Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
NihonRobot
24-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by NihonRobot Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Oh, and for those who have played it - wouldn't you love to see a PSN/XBLA game that was an extended version of the 2D shmup-esque stages? Those were awesome :)

Check out Black Knight Sword, it's exactly that (well, a little less shmuppy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQrZd37 ... age#t=166s
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 pm

NihonRobot wrote:
Oh, and for those who have played it - wouldn't you love to see a PSN/XBLA game that was an extended version of the 2D shmup-esque stages? Those were awesome :)

Awesome, looks good - thanks! Is there a release date?
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 pm

rating scale: two thumbs up = highly recommended, one thumb up = good not great, thumbs down = avoid

- virtua fighter remix (sat) -- thumbs down
- nintendogs + cats (3DS) -- one thumb up
- just dance 2 (wii) -- one thumb up
- professor layton and the curious village (DS) -- one thumb up
- photo dojo (DSiware) -- one thumb up
- rhythm heaven fever (wii) -- one thumb up
- nyxquest (PC) -- one thumb up
- metroid prime 3: corruption (wii) -- one thumb up
- metroid prime pinball (DS) -- one thumb up
- NEW brain age express: math (DSiW) -- one thumb up
- NEW sin and punishment (N64) -- one thumb up
- NEW trace memory (DS) -- one thumb up

brain age express: math: surprisingly enjoyable, and it's completely wrong to assume that it's just a rehash of the first two titles. there are three new exercises and one includes an "adventure" mode that's quite fun. more than that, there's a 10-level challenge mode that will have perfectionists tearing their hair out. comes so close to replacing the original in my affections, but doesn't quite top it. i ended up writing my first game FAQ ever to detail the challenge mode (you can find it on gamefaqs).

sin and punishment : enjoyable, and def. a fantastic N64 game. completely nonsensical and obtuse story, but the gameplay is pretty solid although normal mode is pretty tough. the second half is less interesting than the first, but def. looking forward to playing the sequel.

trace memory: liked hotel dusk, and although it's quite similar this one's not nearly as memorable in terms of characters, story, graphics, or music. a diverting enough experience overall, but not particularly memorable.
NihonRobot
24-bit

by NihonRobot Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 pm

dsheinem wrote:
NihonRobot wrote:

Awesome, looks good - thanks! Is there a release date?

It used to be February, but then disappeared. I think people are saying "end of summer" now.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Games beaten so far:
1. Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare 8/10
2. Sonic Generations - PS3 9/10
3. Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS 7/10
4. Starship Defense (All no SOS perfects) - DSiWare 5/10
5. Soul of Darkness - DSiWare 8/10
6. Mutant Mudds (All crystals and water sprouts) - 3DS Eshop 5/10
7. The Simpsons Arcade (US Version) - PS3 8/10
8. DodoGo! - DSiWare - 9.5/10
9. Mass Effect 2 - 360 (Insanity mode difficulty with Sentinel class)

Mass Effect 3 - 360 (Insanity mode with Adept) - 7/10 *new*

So I finished Mass Effect 3 and most of my thoughts have been expressed in other threads, particularly the dedicated Mass Effect 3 thread, but I guess I'll just sum it all up here just for the heck of it. I have to say it has a really well put together story. The writing is of a higher caliber in terms of dialog and character interaction than previous entries. Everything about the story is great except three things. The obvious one is the ending, which everyone has complained about, and yes, it sucks. Secondly, there's a lameass new villain who seems like a guy who got rejected for the next Final Fantasy game so he got himself a job in Mass Effect 3. Thirdly, ME 3 continues the work started in ME 2 of completely ruining the characters of Kaidan Alenko and Ashley Williams. Overall, I am disappointed with the story. 90% of it is great sure and totally worth experiencing if you've played the first two games, but endings are everything, especially for a story that has spanned three games and Bioware completely f**ed it up.

As for the gameplay, everyone will have a different take on it. Some people think it's a step above previous entries. I always enjoyed combat in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, but I can't stress enough how much I loathe and despise the combat in Mass Effect 3. First of all, the cover system just seems weird now, with Shepherd often moving into positions you don't want him to be in. Combat is also buggy (like most of the game). It's also the cheapest entry in the trilogy by a pretty wide margin with enemies constantly spamming grenades and smoke bombs. Cerberus troops are the worst offenders, which brings me to another complaint.

