Games Beaten 2012

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by swiftzx »

noiseredux wrote:
swiftzx wrote:The game is on sale?

I really don't know. It came out at $4.99, but Sega was having a sale at the same time, so not sure if that's normal price or sale price.

Ya I got when it on the 15th and saw in the description that there was no mention of a introductory price or anything of the sort.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

My New Year's gaming resolution is to beat both Shaq-Fu and Superman 64...
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
boobie
16-bit

Post by boobie »

January:
Cave story (PC) 8/10
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare

Unlocked everything, saw the game's true ending, finished every level and boss fight with Gold Star rank and maxed out my lives at 99 8)

So I never played any of the Mario vs Donkey Kong games before, but I stumbled on to this one while looking for DSiWare exclusive games. I've seen it compared to the Lemmings games. You basically have to get your little mini Mario wind-up toys to the exit of each stage while avoiding enemies and obstacles. There's also the added challenge of trying to get your guys into the exit in quick succession as there is a time limit that activates whenenever one of them enters the exit and if another guy doesn't enter the exit before the timer runs out it's game over. Plus, you have to try and collect every coin and item if you want to unlock everything AND finish the stages as quickly as possible if you want to get a Gold Star rank for each stage.

Let me tell you, getting gold star ranks on some of those stages was making my brain hurt and also required some insane multi-tasking to keep everyone alive and finish the stage in time. Getting gold star ranks on the boss fights were hard too, but that's mostly because they are so stupidly designed. This is a pretty tough game to 100%, particularly if you're bad at puzzles, but persistence pays off

It's a fun little puzzle game, with a pretty large number of levels once you unlock them all and some decent replay value if you want to get Gold Star Rank in each stage as well as find the letters in each stage. It's the only way to actually unlock everything. I like the old school, Donkey Kong vibe. It's awesome seeing one of my mini-Marios pick up a set of hammers and hear the classic, timeless, power up jingle from the original Donky Kong as he kills any enemy he runs into. I liked the fact that Mario is actually going after a different girl in this game. It's not like he's getting anyware with Princess Peach afterall :wink: So we got Pauline back from the old DK Games. I also love the use of sound in this game. There's a series of beeps when you raise or lower the volume on the 3DS, and whenever you close the 3DS you'll hear Mario say something funny like, "Hey, where are you going?!"and when you open it back up you'll hear some random thing like "welcome back!" or "I love this game". I like little things like that.

On the negative side, there is quite a bit of trial and error to succeeding in the game, which is annoying. This game will eat away at your extra lives quick as you watch your guys die over and over again as you try to figure out what to do. I also hated the boss fights with Donkey Kong. They're based entirely on luck and don't fit in with the rest of the game, which is very methodical rather than being based on randomness and luck. Plus, the boss fights are the only time in the game that having to use the stylus is annoying and you feel like the boss fights would have controlled better with the 3DS d-pad or analog
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS *new*
Current - iOS *new*

TOTAL: 2

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

Golden Axe Warrior has some charm and looks great for the SMS, but I didn't really enjoy it much. Glad to have it done.

Current is a fun Puzzle Bobble type of game that took an hour or two and is quite a bit of fun. It is currently free (see the pun!), if you want to check it out.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Sonic CD (PSN)
2. Golden Axe Warrior (PS3)

First TR of the year down; eleven more to go! I actually think I enjoyed this quite a bit in retrospect. Sure it was brutally hard -- made no easier by poor controls. Sure, maps and FAQs were pretty much a must. But at the same time, it was an impressively vast 8-bit game. I'm sure those weirdos who had SMS instead of NES (*disclaimer: I adore SMS) were thrilled to have this game back when their friends were gushing over Zelda. And I'm really happy to have played through this entire weird Zelda clone, as it did sort of feel like a "lost game," if that makes sense. I also enjoyed keeping the maps in a weird way. I would print each dungeon map out along with the overworld map that Exed posted, and I'd make little notes all over it -- marking where items were, where warps brought you, etc. I'd even mark my proposed route in alternate colors. It was just a lot of fun doing that, in a way that reminded me of playing Zelda, et al when I was much younger. As hard as the game felt to me, I felt a compulsion to continue playing every chance I got. I never wanted to walk away from it. That's the mark of a good game, even if it was frustrating. With each dungeon beat, each new weapon or armor or spell found, I felt a great surge of progress. Truth be told I will probably NEVER play this game again, but I am really pleased that I beat it this once.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Games beaten so far:
1. Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare

Sonic Generations - PS3 *new*

Nice return to form for Sonic, though I haven't played some of the other modern Sonic games and can't comment on their quality, but the franchise seemed to have lost its good name. This game restores my faith in Sonic. It's fast and fun and really just has everything you'd want in a modern Sonic game. I like that the game has a skill system, or upgrade system if one would rather call it that. The optional challenges, which for the most part you are never forced to play, are actually pretty cool and some of them are a nice throwback to various fun aspects of the series. Some are built around using the elemental shields that were so fun to use in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. One has you grabbing Tails and flying through a level. Another even has you racing against Tails in his biplane from Sonic2.

