Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
sabrage
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by sabrage Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Stark wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:I need to play The Darkness II. I was really captivated by the first game's story and the way in which it was told. I think it's unfortunate that some people are playing the sequel first though. From what I've seen of The Darkness II, it's story seems built off of the biggest spoiler and most emotional moment from the first game. You guys will go into the first game already knowing that's going to happen so it won't have the same impact

Yeah I didn't even think of that. The first one is Starbreeze, those guys are rockstars in my book. Can't wait to check out their latest, Syndicate.

Ironically, I hear that Syndicate and The Darkness 2 are both very good at one thing: power tripping all over your enemies, and The Darkness does it better.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I need to play The Darkness II. I was really captivated by the first game's story and the way in which it was told. I think it's unfortunate that some people are playing the sequel first though. From what I've seen of The Darkness II, it's story seems built off of the biggest spoiler and most emotional moment from the first game. You guys will go into the first game already knowing that's going to happen so it won't have the same impact

I knew that 'moment' before playing the sequel thanks to people not using spoiler tags on forums, it was part of the reason I did not mind playing the sequel before the original. I always thought of The Darkness as a cheaply made game (Similar to Turning Point: Fall of Liberty) for which I imagine after playing the sequel I was wrong. The graphic styling is what drew me to the second game.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita
Ys 1 - PSP *new*

TOTAL: 17

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one, as I had a lot of apprehension initially when it was decided as the TR game for March (instead of Baldur's Gate :( ) late last year. The battle mechanic is extremely fun and the pace of the game is extremely fast - it isn't at all what I had anticipated when I knew we'd be playing a JRPG with its roots in the mid-1980s. The story is full of the standard predictable tropes, but the artwork and the music - especially in Xseed's port for the PSP - is excellent and really adds a lot to the story. It is undeniably one of the shorter RPGs I've ever played - I clocked about 6 and a half hours of game clock (though probably spent closer to 8 or 9 in actual time) until I finished the game. It left me wanting to play at least some of the sequels, and I hope to get to them later this month (at least to try them out).
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:14 pm

All Games:
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered - iOS
Tiki Towers 2 - iOS
inFAMOUS - PS3
The Blackwell Legacy - PC
Blackwell Unbound - PC
The Blackwell Convergence - PC
Blackwell Deception - PC
The Secret of Grisly Manor - iOS
Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC
Skate 3 - 360
Gears of War 3 - 360
The Darkness II - PC

Total for 2012: 13

Fallout: New Vegas - PC
After finishing Skyrim I was a little burnt out on the old Bethesda way of gaming, but I picked up New Vegas for basically free for Steam so I got into it a bit.

I had the same problem with it that I did with Fallout 3, I just get bored after the first ten or so hours, that being said I enjoyed the environments in New Vegas more than I did in Fallout 3.

Unless they are dirt cheap during a sale, I doubt I will bother with the DLC.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:38 pm

1. Sonic CD (PSN)
2. Golden Axe Warrior (PS3)
3. Ico (PS3)
4. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
5. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
6. SoulBlade (PS1)
7. SoulCalibur II (PS2)
8. The Simpsons Arcade Game (PS3)
9. Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3)
10. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (PS3)
11. Ys I (PSP)

so I'm really glad we played Ys for Together Retro. It was really great. Easily the shortest RPG I've ever played, but its brevity says nothing of its quality. It was a solidly fun six hours for me. And I'm definitely now a fan of the Ys series. I'll totally check out more of the series. I went with the new PSP art and music, which I loved. The cutscenes were beautiful and the music kicked ass. So glad I got the LE with soundtrack!

Two thoughts:

1. If anyone liked this game and hasn't played Half-Minute Hero, I feel like you'd enjoy it. And the other way around as well.

2. Did anyone else catch the Hall & Oates reference at the beginning of the game? When you wake up and the nurse comes in the doctor says "uh oh, here she comes. Watch out boy she'll chew you up." Weird right?
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:11 am

noiseredux wrote:2. Did anyone else catch the Hall & Oates reference at the beginning of the game? When you wake up and the nurse comes in the doctor says "uh oh, here she comes. Watch out boy she'll chew you up." Weird right?

That is awesome... too bad it's not in the T16 version.
There is no wake-up scene, instead the game just starts with you (Adol) getting off a ship in the first town.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:05 am

SpaceBooger wrote:
noiseredux wrote:2. Did anyone else catch the Hall & Oates reference at the beginning of the game? When you wake up and the nurse comes in the doctor says "uh oh, here she comes. Watch out boy she'll chew you up." Weird right?

That is awesome... too bad it's not in the T16 version.
There is no wake-up scene, instead the game just starts with you (Adol) getting off a ship in the first town.

The SMS version just starts you at the entrance to town. There's no intro at all. It just sticks you there right after the title screen. You even have to load up your save then, it can't be loaded at the title screen.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm

noiseredux wrote:1. If anyone liked this game and hasn't played Half-Minute Hero, I feel like you'd enjoy it. And the other way around as well.

Thanks for this, I was looking for a reason to buy Half-Minute Hero.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (PC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)
2/25 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)
2/28 Bastion (PC)

Games Beaten = 7
DLC = 1

3/3 Cave Story+ (PC)

This game is really fun. It plays and looks like a 16-bit era platformer. First of all the aesthetic they were going for with the 16-bit graphics really works for this game. The animation is fluid, the controls are crisp, and the colors are bright and vivid. I played this game with a wireless 360 controller and the analog stick and it worked really well I think. I can't imagine a platformer with a keyboard and luckily I didn't have to!

The story is kind of a kickback to older games where it seems like it was there to have some reason to play.
You play as a robot from the surface that goes to this floating island to stop an evil doctor from creating a super army of rabbits from attacking the surface.
Such a crazy tale. Just a reason to put the game together and it's fun.

Anyway the main gameplay of this game is fun and is the real draw here, if you have 8 or so hours to spend on a fun platformer, your money is spent well here. The guns are pretty varied, but I only ended up mostly using the machine gun and the missles, so maybe a bit of some lost points there. I played it on Steam (I think I got it in an indie bundle), but you can get it on Wii, DS and 3DS if you so choose, and I can't imagine it plays too differently there. 3.5/5.
Last edited by Stark on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Stark wrote: but you can get it on Wii, DS and 3DS if you so choose, and I can't imagine it plays too differently there. 3/5.

it also received a really good homebrew PSP port as well.
Return to General Gaming