Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:18 pm
Location: In my own little world...

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by elmagicochrisg Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

You didn't know!?... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image
Image

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23119
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by dsheinem Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn *new*
Golden Axe - Genesis *new*

TOTAL: 4


2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

After beating Golden Axe Warrior, I wanted to play some other games in the series. I tried Ax Battler (SMS) the other day for a very short while, and did not like it at all. I'll be passing on that one. Today I tried Golden Axe: The Duel and got sucked in. Make no bones about it: the game is quite tough, but it looks and plays like a dream - almost as good as some of the best titles from SNK and Capcom on the Saturn, which is really saying something. The game's fighting system offers some nice complexity, the sprites are nice and large, and the animation is fluid and quick. I highly recommend people hunt down a copy, as it is certainly worth a play.

At times I am convinced that Golden Axe is my favorite Genesis game, and it is probably the first-party Genesis game I have sunk more time into on the system than any other over the years. Death Bringer is still an unreasonably hard boss given the sheer ease that almost everything else can be beaten, and I actually had to play a second game to get to the credits as he took me out on the first go (I must be rusty!). Afterwards I played Golden Axe II for a bit, and made it to level 5 or so...and died. Rusty on that one too. If the mood strikes me, I may go back and play.
Flake
Moderator
 
Posts: 7995
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Flake Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm

1/2 Cannon Spike (DC)
1/9 Mega Man X4 (GCN)

Mega Man X4 is my hands-down favorite game of all time. This time around I actually challenged myself and did a mostly-minimalist run, something I have not yet done in the 12 years I have owned this game. I was surprised to learn a few things about this game that I had never noticed before. There were a lot of exploits and tricks I had always blown by when fully equipped.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
User avatar
SpaceBooger
Moderator
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 am
Location: The AK-Rowdy

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by SpaceBooger Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 am

noiseredux wrote:1. Sonic CD (PSN)

Did you go back and destroy all the generators and Metal Sonics?
I am playing through this one too and have that as my goal since I suck at the special stages (I have yet to get one time crystal).

As for my games beaten 2012
1/9 Golden Axe Warrior - SMS

I hated the controls. The game was challenging and I had to play a couple dungeons hours upon hours - D6, D7, and D10. When I think of this game I think about all the stuff that I didn't like and then realize that I put more time into this game per sitting than any other game in a while. I found myself getting sucked in for hours at a time almost every day for the last week. There was something fun about reading maps, taking notes (I did the same as noise) coming up with a perfect game plan only to find out that I had no life and the route I wanted to travel was only accessible by killing every enemy in that room. The planing, disillusionment, excitement, discovery and adventure that this game instilled in me while playing made it all worth it and I am happy that I put the time in and played this through to the end.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Gamerforlife Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:37 am

Flake wrote:1/2 Cannon Spike (DC)
1/9 Mega Man X4 (GCN)

Mega Man X4 is my hands-down favorite game of all time. This time around I actually challenged myself and did a mostly-minimalist run, something I have not yet done in the 12 years I have owned this game. I was surprised to learn a few things about this game that I had never noticed before. There were a lot of exploits and tricks I had always blown by when fully equipped.


One of my all time faves too, I think the game is actually way more fun with a minimalist run. It becomes a whole different game
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by YoshiEgg25 Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 am

1/6: Puzzle Agent 2 PC *NEW*

Total: 1


More of the same from Puzzle Agent 2, which is far from a bad thing. Great dialogue, a very interesting art style, and mind-bending puzzles return from the first game. But my one qualm with the original Puzzle Agent remains: it's just too short, taking me less than two hours to complete. If you're looking for a PC puzzle game though, grab both titles; you will not regret it.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by noiseredux Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am

SpaceBooger wrote:
noiseredux wrote:1. Sonic CD (PSN)

Did you go back and destroy all the generators and Metal Sonics?
I am playing through this one too and have that as my goal since I suck at the special stages (I have yet to get one time crystal).


no I didn't. I've never been a completionist gamer. And really this play-through was more about just beating the game. See, I had it on SCD when it first came out, and loved it. But I had never beat it back then. Odd since it seemed ridiculously easy to me now -- much easier than Sonic 2, which I had beaten back then.

1/9 Golden Axe Warrior - SMS

I hated the controls. The game was challenging and I had to play a couple dungeons hours upon hours - D6, D7, and D10. When I think of this game I think about all the stuff that I didn't like and then realize that I put more time into this game per sitting than any other game in a while. I found myself getting sucked in for hours at a time almost every day for the last week. There was something fun about reading maps, taking notes (I did the same as noise) coming up with a perfect game plan only to find out that I had no life and the route I wanted to travel was only accessible by killing every enemy in that room. The planing, disillusionment, excitement, discovery and adventure that this game instilled in me while playing made it all worth it and I am happy that I put the time in and played this through to the end.


you summed it up perfectly. It's this totally flawed game -- but there's just something about it that makes you WANT to keep playing and see yourself conquering that final dungeon. Though far from perfect, I can't help but sort of really like the game for that suck-you-in quality.
Image
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23119
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by dsheinem Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am

noiseredux wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:
noiseredux wrote:1. Sonic CD (PSN)

Did you go back and destroy all the generators and Metal Sonics?
I am playing through this one too and have that as my goal since I suck at the special stages (I have yet to get one time crystal).


no I didn't. I've never been a completionist gamer. And really this play-through was more about just beating the game. See, I had it on SCD when it first came out, and loved it. But I had never beat it back then. Odd since it seemed ridiculously easy to me now -- much easier than Sonic 2, which I had beaten back then.

1/9 Golden Axe Warrior - SMS

I hated the controls. The game was challenging and I had to play a couple dungeons hours upon hours - D6, D7, and D10. When I think of this game I think about all the stuff that I didn't like and then realize that I put more time into this game per sitting than any other game in a while. I found myself getting sucked in for hours at a time almost every day for the last week. There was something fun about reading maps, taking notes (I did the same as noise) coming up with a perfect game plan only to find out that I had no life and the route I wanted to travel was only accessible by killing every enemy in that room. The planing, disillusionment, excitement, discovery and adventure that this game instilled in me while playing made it all worth it and I am happy that I put the time in and played this through to the end.


you summed it up perfectly. It's this totally flawed game -- but there's just something about it that makes you WANT to keep playing and see yourself conquering that final dungeon. Though far from perfect, I can't help but sort of really like the game for that suck-you-in quality.


I don't know...had it not been for the fact a bunch of us were playing, I'd probably not have felt motivated to continue based on the game itself.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by noiseredux Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:57 am

dsheinem wrote:I don't know...had it not been for the fact a bunch of us were playing, I'd probably not have felt motivated to continue based on the game itself.


but you also said you're not a fan of "Zelda style" games. So there's that.
Image
User avatar
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2183
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by AmishSamurai Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:18 am

1/12- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I had actually gotten just about to the endgame several months ago, but some game fatigue set in, and I really didn't want to do another planet. I had fun while playing, but found most of the characters were pretty bland, and the endgame and tutorial are both pretty dry. Everything else in-between? A blast.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.


I'm a girl btw
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests