128-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Balasubbie Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Games Finished 2012:

1. SMA3: Yoshi's Island (GBA)
2. Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)
3. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
4. Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA)
5. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (PS3)
6. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS3)
7. Rayman Origins (PS3)
8. SMA4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA)
9. Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter (Arcade)
10. X-Men vs Street Fighter (Arcade)
11. Little Big Planet 2 (PS3)

12. Pokemon Colosseum (GCN)
I'd been meaning to check this out since release, but never found it cheaply in the wild, as online prices tended to take the proverbial. It's close to what one could've asked from
a proper 3D Pokemon RPG, but it's missing that quintessential 'dive-in and play' of its handheld siblings. What with battles restricted to two-on-two, and their prolonged nature
once you started getting up the higher-end of leveling, it gets a bit at times that you're expected to have mastered the series somewhat to enjoy the game fully. It contains the balances and quirks of the portables, so that's a boon. Props on the attempt at a story, but it's a slightly surreal (well, given the context) departure from the mutated suburbia of the originals, to this steampunkish wild-west vibe. The character design gets quite interesting in places too, again another departure from the understated, reserved pang from the days of RBY/GSC.

13. Waku Waku 7 (PS2)
Been trawling for this one for a while, having been a fan of the MVS version. fine little niche title. Best comparison I've heard of it is that it's to versus fighters what Disgaea
is to RPGs, that's to say: it's a little mickey-taking.

14. Super Gem Fighters: Mini Mix (PS2)
I love Puzzle Fighter, so this one was a pretty obvious must. It's a lighthearted title with nifty, comedic twists on the mechanics of its parents, SF and PF. Collecting gems for power-ups, and suddenly the input for a hadoken pulls out a hammer or a kicking-donkey (or somesuch).

15: Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
I'd read a lot of the bile for this going in, so my expectations were somewhat modest, and they were well succeeded. Once I'd gotten to grips with the Tekken-y elements, it plays smoother than silk. There'd be kudos for the online, which is lag-free mostly, but the much-derided gem system rears its ugly mush a few too many times.

16. King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
This's existence is a bit unfair, considering we, the fighting-game masses/Capcom's much-abused, have been conditioned to expect so little outside of arcade/versus/online this gen; no story, little extras et al. Then boomshackalacka, up pops KoFXIII with a stocked cast-list, and an engine that drips of so much quality and accessiblilty that seems to almost be apologizing for the tresspasses of XII. Then, it throws in a pretty fleshed-out story mode, just to show-off. I've heard much about the online, but it's been decent for me so far. Stellar showing from a series that was considered to be on the ropes this generation.

17. King of Fighters EX: NeoBlood (GBA)
The standard of GBA fighters was pretty high with Super Street Fighter 2 X: Turbo Revival. This, sadly, doesn't give it a run for the title. It's okay, really. It seems to
be a compromise of a home-console version, whereas SSFIIX:TR was optimized and
built from the ground-up for the GBA, playing to the handheld's strengths while giving
a fine echo of its arcade-forefather. This, on the otherhand, can play a little clunky,
where inputs get mixed inadvertently, and you've often to resort to sweeps and jabs
to buy enough time to do what you meant to in the first place.

18. King of Fighters: Neowave (PS2)
I was running out of new KoF to play, so I took a chance on this, in spite on knowing its reputation as being essentially a demo for what SNK could on an Atomiswave board, and
being a somewhat sparse dream-match entry into the series. It's good, but bare, and
harkens back to/emulates the styles of 2002 a little too much, almost derivatively. Young
Geese makes for one of the less-unfair SNK bosses I've encountered, which is cool, as there's always that moment in a KoF title where you dread and relish the boss-reveal, in the knowledge it's going to take a while.

Distorted text: The folly of run-on sentences.
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:34 am

i love pocket fighter. it was actually the game that got me into street fighter games and fighters in general. i'm still hoping that one day they put out a sequel.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 pm

1. Sonic CD (PSN)
2. Golden Axe Warrior (PS3)
3. Ico (PS3)
4. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
5. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
6. SoulBlade (PS1)
7. SoulCalibur II (PS2)
8. The Simpsons Arcade Game (PS3)
9. Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3)
10. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (PS3)
11. Ys I (PSP)
12. Heavy Rain (PS3)
13. Street Fighter x Tekken (PS3)
14. King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
15. Knights of the Round (PS2)
16. Journey (PSN)
17. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3)
18. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1)
19. Skullgirls (PSN)
20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)

Y'know what? I always say 2 is probably my favorite. But I've been so wrong. It's 3. THPS3 is my favorite of the series by far. It's definitely the one I've played the most -- proof in the fact I just beat it in two sittings. It's also got an amazing soundtrack. Actually they released the soundtrack for this one, so I should try to find it. The levels are huge and amazing, there's tons of possibilities for insane combos, the graphics look fantastic. And even the create-a-skater thing is customizable enough that my wife cracked up seeing what looked quite a bit like me do some crazy shit in the game. Love this game.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:38 pm

noiseredux wrote:[THPS 3 has] also got an amazing soundtrack.

