Games Beaten 2012

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by BurningDoom »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Donkey Kong Country Returns.

What a let down. I can't believe how terrible the controls are. This certainly doesn't feel like a first-party Nintendo production. I have no desire to ever play this again.

Really? I've never played it but I've been itching to ever since it came out.

Did you like the original SNES Donkey Kong Country games?
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

BurningDoom wrote:Really? I've never played it but I've been itching to ever since it came out.

Well I was really excited about it too... which is why I'm so disappointed now that I finished it.

Yes I do like the original SNES games. The original DKC is about 10 times better than DKCR however.

DKCR would have been somewhat decent if it actually had classic controller support. The Wiimote/nunchuck controls are terribly flawed (having to shake the Wiimore to roll is the worst idea ever).

I didn't care much for the level design either. So many levels consist mainly of tiny platforms scattered over a giant chasm. They're a pain in the ass to navigate with the busted controls.

Yeah I'm complaining a lot but this just really left a bad taste in my mouth. It's not a bad game, but it's undeniably frustrating and hard for all the wrong reasons.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:Really? I've never played it but I've been itching to ever since it came out.

DKCR would have been somewhat decent if it actually had classic controller support. The Wiimote/nunchuck controls are terribly flawed (having to shake the Wiimore to roll is the worst idea ever).

Well that's terrible news to hear. I didn't know that. I'm assuming that means the Gamecube controller wouldn't work either. What a shame.
Game Trade/Want List:

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

You either have to use Wiimote/nunchuck or the Wiimote alone (turned sideways like New Super Mario Bros). While the latter option sounds better in theory, it's still quite awkward, and you still have to shake the Wiimote to roll. :evil:
Balasubbie
128-bit

Post by Balasubbie »

I couldn't disagree more. I mean, I had some minor niggles with the side-Wiimote set-up, but they ironed out quickly and I found the game to play pretty slickly from thereon. I also
thought the level-design harkened back brilliantly to the ball-gnawing difficulty-curve of the
original DKC trilogy without ever feeling like a redundant retread, something I felt Mario Bros. Wii was guilty of in heavy measures.

Honestly, and with no aims at hyperbole, I'd stick it up with the original game in terms of potent quality. I even went back and 100-percent'd it. Something I can never be arsed to
do, as it generally seems like a tired device to squeeze out an extra piece of game to justify
its price-tag.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

MichaelMitschele wrote:I just beat Bionic Commando on the Capcom Classics Collection, unlocking all three extras. Took only about twenty minutes with unlimited continues
Michael Mitschele

Who was the moron at Capcom that decided to include the arcade version on that rather than the absolute masterpiece that is the NES version of Bionic Commando?
Game Trade/Want List:

DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You either have to use Wiimote/nunchuck or the Wiimote alone (turned sideways like New Super Mario Bros). While the latter option sounds better in theory, it's still quite awkward, and you still have to shake the Wiimote to roll. :evil:
There's a hack that adds classic controller support. I intend to try it out if I get the game.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Balasubbie wrote:niggles

Such a great word that I'm afraid to use in everyday conversation.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (DLC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)
2/25 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)
2/28 Bastion (PC)
3/3 Cave Story+ (PC)
3/5 Puzzle Agent 2 (PC)
3/5 Rochard (PC)
3/31 Journey (PS3)
4/6 Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4/24 Half-Minute Hero (PSP)
5/6 Mass Effect 2 (360)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Overlord (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Arrival (DLC)
5/16 Rayman Origins (PSV)

Games Beaten = 15
DLC = 6

5/28 Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PSV)

I was a little worried about playing another platformer so close to one of the best I've played in a while in Rayman Origins, but at $4.99 I couldn't pass it up. Turns out this game is pretty different than Rayman and skews more towards the puzzle/platformer-genre. I also had some concern with there being some forced touch controls, as this is a Playstation Vita only game and my other experience with that, the game Escape Plan, fell kind of short in that department. I wasn't disappointed in my purchase though, the touch-only controls were implemented well and I felt they only served to enhance the experience.

The game could easily be described as Katamari-esque, you move your blob throughout the level, gobbling up various items to reach an appropriate size to proceed. You're then whisked away to another part of the level to do the same again. These levels are broken up by an occaional level called Tilt-A-Blob, where you use the Vita's gyro to do a sort of Labryinth-type gameplay, Marble Madness, would be a videogaming parallel.

In the end I felt that the game was a little short and I would have liked to see more levels, but this is an excellent first outing for Drinkbox Studios and I look forward to future releases.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Shenmue II -- Dreamcast (January 9)
Golden Axe Warrior -- Sega Master System (January 19)
Ys I -- Turbo CD (March 22)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 -- Dreamcast (April 30)
*NEW* - Warioware Twisted - Game Boy Advance (May 30)
*NEW* - Wolfenstein 3D - Game Boy Advance (May 31)

Hey look, a game beaten this year that is not a Together Retro title :lol:
I have to mention this one with great sadness because a game like this doesn't come around and just be so all around *awesome* often for me. Heck, even IGN listed it #1 in their top 20 GBA games OF ALL TIME if that's worth the bandwidth it's stored on.

But it is not COMPLETED, as there is still stuff that can be unlocked with multiple play-throughs, and of course I have many more microgames to find.

The 2nd one WAS the TR title for this month. It was something I've put off for years, but I played the very good GBA port this time with no quicksave or quickloads in the middle of the level. It was brutal, but all 6 episodes have been cleared, and this accomplishment was just as big, emotional, and important as last month's over in THPS 2.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.