Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Stark Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:39 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Stark wrote: but you can get it on Wii, DS and 3DS if you so choose, and I can't imagine it plays too differently there. 3/5.

it also received a really good homebrew PSP port as well.

Really, hmm that's awesome.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 pm

sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 pm

I hated Cave Story. The whole game felt poorly balanced, which would've been excusable only if I was playing the original freeware and not the paid rerelease.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 pm

sabrage wrote:I hated Cave Story. The whole game felt poorly balanced, which would've been excusable only if I was playing the original freeware and not the paid rerelease.

You mean they needed to work on the weapon sets more? What do you mean by balancing?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Stark wrote:
sabrage wrote:I hated Cave Story. The whole game felt poorly balanced, which would've been excusable only if I was playing the original freeware and not the paid rerelease.

You mean they needed to work on the weapon sets more? What do you mean by balancing?

I mean the enemy spawns. Some of the bosses were fun, but that last one was grueling. The level design was frequently more annoying than fun in its challenge. And, personally, I hate that people compare it to Metroid, because it's a strictly linear game.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

by SwooshBear Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:16 pm

sabrage wrote: And, personally, I hate that people compare it to Metroid, because it's a strictly linear game.

One of the few reasons why I dislike Metroid, I prefer very linear 2D platformers over the puzzle like ones like Metroid. Cave Story looks good though.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Cave Story was something special when it first came out. Here was this one single guy from Japan that made a great little game that looked and played like a classic NES title, and he gave it away for free. It was something so personal. A solitary, nostalgic vision for a great game, given to the world as a gift. It was wonderful and actually helped spark a lot of interest in the indie scene.

As the game has gone on to see upgraded graphics and cross platform compatibility, it has lost a bit of its grassroots charm. It is still a great game and I think pixel more-than-deserves his success, but if you didn't experience the game in its original freeware form before it spread to the Wii and other systems, then I feel you're missing out on an important piece of the experience that simply can't be recreated.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:25 pm

J T wrote:Cave Story was something special when it first came out. Here was this one single guy from Japan that made a great little game that looked and played like a classic NES title, and he gave it away for free. It was something so personal. A solitary, nostalgic vision for a great game, given to the world as a gift. It was wonderful and actually helped spark a lot of interest in the indie scene.

As the game has gone on to see upgraded graphics and cross platform compatibility, it has lost a bit of its grassroots charm. It is still a great game and I think pixel more-than-deserves his success, but if you didn't experience the game in its original freeware form before it spread to the Wii and other systems, then I feel you're missing out on an important piece of the experience that simply can't be recreated.

I kinda disagree with your second paragraph. The knowledge of the fact that it was created by one person is still enough for me to realize the specialness. Of course, this is probably helped by the fact that back when this game came out, I was really short on money and big on freeware gaming. I've played a ton of obscure solo efforts in my time, and even gave it a try myself (failed, though). I can appreciate this sort of thing quite easily, because I know that it takes an insane amount of effort, time, and determination.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Those Eragon books were written by a kid, but that didn't make them good.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:45 pm

sabrage wrote:Those Eragon books were written by a kid, but that didn't make them good.

I think it depends on the depth of the problems. If you think that Cave Story is great but has a few flaws and you couple with it that it was done by one dude, I think that says something. You obviously think there is a lot wrong with the game and that won't be saved by the fact that it was done by one dude.
Return to General Gaming