It's got Ace of Spades. So yeah I agree.
nagwack
8-bit

by nagwack Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am

1) Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
2) Cave Story 3D (3DS)
3) Golden Axe (PSN)
4) Costume Quest (PSN)
5) The Simpsons Arcade (PSN)
6) Monkey Island (PC)
7) Zak McKraken (PC)
8) Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
9) Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis (PC)

yeah... been playing some LucasArts adventures lately
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31 am

Breath of Fire - Game Boy Advance

First time playing the GBA port. Not a bad game, but it feels a bit simplistic at times. The whole game really feels like a series of fetch quests without any ultimate goal in mind.

That said, it can be fun to play. It's relatively fast-paced and there's minimal grinding. There's a few improvements over the original SNES version such as added cutscenes and a run button (thank thee gods). Supposedly the random battles are less frequent in this port but I wasn't able to tell.

If you love 16-bit era JRPGs and have never played the original, give it a try. Just don't expect anything mind-blowing.

2012 games beaten:
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
Ys Book I & II (TCD)
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (SNES)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Lunar Legend (GBA)
Breath of Fire (GBA)

I think I'm gonna watch all my unwatched anime before I tackle another game. I have quite a "backlog" of that stuff.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Trip World 3DS VC
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Asterix SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
Picross DS DS
Half Minute Hero PSP
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
StarTropics VC
Faselei! NGPC
Ninja Commando VC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut GC
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias WiiWare
Dead or Alive 3 XBox
Ys: The Vanished Omens SMS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife DS
Art Style: Rotohex WiiWare
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare
Lords of Thunder VC
Punch-Out!! Wii
Ufouria: The Saga VC
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 3DS VC
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS VC
Xenoblade Chronicles Wii
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces Wii *NEW*
Wario Land 4 3DS VC *NEW*
Total: 40

Sky Crawlers was an enjoyable plane combat game for Wii. The motion controls worked great, I actually played the whole game with them despite the option for classic controller or gamecube controller support. Tilting the nunchuck controlled the movement of the plane, with the Wii remote the acceleration. The nunchuk control stick was used to do manouvres such as loops and barrel rolls - it was quite intuitive and easy to use. The mission structure was very simple, but the action was enjoyable and fast paced, and the selection of planes, weapons and parts made for some fun customisation. The graphics were nice, although nothing special, but I enjoyed the music quite a bit.
The story though was very hard to follow without any experience of the manga or anime on which the game was based, and after finishing I still had little idea of what was going on. It was an exciting, fast paced game though, and one which I really enjoyed.

Wario Land 4 on the other hand, I wasn't a fan of. I find the games slower pacing to be slightly boring and I don't enjoy having to look everywhere for stuff, which was compulsory in this entry due to needing all 4 crystal segments in each level to fight the worlds boss. I'm also not a fan of the style of the game, the ugliness of the bosses didn't really gel with me. I did like the 'flee from the level' mechanic at the end of every stage, I just wish I didn't have to go searching for stuff otherwise. That brings my wario land series to 2 I enjoyed (VirtualBoy, Shake Dimension) and 2 I really didn't (2, 4). Interesting that the more 'action' orientated warios I enjoyed more than the moreexploration and puzzle based entries. I reckon I'd not enjoy 3, but would enjoy 1.I'll give them a fair shake some time in the future.

Next up: Battalion Wars 2, Scribblenauts
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:26 pm

January
1- From Dust - PSN
2- Resident Evil Director's Cut - PS1
3- Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace - PS1

February

4- Deadly Premonition - Xbox 360
5- RefRain ~prism memories~ - PC

March

6- The Bouncer - PS2
7- Last Window: The Secret of Cape West - DS
8- Dead Space - PS3

April

9- Puyo Pop - N-Gage

10- Lone Survivor - PC

Meh. A mediocre attempt to make a memorable horror title. The action is just okay and the story is abysmal. I don't recommend it unless you're a die-hard horror fan.

11- ActRaiser - SNES

Side-scrolling action and a city building sim mixed into one cartridge. Pure awesome.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 am

All Games:
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered - iOS
Tiki Towers 2 - iOS
inFAMOUS - PS3
The Blackwell Legacy - PC
Blackwell Unbound - PC
The Blackwell Convergence - PC
Blackwell Deception - PC
The Secret of Grisly Manor - iOS
Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC
Skate 3 - 360
Gears of War 3 - 360
The Darkness II - PC
Fallout: New Vegas - PC
DLC Quest - PC
Shank - PC
Gears of War 2: Road to Ruin DLC - 360
Batman: Arkham City - 360
Batman: Arkham City: Catwoman Bundle Pack DLC - 360
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - PSP
Super Street Fighter IV 3D - 3DS
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PC
Hard Reset - PC

Total for 2012: 22

Super Street Fighter IV 3D - 3DS
Really solid port of SSFIV, the 3D is fairly useless as you would imagine but the slide pad works perfectly for fighters.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PC
Wow, this was really boring, not only that it looked really ugly, even on its highest settings at 1080P. The MW games (both single player and online) went downhill more and more with each installment.

Hard Reset - PC
This game is awesome. It is pretty much Serious Sam but with a Cyberpunk overhaul, not only that it looks really good for a indie game! It might need a bit of a power to run it, but if you can, it is old school perfection!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Shenmue II -- Dreamcast (January 9)
Golden Axe Warrior -- Sega Master System (January 19)
Ys I -- Turbo CD (March 22)
*NEW*Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 -- Dreamcast (April 30)

A huge accomplishment for not having played a single game in the THPS series before. All gold medals too!
Last edited by ExedExes on Thu May 31, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to General Gaming