Each Mass Effect game has a certain enemy type that are considered the main enemies of the game. It was the Geth in the first game and the Collectors in the second one. However, I have never fought as many Geth and Collectors in the previous games as I did Cerberus troops in Mass Effect 3. About 80% of the game's combat consists of fighting these guys. Worst part is, aside from how annoying they are, is that they are just generic human mercs that would easily fit right in with any shooter on the market. For a big Sci Fi franchise like this full of all kinds of aliens and robots to have you fighting generic human thugs for the majority of the game really feels like a waste. It makes Mass Effect 3 feel like just another shooter. The few times you go up against different enemy types, like the absolutely awesome banshees or the really cool brutes are the most fun fights in the game.

I won't comment too much on the multi-player mode, since I didn't play it. I'll just say that it makes me think of two words with regards to Bioware. Sell outs. Apparently every game on the market that involves shooting things must have a multi-player mode in the form of death matchs, capture the flag, or some kind of horde mode and Mass Effect had to just fall right in line rather than do its own thing and wear its single player badge proudly. I know some people love the multi-player and I'm glad it makes them happy, but I just hate this kind of conformity where single player franchises like Mass Effect and Resident Evil can't just stay that way because they just have to cater to the whiners who bitch about any game on the market today not having multi-player.

Also, as I touched on earlier, the game is full of bugs and glitches, more so than any other Bioware game I've played. I honestly lost count of how many I encountered. Some are truly bizarre like characters looking away from each other during conversations, and others affect gameplay like disappearing prompts making it impossible to complete side missions, and some just reak of sloppiness like your squad mates getting permanently glued to a ladder.

And then there is the disc switching, which isn't like other games where you get halfway through the story and then switch to the next disc. Mass Effect 3 has you constantly switching discs as you go from mission to mission. It's simply inexcusable for a finished retail product to make you do that. If ME 3 was too big for the 360, maybe they should have scaled it down or just not released it at all on the 360. There's no excuse for this crap.

So when all is said and done, I'm glad I played it because I enjoyed the majority of the story, but the ending is crap along with all the other problems I've pointed out. Is it a must play for fans of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2? Of course it is, you'll want to see how everything plays out bad ending or not and there are enough memorable moments that I definitely consider it a must play for fans. However, I consider this the weakest entry in the trilogy overall. Hence the 7 out of 10 score.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:35 pm

wow. A 7/10 even after all those complaints?

So weird that I encountered only maybe one bug (which was trivial), had zero problems with combat, and only had to switch discs after the first 1/4 and before the last 1/4. This was the same az ME2.

It is like we played two completely games.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Beat Assassin's Creed ... 1. I've had it for several years, but only recently had a dual core machine so it'd run smoothly.

Overall I liked it ... but I just don't understand why any modern day stuff was in it at all. It was very distracting and didn't add anything.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Trip World 3DS VC
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Asterix SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
Picross DS DS
Half Minute Hero PSP
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
StarTropics VC
Faselei! NGPC
Ninja Commando VC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut GC
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias WiiWare
Dead or Alive 3 XBox
Ys: The Vanished Omens SMS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife DS
Art Style: Rotohex WiiWare
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare
Lords of Thunder VC
Punch-Out!! Wii
Ufouria: The Saga VC
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 3DS VC
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS VC *NEW*
Xenoblade Chronicles Wii *NEW*
Total: 38

Feels like it's been ages since I posted, but Xenoblade sure ate up a lot of my gaming time before it was beaten.

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror was a fun enough little kirby game, with an interesting spin on the kirby format - it's like a kind of mini-metroidvania (I hate that term, but it'll suffice). There are a few flaws with the game that stopped it being quite as fun as a typical kirby game though - the map for the game was hard to navigate and had problems with one-way paths and 'goals', which, whilst giving you a chance to earn extra lives, sent you back to the starting location everytime you went to them, which was easily done, and often by accident. The idea of using Kirby's powers to get to new locations was nice, but it was all to easy to lose a crucial power just before you needed it. It would've worked better with a Milky Way Wishes style of gameplay (from Kirby Superstar), where you could select your power once it was unlocked. This would've made it pretty much like a standard metroid-style game though. The phoning other kirbys for help was pretty rubbish too, although it would've been a very fun feature in multiplayer, as it was designed for. Unfortunately though, the VC release doesn't include link functionality. As much as I sound like I'm hating on the game though, it did keep me comign back for one more go, and it was worth a play overall. Flawed but fun.

