Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Gamerforlife Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 am

dsheinem wrote:Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3 *new*
Soul Edge - PS1 *new*

TOTAL: 12


2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

Two games that I first beat long ago, now enjoyed with fresh eyes. Soul Edge is probably my favorite Soul game (if only for the nostalgia of playing with roommates in college), and The Simpsons Arcade Game is one of the best classic Konami beat 'em ups (now available on larger screens).


I'm glad to see another happy gamer playing this. Seems like this another game most of us agree on, like Sonic Generations
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14385
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Xeogred Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:05 am

...

- Fallout 3 (PC)
- Thief Gold (PC)

GOTY. The end.

Started up Thief II, loving it.
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Gamerforlife Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:04 am

Games beaten so far:
1. Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare 8/10
2. Sonic Generations - PS3 9/10
3. Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS 7/10
4. Starship Defense (All no SOS perfects) - DSiWare 5/10
5. Soul of Darkness - DSiWare 8/10
6. Mutant Mudds (All crystals and water sprouts) - 3DS Eshop 5/10
7. The Simpsons Arcade (US Version) - PS3 8/10

DodoGo! - DSiWare *new* 9.5/10

This game is an excellent, Lemmings style puzzle game. The closest game on the DSiWare service to compare it to is Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again. Both games are definitely playing in the same wheelhouse. Anyway, DodoGo! is polished. It has charm. It has decent graphics for a puzzle game (nice cut scenes and seeing the different expressions on the face of the DodoGo eggs is a nice treat). It has nice music (the excellent, catchy theme song for the game immediately implanted itself into my brain the first time I heard it at the title screen and I'll not soon forget it). It has a nice difficulty.

In fact, the game properly explains every new gameplay element to you through tutorial levels or pre-level tips so you always know what's up (also, the game introduces a new gameplay element in every world and new enemies too so it never gets boring) The game has some head scratchers, but never gets too frustrating. If you want to go the extra mile, there are bonus levels and the regular levels reward you with gold eggs if you meet the criteria. Basically, you have to beat the levels under a certain time limit, get ALL the eggs safely to the exit, AND get your eggs in a happy mood before they reach said exit. This monitoring of moods is a cool feature of the game that gives it some originality. Reminds me of how you had to keep your pets happy in the Viva Pinata games

The game has some minor flaws. The stylus controls are occasionally inaccurate when interacting with certain in-game tools. I found the stylus controls to be occasionally unresponsive as well. However, I do have a screen protector on my 3DS touch screen though, which some people say decreases its sensitivity. Also, some levels give you a tip before you start playing. Usually, this is to explain a new gameplay element. The annoying thing about this is that if you restart the level because you screwed up, you have to read that same dialog again and can't skip it.

The last thing I will say in this game's favor is that there are two spinoffs or expansions (depending on your point of view) available to download in addition to the main game. What's great is that they each serve a different purpose. DodoGo! Challenge is for people who perhaps found the puzzles in the main game too easy. DodoGo! Robot is just the opposite. It's a stripped down, accessible version of DodoGo! that plays similarly to main game's bonus levels. So there's something available for everyone, whether you're looking for more of a challenge or an easier entry point into the series.

Overall, this is a game that clearly had a lot of effort, creativity and heart put into it and it's polished to near perfection. Having enjoyed this and Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again, I can safely say that I am a fan of Lemmings style puzzle games now and will try and play some more games in this style. I hope more people try DodoGo! as it doesn't seem to have gotten as much hype and attention as some of the more high profile DSiWare games like Mighty Flip Champs, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, etc.

Here's a trailer featuring that super catchy theme song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKt9ajv0CPk
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by noiseredux Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 am

dsheinem wrote:Soul Edge - PS1 *new*


did you play the Japanese version?
Image
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23118
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by dsheinem Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:36 am

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Soul Edge - PS1 *new*


did you play the Japanese version?


um no. is the US one SoulBlade? I always get the naming confused.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by noiseredux Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:46 am

haha yeah. I *think* it was only SoulEdge in Japan, and SoulBlade everywhere else. The weirdest thing about the naming to me is why was it SoulEdge/Blade, and then all the others SoulCalibur? I never really got why they were all considered sequels... of the sequel?
Image
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8336
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by alienjesus Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:16 am

noiseredux wrote:haha yeah. I *think* it was only SoulEdge in Japan, and SoulBlade everywhere else. The weirdest thing about the naming to me is why was it SoulEdge/Blade, and then all the others SoulCalibur? I never really got why they were all considered sequels... of the sequel?


According to the 'making of' article in RetroGamer, it's because Soul Edge wasn't a big success, but Soul Calibur was. They kept the soul calibur name for brand recognition amongst their new fanbase.
Image
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 am

I've never bothered keeping a list of the games I beat. I did finish Shank a few days ago however. Probably my favorite beat-em-up ever made. I'm not quite sure if it beats Guardian Heroes though. I'm going to have to buy the second one here pretty soon me thinks. I still have a craving.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23118
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by dsheinem Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I've never bothered keeping a list of the games I beat. I did finish Shank a few days ago however. Probably my favorite beat-em-up ever made. I'm not quite sure if it beats Guardian Heroes though. I'm going to have to buy the second one here pretty soon me thinks. I still have a craving.


Wow, that's quite a statement. Shank was ok, but it didn't strike me as anything special given other strong titles in the genre...

You should keep a list too!
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 am

dsheinem wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I've never bothered keeping a list of the games I beat. I did finish Shank a few days ago however. Probably my favorite beat-em-up ever made. I'm not quite sure if it beats Guardian Heroes though. I'm going to have to buy the second one here pretty soon me thinks. I still have a craving.


Wow, that's quite a statement. Shank was ok, but it didn't strike me as anything special given other strong titles in the genre...

You should keep a list too!


The extent of my beatemup experience is basically Guardian Heroes, Shank, the Streets of Rage games, and Battletoads so keep that in mind. :lol:

It's just not a genre I'm all that interested in, but, the smoothness of Shank's combat really grabbed me. I had a lot of fun with it.

So games I've beaten this year.

Dear Esther
Deus Ex Human Revolution + Missing link(technically started it in 2011 but finished it on the 4th of Jan)
Jamestown
Shank

If I can also count games I have beaten before (many retro ones) then these games would fall under too:

NiGHTS into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Sonic
Sonic 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

It's a meager list because most of the games I want to beat I can't since I haven't had a computer decent enough to do it. That changes today though!

First on the list is Sonic Generations. :mrgreen:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gunstar Green and 15 guests