1. Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2. The Ball (PC)
3. Tyrian 2000 (PC)
4. Shogo - Mobile Armor Division (PC)
5. Disney's Goof Troop (SNES)
6. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
7. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
8. Abobo's Big Adventure (PC)

After seeing that noiseredux had beaten this, I figured I would sit down with it. I have not laughed that hard in a while. So many references to so many games, many of which were completely unexpected but very appreciated. Kirby taking over for Krang? Genius. If any of you guys want a romp that is relatively quick, completely over the top, and rife with nostalgia but also full of fury...well, Abobo's the place to go.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:After seeing that noiseredux had beaten this, I figured I would sit down with it. I have not laughed that hard in a while. So many references to so many games, many of which were completely unexpected but very appreciated. Kirby taking over for Krang? Genius. If any of you guys want a romp that is relatively quick, completely over the top, and rife with nostalgia but also full of fury...well, Abobo's the place to go.

awesome! Makes me happy that I got someone else to play it. And it was hilarious man. So many little things like the Konami Code being a necessity or Donkey Kong throwing barrels or the mermaid from The Goonies. Just top notch.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I beat two games tonight: Double Dragon for the Master System and Spin Masters for the Neo Geo. It was a very good night. :)
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

lisalover1 wrote:I beat two games tonight: Double Dragon for the Master System and Spin Masters for the Neo Geo. It was a very good night. :)

I can't even remember the last time I beat two games in one day. Real life is a lot busier than I imagined it when I was 10. Even on the weekends I don't have much gaming time.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2. The Ball (PC)
3. Tyrian 2000 (PC)
4. Shogo - Mobile Armor Division (PC)
5. Disney's Goof Troop (SNES)
6. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
7. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
8. Abobo's Big Adventure (PC)
9. Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye (SNES)

Shanghai II is a mahjong solitaire game and the sequel to the game Shanghai. If you have ever played mahjong solitaire, then you should have an idea as to how this is played, but for those of you who do not, it is basically a matching game where the player attempts to remove tiles from a complex pyramid arrangement. The Turtle Arrangement is the form of choice in Shanghai II. Players are presented with a variety of aesthetic choices while playing, as well as multiplayer options, including playing against a clock or against an opponent to earn more pairs before the game becomes stuck or the board is cleared. Simple, yes, but as someone who enjoys mahjong solitaire, the game is enjoyable. The background music is short and repetitive, but soothing. Perhaps the only jarring thing about the game is the message the game shows when no more matches are available. For mahjong solitaire fans, or those interested in alternate games being presented in a virtual format, it is not a bad title. I enjoyed it more than Super Solitaire, despite having more game options in that one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Sonic CD (PSN)
2. Golden Axe Warrior (PS3)
3. Ico (PS3)
4. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
5. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
6. SoulBlade (PS1)
7. SoulCalibur II (PS2)
8. The Simpsons Arcade Game (PS3)
9. Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3)
10. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (PS3)
11. Ys I (PSP)
12. Heavy Rain (PS3)
13. Street Fighter x Tekken (PS3)
14. King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
15. Knights of the Round (PS2)
16. Journey (PSN)
17. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3)
18. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1)
19. Skullgirls (PSN)
20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
21. Abobo's Big Adventure (PC)
22. Adventure (PC)

So I started reading Racing The Beam, which is of course highly recommended. I kind of picked it up with the intention that not only would I be reading about the VCS' history, but also I'd be able to take the time to play a lot of the classic Atari games that I've missed over the years. Now although the 2600 was one of my first consoles, and I had a rather sizable collection of carts, I had never played Adventure. Certainly I can see the impressiveness of the game for its time, but I was sort of appalled at how quickly and easily I beat the game. I mean, I didn't know what I was doing or where I was going. But on my first try, and in 5-10 minutes, the game was over.

It also made me think about Halo 2600. Now of course that game had many years of hindsight to work with, but if you want to see a truly mind-blowing program that fit in a very small file then I need to once again recommend playing through Halo 2600.

OH and I wanted to point out that Atari has a great archive of classics you can play right in your browser here: http://www.atari.com/arcade/all
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

noiseredux wrote: Certainly I can see the impressiveness of the game for its time, but I was sort of appalled at how quickly and easily I beat the game. I mean, I didn't know what I was doing or where I was going. But on my first try, and in 5-10 minutes, the game was over.

i thought it was fun. were you playing it on level 1 or level 2 or 3?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I was playing it on whatever the default is. I also thought it was fun. It just didn't last very long.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I believe Adventure starts on difficulty level 1 by default.

You should definitely tackle difficulty 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Sonic CD (PSN)
2. Golden Axe Warrior (PS3)
3. Ico (PS3)
4. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
5. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
6. SoulBlade (PS1)
7. SoulCalibur II (PS2)
8. The Simpsons Arcade Game (PS3)
9. Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3)
10. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (PS3)
11. Ys I (PSP)
12. Heavy Rain (PS3)
13. Street Fighter x Tekken (PS3)
14. King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
15. Knights of the Round (PS2)
16. Journey (PSN)
17. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3)
18. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1)
19. Skullgirls (PSN)
20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
21. Abobo's Big Adventure (PC)
22. Adventure (PC)
23. Wolfenstein 3D (PSN)

at this point I'm calling Wolf3D beat. I beat it earlier this month, on easy. I planned to play through harder, but I just don't have it in me. Got to the middle of the 2nd level but meh. I just wasn't into replaying same levels harder. So yeah. It was fun while it lasted. Still think it's a great game. But didn't hold my attention like I had hoped.