3. Ico (PS3)
4. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
5. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
6. SoulBlade (PS1)
7. SoulCalibur II (PS2)
8. The Simpsons Arcade Game (PS3)
9. Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3)
10. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (PS3)

Possibly the only time I've ever beaten a game because I hated it and didn't want to give it the satisfaction of beating me. My wife and I played through this over the course of three weekends. Compared to previous GH games, it's a piece of shit. There are baffling inclusions (you play guitar to the piano parts of "Bohemina Rhapsody"!) and a completely terrible selection of songs that I feel like would appeal to no particular audience. A lot of the songs are so badly programmed, that you have to try to NOT listen to the rhythm so as to play the song right. Neversoft's suites of Rush and Megadeth have also made me believe that they are sadistic assholes. Fuck you Warriors of Rock.
Opa Opa

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by Opa Opa Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:16 pm

noiseredux wrote:10. Guitar Heroe: Warriors of Rock (PS3)

Possibly the only time I've ever beaten a game because I hated it and didn't want to give it the satisfaction of beating me. My wife and I played through this over the course of three weekends. Compared to previous GH games, it's a piece of shit. There are baffling inclusions (you play guitar to the piano parts of "Bohemina Rhapsody"!) and a completely terrible selection of songs that I feel like would appeal to no particular audience. A lot of the songs are so badly programmed, that you have to try to NOT listen to the rhythm so as to play the song right. Neversoft's suites of Rush and Megadeth have also made me believe that they are sadistic assholes. Fuck you Warriors of Rock.

Wow. They still make those music games? I thought they died out a while ago.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Opa Opa wrote:

No, they don't, and yes, they did. Warriors of Rock was the last one I think. Came out in 2010.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Finally finished Star Ocean: Second Evolution on PSP.

After getting owned by the final boss multiple times, I leveled up for about 5 hours (lol) and completely massacred the dude. Almost felt like cheating.

This is one of those games that pissed me off while playing it, but when I think back now I realize that it was in fact pretty solid.

Might take a little break from the JRPGs for awhile.
Balasubbie
128-bit

by Balasubbie Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 pm

alienjesus wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:

No, they don't, and yes, they did. Warriors of Rock was the last one I think. Came out in 2010.

The unfortunate thing is that Activision staff (lower rungs, testers/co-ordinators etc) found out that both GH and Tony Hawk were getting canned the same time as the general public, so basically realized they'd lost their jobs by scanning the headlines of Kotaku/Eurogamer et al. Ouchies.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:38 am

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1/12)
Mirror's Edge (1/18)
Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23)
Puzzle Agent 2 (2/2)
Dinner Date (2/15)
NyxQuest (2/19)

I am surprised I haven't heard more about this game. I found it thoroughly enjoyable. It's about the love of Icarus, Nyx, who is on her way to find out what has happened to him after he attempted to fly too close to the sun. The gameplay is perfectly graceful. The feel of gliding through the air and flapping your wings is really satisfying as it forces you to take many 'leaps of faith' in the hopes that you will eventually find something to land on before your wings give out. The game combines physics manipulation with side scrolling platforming. This is done to good effect by making your keyboard the primary control for Nyx and the mouse controls the intervening hand of the gods that manipulates the world around you. The final level of the game was epic and the gameplay combined a high speed platformer with a first person shooter. Basically the world is falling apart around you so you have to keep Nyx running and jumping from platform to platform, while simultaneously zapping a flurry of meteors with Zeus' lightning before they hit Nyx. It was quite challenging, but good fun.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 am

J T wrote:NyxQuest

I'm assumign this was played on Steam or something? It was a fairly popular game on wiiware at one point, although most wiiware goes unnoticed anyhow.

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Trip World 3DS VC
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Asterix SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
Picross DS DS
Half Minute Hero PSP
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
StarTropics VC
Faselei! NGPC
Ninja Commando VC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC *NEW*
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii *NEW*
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC *NEW*
Total: 25