The game feels like a nice return to Sonic's roots, but also celebrates-for better or for worse, the franchise's entire history in a classy way. In fact, the credits sequence actually tempted me to seek out and play some of the different Sonic games to come out in the past couple of years as it displays each game in the history of the franchise with no shame. The game feels like a birthday present for Sonic and his fans who have stuck with him

My only real gripe with the game was that I didn't love the last two boss fights. Other than that, it's all good.

I like the game's sense of humor and I love that it makes fun of itself. Tails muses on how Sonic can carry so many rings and how he keeps forgetting to ask him about that. Sonic talks to his past self and says that they always beat Robotnick and wonders why that is. He says, "it's like it's our job or something". Another funny moment is when Robotnick from the past sees his future self and wonders if he's ever going to really become that crazy and there is a great post credit sequence where Robotnick finally considers if maybe trying to beat Sonic over and over again is not the best career choice for him. There's just this wonderful acknowledgement in this game of how absurd and ridiculous certain things about the franchise are.

The game ends on a nice message of hope with the words, "you're going to have a great future Sonic". Maybe a message for the fans? Anyway, I'd rate this a 9 out of 10. It's the one to get for people who haven't touched a Sonic game since the 16-bit era. The game acknowledges every 3D Sonic to come before it with reverence, while simultaneously putting them all to shame. If you haven't enjoyed any of the 3D Sonic games, you'll probably like this one. It really feels like Sonic finally has his shit together again
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS *NEW*
Trip World 3DS VC *NEW*

Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call is another good game in the Layton series, but I have to say, story wise it was definitely the weakest of the series (although 1 is pretty bad too, so maybe its second). Even for a Layton game it required you to suppress your disbelief at the 'real' solution to the games puzzles. The puzzles in the game were actually pretty decent, with very few horrible ones such as the godawful solitaire and Knights Tour puzzles in Layton 2, but there seemed to be less variance in puzzle difficulty - they started a bit harder than normal, but didn't really increase in difficulty much, meaning on average it was one of the easiest in the series. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed this one a lot, but it's certainly not comparable to the fantastic Professor Layton & The Lost Future. It is, however, the start of a trilogy and ends with some stuff unresolved, so perhaps it'll improve over the course of the 3 games. I like the new Emmy character, and Luke managed to not be too annoying in this one, so there are some positives to the story :lol:
Finally (and with BIG SPOILER warnings) the ending to this one was pretty weak.
Layton likes its bittersweet, sad-but-good-in-a-way endings, and this one was no exception. The only problem was that it was frankly, a bit weak, limp and predictable, and I think it would've actually been improved if it'd just been a disney style happy ending this time. The ending music was also disappointing, and marks the first in the series since Curious Village that hasn't made me want to well up with manly tears.

Trip World is an interesting little Sunsoft game for the original Game Boy that I've been wanting forever, but have never even seen on UK eBay. I downloaded it as soon as it came out on Virtual Console and I was mostly happy with my purchase. It's very short (about 10-20 minutes long for a full run through) and mostly easy (with the exception of the second last boss who is a bit of a tosser), but the game offers great musicand impressive graphics for the game boy and creates a really interesting world to play through - most enemies in the game literally only appear ONCE ever, and you'll find a lot of unique and funny enemies - one turns into a harmless mushroom as you pass, some are only a few pixels high and in one section, a cow thing and a otter thing both just crawl along harmlessly behind you. Most of these 'enemies' actually won't attack you at all, and the ones that do often require you to attack them first, but the games bosses can sometimes be challenging and offer the main chance of you dying. The game gives you 3 lives to play through the game, and you cant get more. You can take 4 hits per life, which is easy for the levels but challenging for some of the bosses.

Finally, you can transform into different forms, either with a button combo or by picking up a berry. Pressing down + b transforms you into a fish who flops uselessly on land but swims underwater with a long range attack, and up and b makes your ears become wings to fly about with, but you cant attack at all. Also, you can only fly in one direction because you fall if you turn, and you cant swim. The normal form attacks with a small kick, and you'll use that form the most. Berrys transform you into a ball to bounce about, or make you mini, both of which are fun but useless. Some berries make you grow a flower on your head, allowing you to paralyse enemies by shooting seeds at them, or grow a tail for a longer range attack. Getting both of these at once transforms you into a logn legged form that throws instant death fireballs, one hit killing even bosses, but you can only do this at one point of the games 5 levels. Overall, the game is pretty fun, if not particularly challenging, and is definitely worth a play for it's uniqueness.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Shenmue II -- Dreamcast

If you liked the first one, do whatever you have to get the 2nd one. Being the DC fan I am, I got the PAL version.

My opinions follow underneath a handy tag.

I understand this was to be a huge, multi-chapter epic, but it saddens me to see the end to this great game. I thought Disc 3 would end it, and I so thought we would be back to see or fight Lan Di, but COME ON SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANOTHER TO BE CONTINUED?! GAH!

The only glimmer of hope -- an article from last week

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -from-sega

DO IT!!!!!

Now to play the arcade end of things -- happy that I can play the 4 Sega arcade games all at once and not have to worry about time or money :)

The first game complete in 2012, but not the last!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

You didn't know!?... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell