Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by DinnerX Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I never posted in either Games Beaten threads, but I couldn't think of a better thread to post my success in...

The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain - PC

I had this game when I was about 10 but I never beat it. I remember never aiming to beat it though. I would just play the puzzles I liked, even if they were already 100% completed. :lol: I haven't played this game in years, so I decided I should actually beat it now. And I did. What a great feeling. :D

I feel like this game isn't too widely known or liked. Any one else ever play this one?
Dr. Brain, now there's a character I haven't thought of for a while. Never played that one, but I do remember The Time Warp of Dr. Brain. It was fun. I remember enjoying the Primordial Soup game.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:43 pm

retrosportsgamer wrote:I gotcha now. Awesome stuff. I prefer the original 16-bit game to the EA Replay on PSP.

Six turnovers and three punts returned for TD's skews the math a tad.

I wasn't aware of the Replay on the PSP.

It's a shame the Mutant League Series hasn't made a comeback. Dollars to Donuts a bean counter "just doesn't think it would contribute to the bottom line" but I think it would match Madden sales near the 50% mark. Use the same Madden engine, tweak the skins and add a few minor details such as nasty plays and you have yourself the beginnings of a classic.

I would even be happy if the game included zombie cheerleaders.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm

DinnerX wrote:Dr. Brain, now there's a character I haven't thought of for a while. Never played that one, but I do remember The Time Warp of Dr. Brain. It was fun. I remember enjoying the Primordial Soup game.

I highly recommend giving The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain a try. I recently tried the other three games (in the original 4 game series) and Lost Mind just seems like it's the best. I don't know how much nostalgia effects my opinion though. But the puzzles in Lost Mind are definitely fun.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:20 pm

"SPECIAL THANKS
TO TEAM
SINOBI".
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:28 am

This week, I beat Arkham Asylum and X-Men Origins Wolverine both on PC.
Damm64
Next-Gen

by Damm64 Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 am

1-Kenka Badass Bancho PSP (PSP)
2-Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
3-God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PSP)
4-Castlevania Symphony of the night (PSX played on psp)
5-Castlevania (NES)
6-Dead Head Fred (PSP)
7-Star Fox 64 (N64) (2nd ending)
8-Demons Crest
9-Castlevania Rondo of Blood (PSP port)
10-Kingdom Hearts Birth By sleep FInal Mix (No secret ending)
11-Kingdom hearts 2 (again no secret ending)
12-Metal Slug XX (PSP)
13-Odins Sphere (PS2)
14-Three Wonders (emulated)
15-Y's Chronicles - Y's 1
Last edited by Damm64 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 am

snatcher - sega cd
keio flying squadron - sega cd
lords of thunder -sega cd

first games i have beaten in a while. i had the urge to play some keio after seeing how much people are willing to pay for this lately. i have beaten this before but was a bit rusty initially and it took me more than several tries to successfully get through it. there is just something about this game that i really dig. maybe the fact it is a shmup that doesn't star a spaceship. maybe the cute/odd enemies you fight. maybe the fact i only paid 75 for my copy and now people are dishing out hundreds. whatever it is, i like it.

after conquering keio i still had a shmup urge and popped in some lords of thunder. not as awesome as i remembered it to be. still good, though. the game is just too damn easy. on default settings i beat the game first play through. died once. and it has been well over a year, maybe even 2, since i have beaten this. the boss fights have very easy patterns to figure out. and if by some chance you can't figure out the pattern you can take about 1000 hits before you die.
if you took a shit, please put it back
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

by SwooshBear Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Uncharted (Ps3)
Soul Caliber (Dc)
Atom Zombie Smasher (Pc)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Snes)
Limbo (Pc)

Total 6

Not sure if I already posted about LTTP, but it is fantastic. Easily the best Zelda game I've ever played, yet that isn't saying much. The 2D Zelda titles have always appealed to me more than their 3D counterparts. LTTP is everything I could have asked in a Zelda plus more. As for Limbo, its a nice, dark little puzzle-platformer that I was able to beat at a leisurely pace. I got it as part of the Humble Indie Bundle V so I hope to beat some of the other titles I got with it.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:03 am

Yesterday, I beat Panzer Dragoon (SAT) and Pajama Sam 2 (iPad). I think it's about time I actually sat down and beat Panzer Dragoon Saga now.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3
8 out of 10

So I finished it, it was pretty good. Like Xenoblade, FF XIII-2 is a bit forward thinking. Both games let you save at anytime. FF XIII-2 lets you reset most areas in the game after you finish them too. So, it's sort like a new game plus in a way. It lets you play through the game without worrying about missing anything. Although, due to a bug, there is still one annoying missable in the game. Not a traditional NG+ like Xenoblade, but similar. It's arguably better. Once you beat the game, you'll be able to do stuff in some areas that you couldn't do on your first play through, like take down more powerful enemies and even unlock different story scenarios. From what I have heard, nothing changes in NG+ in Xenoblade, other than you getting a new weapon

The combat system is as great as it was in FF XIII. Still the best JRPG combat system out there IMO. They made a few little tweaks to polish it up, not that it needed it really. I've heard some reviews say the combat is too easy this time around. Most of the game's challenge will be in the post game stuff. That's no different from other ff games I've played, where the most challenging stuff pops up when you're close to finishing the game. Heck, even the final boss gave me trouble. Plus, trying to get five star ranks whenever possible makes every fight in the game more interesting. You're not really getting the most out of the combat system if you're ignoring your ranks. When you're in a new area, it's fun gradually learning the strengths and weaknesses of your foes and developing strategies to take them down as quickly and efficiently as possible to nail a five star rank. Combat doesn't seem too easy when you play the game this way. Sometimes people, you just have to challenge yourself or you've no one else to blame if things seem too easy.

The graphics are phenomenal. The soundtrack is decent, not fantastic but good enough. So basically, everything that was good in FF XIII is still good here. They fixed the biggest complaint from FF XIII. The game is non linear now, and you're not stuck in tutorial mode forever. You get a lot of freedom right off the bat.

They even threw in a monster catching system, which seems to be all the rage in Japan. I don't like it personally. You basically sacrifice having a third human party member so you can put a monster in your party instead. I like PEOPLE in my parties. Maybe that's just my western view. Still, it will appeal to some people and adds a new twist to combat as monsters functions a bit differently and must be levelled up differently. Fortunately, the DLC lets you add people in your third party spot. These aren't people that are integral to the story however. It's just an option

It's weird having DLC in a FF game. I don't mind it, as I think the game works well enough without the DLC. It really seems like add ons rather than stuff that should have been in the game in the first place. That said, the DLC is pretty cool. One of them even has a unique pair of boss fights, but it all seems non essential to the game. After seeing the DLC in this game and Valkyrie Chronicles, I feel like Japanese developers have got a much better handle on this DLC stuff that other companies. Well, not counting the d bags at Capcom. Some people might say SquareEnix is knickle and diming people with the various monster outfits and weapons that are DLC. It's a fair point, but the game already has tons of weapons and monster outfits built in, and I didn't find any of the DLC weapons to be all that great anyway. I've heard some players say that the strongest weapons are already in the game, no DLC required.

FF XIII 2's only weakness is it's ridiculously convoluted story. If there was a class on screwing up time travel stories 101, FF XIII-2 would be the first chapter. It seems to draw on every time travel cliche in existence, throws them all together, then adds a weird new twist by declaring that changing the future alters the past. Though apparently changing the past also changes the future. Weird. That said, the protaganists are not nearly as obnoxious as some other jrpg games and I actually love the ending. However, I need to clarify that. This isn't really a spoiler, but the last thing you will see after you beat the game is....to be continued. Yes, they actually set things up for a sequel or a DLC or something or other. There are definite similarities between this game's ending and Mass Effect 3's ending. I won't say much more than that. I have probably already given too much away in just saying that. However, I would have really liked FF XIII-2's ending as a FINAL ending, without the to be continued part added on. If you want to know a bit more, read the spoilers

Basically, the ending is all schmaltzy with everybody happy and sappy pop music playing. However, a last minute twist turns everything on its head, ending the story in the darkest way possible, then saying, "to be continued." Personally, I love this dark ending. Somehow it just fits with the time travel motif. In messing around with time so much, the characters have actually damned themself to the worst possible outcome. FF games don't usually end on such a dark note. I don't know why, but I just like it. If feels like a Twilight Zone ending, ending the game with an unexpected, dark twist.

If I scored FF XIII-2 on just playing through its main story, I'd probably give it a 7. However, a lot of cool post game content opens up after you beat the game. When you factor in all that content, the awesome combat system, awesome graphics, decent soundtrack, and some decent DLC, I think it's worthy of an 8 out of 10. The game suffers from a convoluted story and some of the usual JRPG quirks like overly long, tedious dungeons that have you doing the same damn thing over and over. Plus, an over abundance of combat in some areas, which gets really annoying when you just want to get through the damn area and progress the story. The combat is among the best in the genre though and new game plus modes and save anywhere features should be the norm in jrpgs, so I like FF XIII-2 for pushing certain aspects of the genre forward. Though Xenoblade seems to be the only game getting any credit for doing that it seems.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to General Gaming