Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita *new*

TOTAL: 16

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

In my opinion, Uncharted: Golden Abyss has been unfairly slogged for not being up to par with its console brethren. What I found was a game that was easily as long as the other Uncharted games (34 chapters), had well implemented shooting mechanics (better than pre-patch Uncharted 3, for example), and an engaging story with excellent voice acting, cut scenes, and set pieces. I'd place it as better than Uncharted 1, not quite as good as 3, and nowhere near the brilliance of 2, which is probably the best action game of the current console generation. Golden Abyss is a very solid entry in a franchise that hasn't had a stinker yet. The fact that it was developed by Bend instead of Naughty Dog didn't seem to hurt it too much, and I thought that the touch controls were annoying only at the beginning of the game (where they introduce you to all of them, including the optional ones) and again during some of the final battles (touch-based QTEs = barf). Otherwise they weren't cumbersome, were rarely required, and in a few cases enhanced the experience.

So yeah, I bought the Vita on launch day largely because I am a fan of the Uncharted series and it was a launch game. I got nervous when reviews started showing up in the "7-8" range instead of the "9-10" range, but I think my misgivings were largely misplaced. I'd certainly recommend it to any Vita owner. Just be prepared to not want to put it down once you get a few chapters in: like the rest of the games in the series, there's always a push to see what happens next, and rarely a break in the action.
Opa Opa

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Opa Opa Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 pm

January
1- From Dust - PSN
2- Resident Evil Director's Cut - PS1
3- Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace - PS1

February

4- Deadly Premonition - Xbox 360

5- RefRain ~prism memories~ - PC

Posting this before I forget to list it.

I really enjoyed this game. Probably a good entry point for those interested in getting into the "Doujin" shooters.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:10 am

All Games:
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered - iOS
Tiki Towers 2 - iOS
inFAMOUS - PS3
The Blackwell Legacy - PC
Blackwell Unbound - PC
The Blackwell Convergence - PC
Blackwell Deception - PC
The Secret of Grisly Manor - iOS
Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC
Skate 3 - 360

Total for 2012: 11

Gears of War 3 - 360
Okay, WOW! This game is awesome in pretty much every way. I have played and completed the first two. Anyone who played them in order knows how much better the second was to the first, this game makes an even bigger jump in almost every way.

The storytelling, the story, the cutscenes, the graphics, everything took a really big jump forward and it is a great way to end the trilogy and storyline.
Goregasm
16-bit

by Goregasm Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:07 am

2012:

XIII
Metal gear solid 2
Super mario galaxy
Hitman : blood money
Gungrave

Hitman blood money was my first time playing a hitman title. I really enjoyed it. Although it was a lot of trial and error I never got bored trying new methods. I think this game is one of the best examples of the stealth action genre I've ever played. Could anyone tell me how the previous hitman titles compare to blood money??

Gungrave was a pretty fun way to kill a couple of hours. The shortness of the game probably saved it from becoming too stale. one thing that really annoyed me was the slow movement of the character. the visual style of the game is what made it worth the 4 dollars.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:09 am

Goregasm wrote:2012:

XIII
Metal gear solid 2
Super mario galaxy
Hitman : blood money
Gungrave

Hitman blood money was my first time playing a hitman title. I really enjoyed it. Although it was a lot of trial and error I never got bored trying new methods. I think this game is one of the best examples of the stealth action genre I've ever played. Could anyone tell me how the previous hitman titles compare to blood money??

Gungrave was a pretty fun way to kill a couple of hours. The shortness of the game probably saved it from becoming too stale. one thing that really annoyed me was the slow movement of the character. the visual style of the game is what made it worth the 4 dollars.

Both the Gungrave games are excellent (though I never made it past a late in game elevator level in Overdose). Everyone who enjoys fast paced action games and stylish gunplay should look them up! Make sure to play the sequel.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 pm

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (PC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)
2/25 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)

Games Beaten = 6
DLC = 1

2/28 Bastion (PC)

Bastion is a game with a really unique setting and atmosphere mixed with fairly standard, albeit highly polished, gameplay. You start out the game thrown in the middle nowhere, your character lands with a thunk and then you hear how this game is unique. It's entirely narrated. Your actions all have narration, from picking up new weapons, to doing stupid things like falling off a ledge. This never gets dull in my opinion and it's a great detail that really sets this game apart. The world kind of comes up around you and is built as you go and I don't think that it is random, it's just another unique way the game shows off it's visual style. The music in the game reminds me a lot of Firefly/Serenity and just has an excellent adventure-in-unknown-lands quality that I loved.

You eventually get to a little hub land called The Bastion, where you can do a little bit of upgrading of the land, your weapons and swap out various character enhancements. There are a lot of weapons to choose from. You have your short-range weapon, like a hammer, and a long-range weapon, like a bow, at all times. You then head out to individual levels from the hub to collect shards that upgrade The Bastion and unlock further weapons. The gameplay is basically like a dungeon-crawl or hack n' slash type gameplay. Enemies approach and you can evade them, block incoming projectiles with a shield, and generally mess them up with your melee weapons. Also there are "Proving Grounds" that open up that allow you to prove your ability with a certain weapon and unlock special attacks for that weapon.

The length that it took me to do a majoraty of the things in the game was about 8 hours, but I think that number is high for some reason. I would expect gameplay to be more around the 6 hour mark. There is a New Game Plus mode for anyone interested in another challenge and additional play throughs. Excellent game. 4.5/5

I'm striving to be better with my reviews, hope you enjoy them.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Pretty accurate review of Bastion, but you forgot the colooooorrssss.... gaaaahhhhhh *drool*. It's sooo prettty!

I love the art style in that game, and I enjoyed the gameplay too. I haven't finished it yet though. I think I'm getting too wrapped up in the proving grounds, which I can't complete.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:19 pm

1. Half Life 2: Episode One +
2. Half Life 2: Episode Two ++
3. Portal ++
4. F.E.A.R. ++
5. The Stanley Parable +

The Stanley Parable is a fun little mod put out (free, of course), which runs in the Half-Life 2 engine. Good narration, and a neat concept, but very short. I played it to completion before school this morning.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 pm

J T wrote:Pretty accurate review of Bastion, but you forgot the colooooorrssss.... gaaaahhhhhh *drool*. It's sooo prettty!

I love the art style in that game, and I enjoyed the gameplay too. I haven't finished it yet though. I think I'm getting too wrapped up in the proving grounds, which I can't complete.

The Proving Grounds I had most trouble with and subsequently did not beat, were the Blade, the Spear, and the Cannon.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:34 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:1. Half Life 2: Episode One +
2. Half Life 2: Episode Two ++
3. Portal ++
4. F.E.A.R. ++
5. The Stanley Parable +

The Stanley Parable is a fun little mod put out (free, of course), which runs in the Half-Life 2 engine. Good narration, and a neat concept, but very short. I played it to completion before school this morning.

I think there are 6 (If I remember correctly) endings to Stanley. Make sure when you play it, you don't always do as the narrator says. (It is still short, but hopefully you played it through to some different endings).
Return to General Gaming