As for Xenoblade, I feel like I could write an essay on things I liked and didn'tlike about the game, but overall, it was a fantastic game which I loved. There were some flaws, but many were centred around my own problems - for example, I did eventually get sick of the ludicrous amount of sidequests, but they were optional. On the other hand, you miss out on a lot of cool stuff if you dont do them, so I felt compelled to put in the hours. The sidequests could have used some more variety too, they were generally all either ' kill this mini boss', 'kill all these enemies', 'kill enough enemies to find this stuff', or just straight up 'find this stuff'. The experience points and gem rewards for the quests were nice though, and I loved how exploring and finding new landmarks and collectables gave you good rewards too, meaning grinding didnt boil down to endless fights. The speed of the battle system was also nice, although some way to control your team-mates tactics a la FFXII's gambit system would have been appreciated, as the AI could be really damn thick sometimes. The story took some time to get started, but a lot of that was down to the amount of sidequests I did I'm sure. The voice acting was good, the environments were pretty and the music was amazing. I don't believe this is the 'new JRPG' at all though - it was a great JRPG, a fantastic game, but nothing especially new - and I didn't find anything wrong with that evidently, as it kept me interested for 130+ hours.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:21 pm

- Fallout 3 (PC)
- Thief Gold (PC)
- Mass Effect 3 (360)
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

Excellent stuff. This, Xenoblade, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy (waiting to get to this one) all made the Wii (second one) purchase worth it for me.

Pretty much copying what I said in another thread though, I'd say Skyward Sword ranks evenly with Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, for the 3D ones. Or maybe just a bit below them... it is by far the longest Zelda game, but by the end of it I was feeling a little "tired". The game got pretty repetitive with the backtracking, as there's only about three main area's. More variety would have been nice. The flying was not that great either, I liked that it was faster than sailing in Wind Waker, but I think more work on the sky part of the game would've been nice. Having some much bigger islands up in the air or just more things to do. It was kind of empty, and this design choice also prevents the game from having a real overworld, which is kind of one of my complaints.

The final stretch of the game did leave a bit to be desired though, the ending was fantastic, but the final dungeon was kind of whatever and just something about the buildup felt a little rushed to me? Who knows.

That said... I also loved so much about this game. The visual style was really awesome, completely loved it. It was both cartoony and mature looking enough, that it was just very colorful and alive. Loved all the characters and this is probably one of the best Zelda's in the series to me, she was great. Tons of dungeons which is always a plus for me in these games, most of them were great. Also goes without saying, one of the best damn OST's I've heard in awhile. Totally amazing stuff.

Overall, amazing stuff. But OoT is still the 3D Zelda king for me.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 am

dsheinem wrote:wow. A 7/10 even after all those complaints?

So weird that I encountered only maybe one bug (which was trivial), had zero problems with combat, and only had to switch discs after the first 1/4 and before the last 1/4. This was the same az ME2.

It is like we played two completely games.

True, and your experience is every bit as valid as mine. That's more of a personal score. Given the thoughts of others that I have heard including yours, it's probably more along the lines of an 8 out of 10 game or even higher, but I just didn't like the combat as much as some people and certain things like the frequent disc switching really left a bad taste in my mouth. That 7 just represents my personal feelings towards the game when all is said and done. If I tried to look at it more objectively maybe I'd score it higher, but it's not everything I personally was hoping for.

Despite all appearances to the contrary, I'm not condemning the game. I gave it a 7 despite all the complaints because the majority of the story was very strong. As I said, it's still a must play for fans no matter how many complaints I have, primarily for the writing. This was a huge commitment for the fans. Three long games of interconnected storytelling. If not for that crappy ending, I think the story mostly delivered. I just don't get how they fumbled so badly in the end though :?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to General Gaming