9. Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3)
10. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (PS3)
11. Ys I (PSP)
12. Heavy Rain (PS3)
13. Street Fighter x Tekken (PS3)
14. King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
15. Knights of the Round (PS2)
16. Journey (PSN)
17. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3)

finally upgraded to AE. One of my favorite fighters this gen is even greater.
MasonB15
24-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by MasonB15 »

Mega Man 2 - NES
Mega Man 3 - NES
Legend of Zelda - NES

D - 3DO
Contra - NES
Ninja Gaiden - NES
Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES
Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES
Metal Storm - NES
River City Ransom - NES
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES

I beat all of the games in bold while I was on spring break last week. That's what college students are supposed to do on spring break, right?

Sadly, this was the first time that I managed to complete all of those games. I'm still excited that I finally beat Ninja Gaiden. I want to put that shit on a resume.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

sabrage wrote:Oh, I don't take notes or anything serious like that... I laughed when my ex-girlfriend told me that I played too many video games, because she managed to beat my copy of Picross 3D. :lol: I've been chipping away at it for almost 2 years now but the Hard-level puzzles are just so long and intensive that I get bored after a few minutes.

It's not detailed notes, just specific moves. Like if you run across a circle 5 or square 6 or something ... those are usually the ones that hold you up.

(spoiler for size and off-topic response :D)
It could also be the system you're using (method in which you solve the puzzles). I had a pretty consistent method down for marking/deleting. You just keep rotating and shrinking the puzzles looking for contradictions in the puzzle. You also have to recognize patterns (like if there's a row of 3 blocks and it says circle 2 ... you know that only the two outer blocks could possibly be part of the puzzle.)

There's other "tricks", like, for the circle numbers, if the number of blocks in the row or column are one more than the number used in the line, then the ends of the line are part of the puzzle. Also, You know, circle 2 lines and square 3 lines none of the selected blocks can touch. For solving square lines, the biggest help will be recognizing when no more blocks can be in a segment. If the line is like square 7, you have 3 selected in one area and 3 in another area then you know that the final block cannot touch either of the existing areas, because there needs to be at least 3 gaps.

It's just crap like that and maximizing going back through the puzzle slices as fast as possible. Don't sit there and stare at it. If you don't notice anything, just move on.

--

I'm going to start inFamous 2 tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

Cronozilla wrote:Picross

Yeah, I discovered most of the ins and outs while playing (and from Picross DS previously) but I think I'm just burnt out on it. I'm sure if I have a long plane flight or something I'll hammer the rest of it out with ease.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

MasonB15 wrote:Mega Man 2 - NES
Mega Man 3 - NES
Legend of Zelda - NES

D - 3DO
Contra - NES
Ninja Gaiden - NES
Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES
Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES
Metal Storm - NES
River City Ransom - NES
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES

I beat all of the games in bold while I was on spring break last week. That's what college students are supposed to do on spring break, right?

Sadly, this was the first time that I managed to complete all of those games. I'm still excited that I finally beat Ninja Gaiden. I want to put that shit on a resume.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on some of them. Particularly the less well known ones like D & Metal Storm
MasonB15
24-bit

Post by MasonB15 »

alienjesus wrote:I'd like to hear your thoughts on some of them. Particularly the less well known ones like D & Metal Storm

Absolutely!

For those who don't know, D is an FMV horror/adventure game, although the horror element isn't really there; there are no scares to be had while playing this game. There's not much fun either. You explore many uninteresting environments where nothing really happens, other than some borderline hilarious encounters with a talking ghostly head who must have been voiced by the first guy they found on the street. The gameplay is similar to that of a point-and-click adventure game, and, if you enjoy those games or anything with a lot of puzzle solving, I'd say that D might be worth playing. Just don't expect it to be a scare-fest. Overall, I give it a "meh" out of 10.

Metal Storm is awesome. It's actually the very first NES game that I can remember playing. You control a very well animated mech, walk to the right, and blow stuff up. What sets it apart, though, is the ability to manipulate gravity. Your mech can reverse the gravity in the room, allowing it to walk on the ceiling. Mastering how this works is essential to getting through the game and makes for many interesting platforming sections and boss battles. The controls are great, the graphics are well animated, the soundtrack is cool, and the difficulty is just right. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good sidescroller, as this is a game that, in my opinion, defines the term "hidden gem."

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been abused by the Internet, but I'd say that it isn't as bad as the AVGN and most of the Internet would have you believe. Also, is it just me, or is the infamous dam section very easy? Do people forget that they can switch turtles?

I'd talk about the others, but there isn't really much to say about them that hasn't already been said.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

MasonB15 wrote:Metal Storm is awesome. It's actually the very first NES game that I can remember playing. You control a very well animated mech, walk to the right, and blow stuff up. What sets it apart, though, is the ability to manipulate gravity. Your mech can reverse the gravity in the room, allowing it to walk on the ceiling. Mastering how this works is essential to getting through the game and makes for many interesting platforming sections and boss battles. The controls are great, the graphics are well animated, the soundtrack is cool, and the difficulty is just right. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good sidescroller, as this is a game that, in my opinion, defines the term "hidden gem."

I love Metal Storm. When VVVVVV came out and everyone was praising it for having such an original gameplay mechanic I kept saying "Don't forget Metal Storm!". I mean, I love VVVVVV, but Metal Storm was fantastic and did the gravity flip long before VVVVVV ever came around.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

MasonB15 wrote:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been abused by the Internet, but I'd say that it isn't as bad as the AVGN and most of the Internet would have you believe. Also, is it just me, or is the infamous dam section very easy? Do people forget that they can switch turtles?

The dam is really over-rated in difficulty, but the game certainly isn't. The last corridor in the Thunderdome was absolutely torturous, I game overed there a few times when I was trying to beat TMNT. Personally, I do think it's as bad as people say, but for perhaps different reasons.

J T wrote:
I love Metal Storm. When VVVVVV came out and everyone was praising it for having such an original gameplay mechanic I kept saying "Don't forget Metal Storm!". I mean, I love VVVVVV, but Metal Storm was fantastic and did the gravity flip long before VVVVVV ever came around.

And Wendy: Every Witch Way for GBC did it after metal storm but before VVVVVV too.
MasonB15
24-bit

Post by MasonB15 »

J T wrote:I love Metal Storm. When VVVVVV came out and everyone was praising it for having such an original gameplay mechanic I kept saying "Don't forget Metal Storm!". I mean, I love VVVVVV, but Metal Storm was fantastic and did the gravity flip long before VVVVVV ever came around.

There's another game I need to man up and play through.
alienjesus wrote:And Wendy: Every Witch Way for GBC did it after metal storm but before VVVVVV too.

Interesting. I'll have to check that game out.
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

MasonB15 wrote:Sadly, this was the first time that I managed to complete all of those games. I'm still excited that I finally beat Ninja Gaiden. I want to put that shit on a resume.

big respect for beating Ninja Gaiden. i've gotten to the final boss, but having to start all the way back at the beginning of the world every time you die is just unbelievably obnoxious.