Poképark Wii was an ok little game, evidently aimed at a younger audience than me. It features pikachu wandering around a pokemon theme park (in the loosest possible sense) making friends and using the power of friendship to save the game blahblahblahblah - in otherwords, its the normal pokemon animé cutesy crap. However, for all that it's ridiculously cutesy and twee, it's also a game that made me feel quite happy when I was playing it. Everything is just so happy - bright colours, pleasant musical melodies and happy characters that you just kinda get taken along with it. The mission of the game is to beat the 14 attractions at the park, which are VERY simplistic mini games using the wii remote. I kind of expected these minigames to form the bulk of the game, but actually most of your time is used making friends by playing 'skill' games. These involved playing another pokemon at hide and seek, chase (where you tag the other pokemon so hard they launch through the air like a rocket :lol: ), platforms (a simple jumping game made harder by the games controls), a quiz (3 questions about the game) or a battle with the opposing pokemon where you can use pikachus dash, thunderbolt and iron tail to lower their health. The game does have numerous issues though - all the minigames are counterproductively single player only, which is very odd, as most would work perfectly in multiplayer due to them being races. The controls are awful, using the wii remote like a NES pad for a 3D game - pikachus turning circle with the d pad is HUGE, making platforming and chases harder than necessary. The number of attractions as mentioned before is also rather odd. Overall, it was enjoyable enough, and I'm sure the 9 year old me would LOVE it, but I felt it was only ok.

Sam and Max episodes 304 and 305 confirmed to me that The Devil's Playhouse is the best season of Sam and Max yet. The atmosphere was pefectly judged as a shlock B movie horror/film noir/action movie (depending on the episode and the time in the episode), the new characters are funny and less annoying than a lot of the ones from previous seasons (many of whom have been written out by this season, which is nice) and the old characters make appearances, but don't rely so much on in-jokes and knowledge of past seasons as they did in season two, nor are they as heavily featured. Several of the characters have their own side stories going on which you will have nothing to do with, but will impact your case at certain points, as you will impact theirs. The villains of both episodes were quite unexpected, though I do feel like I should have seen them coming a mile off in episode 305. The ending to episode 305 was pretty damn unexpected too, and I kinda liked it. The control issues I had with this season were forgotten fairly quickly and I think I may even like them more than the earlier seasons too, although I wish there was a run button. The puzzles were well designed in both episodes - never too confusing, but requiring a little thinking outside of the box. Episode 305 was full of cameo appearances from fan favourite characters which were useful for different puzzles, but not overwhelming in story importance. Finally, both episodes were really funny, and I had quite a few big laugh-out-loud moments throughout. Now I'm just sad that I've finished all the Telltale Sam & Max games, and I need to decide what adventure game to play next. I'm thinking I might pick up Sam & Max Hit the Road and see how their adventure games all started.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:22 pm

All Games:
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered - iOS
Tiki Towers 2 - iOS
inFAMOUS - PS3
The Blackwell Legacy - PC
Blackwell Unbound - PC
The Blackwell Convergence - PC
Blackwell Deception - PC
The Secret of Grisly Manor - iOS
Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC

Total for 2012: 10

Skate 3 - 360
I love skateboarding games, I love Skate., I have not played Skate 2.

Skate 3 was a pretty big let down to me, it focuses a lot on its online functions that if you play this game by yourself, it is pretty lackluster, its not because the game is bad or anything, it just has zero flow.

Every 30 seconds you watch a loading screen as you try a new challenge, if you mess the challenge up you have to wait while it restarts, then wait while it countdowns from 3, then try again. I found it overtly frustrating, while the issue was there in the first game, I feel it is like five times worse in the third.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1/12) PC
Mirror's Edge (1/18) PC
Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23) PC
Puzzle Agent 2 (2/2) PC
Dinner Date (2/15) PC
NyxQuest (2/19) PC
Dear Esther (2/20) PC

Haunting. Melancholy. Contemplative. Mysterious. It's hard to desribe Dear Esther. It is not really a game, as there is nothing to do other than walk and look at things. It's more like videogame poetry or a picture that you can walk inside of. The story is told through a fractured internal narrative that is triggered either by contextual cues in the environment, or just random thoughts of the played character. You also pick up bits and pieces of context to the main story by carefully looking around the world for clues. You'll find a lot of reference to the biblical story of the conversion of St. Paul on the road to Damascus. Everything in the plot is very murky and ambiguous, which adds to the enigmatic appeal of Dear Esther.

This is also a rare case of an indie game looking not only 'as good as', but actually looking better than most AAA titles. The environments are richly detailed, achingly beautiful, and allow you to soak in the games sullen atmosphere. Just check out some of these screenshots I took in game. In particular, "The Caves" is probably the most visually breathtaking virtual world I've ever traveled.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:27 am

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3 *new*
Soul Edge - PS1 *new*

TOTAL: 12

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

Two games that I first beat long ago, now enjoyed with fresh eyes. Soul Edge is probably my favorite Soul game (if only for the nostalgia of playing with roommates in college), and The Simpsons Arcade Game is one of the best classic Konami beat 'em ups (now available on larger screens).
Return to General Gaming