Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Stark Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:04 pm

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (PC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)

Games Beaten = 4
DLC = 1

I loved everything about this game. This game just oozes the atmosphere of Warhammer in a way that makes me want to read books set in the universe and play other games based on Warhammer. The characters are really fleshed out it's great to see them interact while playing. The sense of honor and duty that is portrayed is perfectly handled by your character Cpt. Titus of the Ultramarines (voiced by Mark Strong) and only futher adds to the world building.

Gameplay wise this feels a bit like Gears of War, minus the cover system. On the face of it that sounds terrible, but it works really well because there is more melee in this game, there's not really time for taking cover. The way you gain abilities over the course of the game works really well. A lot of times in games like this it feels like you're a weakling at first and then you get better over time, even though people treat you like a badass from the beginning and it feels weird. This you always feel like a badass, but it doesn't cheapen getting the more powerful stuff later.

Relic Entertainment makes great games and this is no exception. Great story, great atmosphere, great gameplay. Just an all around great game! I would have put it very high on my list of best games of 2011. I can't really think of any detractors, except for some minor bugs in the PC version (very minor.) 5/5
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 pm

dsheinem wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I've never bothered keeping a list of the games I beat. I did finish Shank a few days ago however. Probably my favorite beat-em-up ever made. I'm not quite sure if it beats Guardian Heroes though. I'm going to have to buy the second one here pretty soon me thinks. I still have a craving.

Wow, that's quite a statement. Shank was ok, but it didn't strike me as anything special given other strong titles in the genre...

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. I liked it more than that Scott Pilgrim game, but I thought it had some notable flaws. It's hard for any XBLA or PSN originals to top Castle Crashers and The Dishwasher Vampire Smile in the beat'em up genre in my opinion. I haven't really had a chance to put much time into Shank 2 yet, but it does seem more inspired than the original. So, that's good I guess. I'd probably play it more if I wasn't so hooked on the Simpsons

It's surprising to me sometimes to see the games people call the best ever. I saw BurningDoom call X-Men Mutant Apocalypse on the SNES the best best beat'em up ever made in other thread. I like that game a lot, but it wouldn't make my best of list, not by a long shot.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Balasubbie
128-bit

by Balasubbie Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Games Finished 2012:

1. SMA3: Yoshi's Island (GBA)
2. Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA)
3. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
4. Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA)
5. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (PS3)
6. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS3)
7. Rayman Origins (PS3)
8. SMA4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA)

This was my first time ever finishing Mario 3, and finished World for the first time last year, so I can finally weigh in on the aged debate of which one is the finer title. It's World, easily. The levels on SMB3 are too short and too dense when compared to their better designed younger brother, World. It's a high-quality game, no doubt, and it is the blueprint for World, but I say it was succeeded immediately by its successor in terms of being the premier 2D platforming experience of the early nineties (in the West, at least).
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I've never bothered keeping a list of the games I beat. I did finish Shank a few days ago however. Probably my favorite beat-em-up ever made. I'm not quite sure if it beats Guardian Heroes though. I'm going to have to buy the second one here pretty soon me thinks. I still have a craving.

Wow, that's quite a statement. Shank was ok, but it didn't strike me as anything special given other strong titles in the genre...

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. I liked it more than that Scott Pilgrim game, but I thought it had some notable flaws. It's hard for any XBLA or PSN originals to top Castle Crashers and The Dishwasher Vampire Smile in the beat'em up genre in my opinion. I haven't really had a chance to put much time into Shank 2 yet, but it does seem more inspired than the original. So, that's good I guess. I'd probably play it more if I wasn't so hooked on the Simpsons

It's surprising to me sometimes to see the games people call the best ever. I saw BurningDoom call X-Men Mutant Apocalypse on the SNES the best best beat'em up ever made in other thread. I like that game a lot, but it wouldn't make my best of list, not by a long shot.

Again, it's not a genre I'm really all that in to. While those that do really like the genre probably have different favorites, I personally just like Shank. It's relatively fast paced and the smoothness of the combat pulled me in.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1/12) PC
Mirror's Edge (1/18) PC
Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23) PC
Puzzle Agent 2 (2/2) PC
Dinner Date (2/15) PC
NyxQuest (2/19) PC
Dear Esther (2/20) PC
The Stanley Parable (2/21) PC

This game was smart and hilarious, but I don't want to spoil any of it for those of you that haven't played it. So just take my word that it is worth the experience, and give it a try. You can reach all 6 possible endings in under and hour.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-p ... arable-v12
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 pm

I really enjoyed Stanley, one of the best user mods I have ever played.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:54 pm

I think I'll download it later.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Games beaten so far:
1. Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare 8/10
2. Sonic Generations - PS3 9/10
3. Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS 7/10
4. Starship Defense (All no SOS perfects) - DSiWare 5/10
5. Soul of Darkness - DSiWare 8/10
6. Mutant Mudds (All crystals and water sprouts) - 3DS Eshop 5/10
7. The Simpsons Arcade (US Version) - PS3 8/10

DodoGo! - DSiWare *new* 9.5/10

This game is an excellent, Lemmings style puzzle game.

nice review. i've been meaning to check that out. have you played toki tori yet? it's another great lolo-esque puzzle game.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

by YoshiEgg25 Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:35 pm

emwearz wrote:I really enjoyed Stanley, one of the best user mods I have ever played.

Agreed. I got it after you talked about it in your Games Beaten last year, and I highly recommend it.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 am

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3 *new*

TOTAL: 13

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

This is such an unabashedly fun and quirky game, and is exactly what I've always wished Monkey Ball's main campaign could be. Over the past few weeks I've played a few levels every couple of days until I got through all of the levels in the main campaign, and I am still playing some of the Marble Madness inspired "stunt" levels to explore some other aspects of the title. The games is irreverent, insane, and an absolute blast.

Here's Classic Game Room HD's review if you are on the fence on this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9FkUQhKU70
Return to General Gaming