacked the enemies base and the 2 armies would clash en masse. I mostly got around this by assigning my attack force to a group and using the special button combination to select them, which was more reliable, but not perfect. Another issue I had was that the game didn't indicate the price of any building or unit you bought, anhd didnt tell you what unit was selected when you highlighted them. So many times I lost an engineer in a crowd of infantry. Overall, this was a great game, but I would advise people to play it on PC. I chose PS1 out of nostalgia, and whilst it was playable, the issues did frustrate more than I would have liked.

Next time: Resident Evil 4, Grim Fandango, Monster World IV?
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1/12) PC
Mirror's Edge (1/18) PC
Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23) PC
Puzzle Agent 2 (2/2) PC
Dinner Date (2/15) PC
NyxQuest (2/19) PC
Dear Esther (2/20) PC
To The Moon (2/26) PC
Escape Goat (6/16) PC
Rayman Origins (6/17) PC
Robot Pinball Escape (6/18) PC

This is a free game over at Desura. Very short, but a fun concept. I wrote more about it here.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:08 pm

1. Sonic CD (PSN)
2. Golden Axe Warrior (PS3)
3. Ico (PS3)
4. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
5. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
6. SoulBlade (PS1)
7. SoulCalibur II (PS2)
8. The Simpsons Arcade Game (PS3)
9. Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3)
10. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (PS3)
11. Ys I (PSP)
12. Heavy Rain (PS3)
13. Street Fighter x Tekken (PS3)
14. King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
15. Knights of the Round (PS2)
16. Journey (PSN)
17. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3)
18. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1)
19. Skullgirls (PSN)
20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
21. Abobo's Big Adventure (PC)
22. Adventure (PC)
23. Wolfenstein 3D (PSN)
24. Pac-Man Championship Edition (360)
25. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (360)

viewtopic.php?p=630027#p630027
Return to General Gaming