Picross DS DS
Half Minute Hero PSP
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
StarTropics VC
Faselei! NGPC
Ninja Commando VC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut GC
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias WiiWare
Dead or Alive 3 XBox
Ys: The Vanished Omens SMS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife DS
Art Style: Rotohex WiiWare
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare
Lords of Thunder VC
Punch-Out!! Wii
Ufouria: The Saga VC
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 3DS VC
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS VC
Xenoblade Chronicles Wii
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces Wii
Wario Land 4 3DS VC
Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS *NEW*
Kirby's Adventure Wii Wii *NEW*
Total: 42

Kid Icarus was a really fun game I thoroughly enjoyed, and one of a rare few I played all the way through so soon after purchase. Lots of people have complained about the stylus controls during the on-foot sections, and I can see their frustrations, but I quickly became accustomed to it, and whilst not a perfect set up I found it more than satisfactory. The odd controls lent it a uniqueness I enjoyed also. The game feels a lot like a saturday morning cartoon, with lots of dialogue and in-jokes amongst the characters, new characters constantly cropping up, and a good amount of 4th wall breaking with characters referring to the levels, game design, or other Nintendo games such as Nintendogs, Metroid and Brain Training. The constant chatter is also bound to annoy some, but I found myself amused, and the characters were likable, so I had no issues. The action of the game was fairly relentless, with enemies pouring out of everywhere in order to attack pit. The flying sections were better than the ground sections, feeling like Sin and Punishment with a stylus. The on foot sections were a bit slower and not quite as fun, but I liked them too. The on foot mechanics work better in the multiplayer mode though, which I found to be incredibly addictive - reminding me quite a bit of smash bros. In fact, a lot of things are taken from smash bros, from the menu system, to the eclectic and chaotic mix of items to use in battle, the challenge wall and the games 'trophies' - idols which can be collected as you play. There's certainly a lot to do. One of my new favourites for 3DS.

Kirby's Adventure Wii (Return to Dreamland in the USA) was a fun little old school platformer too. There's not a whole lot to say about it - it's classic old school kirby through and through. The powers come with a wide selection of moves just like in Kirby Superstar/Fun Pak, although the level structure is more like Kirby's Adventure on NES. The drop in/drop out multiplayer also works nicely for the most part, but during one of the sections where Kirby gets to use a giant, over the top superpower, the other 3 players can get fed up as they just have to follow along waiting for kirby to do all the work. On the other hand, Dedede, Metaknight and Waddle Dee make bosses a breeze as they often hit harder than kirby and never lose their powers. Overall it works well, but there could have been a few more balancing tweaks to make it fairer - bosses getting more health and the kirby superpowers not being compulsory for completion would've helped. The games music is pretty awesome, but the visuals are nice, but slightly boring, looking like a generic cartoony 2.5D game. The game also feels a little too short at about 6 to 7 hours. It's not unreasonable, but I just feel the game could've been a little longer considering the disc space on the wii and the fact that the 2.5D style means many assets can be reused easily. Overall, a solid game, in single player or otherwise.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by dsheinem »

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita
Ys 1 - PSP
Journey - PS3
X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Street Fighter X Tekken - PS3
Mass Effect 3 - 360
Mass Effect 3: From Ashes - 360
Mystic Warriors - Wrath of the Ninja - Arcade (MAME)
Dragon Blaze - Arcade (MAME)
Shadows of the Damned - 360
Arabian Nights (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita *new*
Driver: San Francisco 360 *new*

TOTAL: 28

I've decided I'll start listing video pinball games if/when I clear the table-specific goals and/or all the "Wizard Goals" or similar in games where that's an option (as it is in Pinball Arcade). Anyway, I have spent a LOT of time with Pinball Arcade so far, and this table is the first one that I've beaten all the goals for. Expect more, hopefully :)

Driver: SF was a very pleasant surprise - in fact it is probably my favorite driving/racing game so far this generation. The story is campy as hell but fits perfectly with the game mechanics, and the 8 chapters are very well paced with a nice assortment of challenges and difficulties, all at a decent length. A ton of fun, and anyone who enjoys some of the earlier Driver titles, the Burnout games, or more objective-based driving games in general should love this. A must try.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Castlevania (NES)

Aw yeah, I feel pretty proud to have finally gotten through this one. I played the greatest role in this story.
No I didn't do the second quest thing. Does anybody?
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (PC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)
2/25 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)
2/28 Bastion (PC)
3/3 Cave Story+ (PC)
3/5 Puzzle Agent 2 (PC)
3/5 Rochard (PC)
3/31 Journey (PS3)
4/6 Final Fantasy IV (PSP)

Games Beaten = 13
DLC = 6

4/24 Half-Minute Hero (PSP)

Wow what a great little title! Another PSP game played on my Vita that just looks outstanding. Half-Minute Hero is a game that likes to have fun with "boiling down" the elements of a certain genre and just runs with it, with over-the-top, silly humor. The main modes are Hero 30, Evil Lord 30, Princess 30, Knight 30, and lastly Hero 300. Hero 30 is a RPG-lite game where you have 30 seconds to defeat the Evil Lord of the area. Essentially you are running from town to town (towns allow you to pause time or reset the clock) and buying new gear and leveling up your guy enough to defeat the Evil Lord. Often you have to do one thing before something else will open up and it's mostly about time management. Evil Lord 30 is basically an RTS where the balance is 3-way, like Rock-Paper-Scissors. The humor gets turned up to 11 here and that makes this my favorite mode. Princess 30 is kind of like a twin-stick shooter paired with a shmup that is sometimes bottom to top and sometimes left to right. Knight 30 is like a protection game. You have to protect this sage guy while he casts a spell. This was the weakest mode for me. Finish it off with Hero 300 which gives you 5 minutes to save the world. Same as Hero 30, except there is no pausing time or resetting it.

You can play Hero 30, Evil Lord 30, and Princess 30 at the same time, but you have to beat all three to unlock Knight 30 and then have to beat Knight 30 to unlock Hero 300. This is due to how the story plays out. Anyway, really recommend this game for someone looking for a PSP/PS Vita game to spend some time with.

5/6 Mass Effect 2 (360)

So I thought I might be the only one that hadn't beat this game, but I saw someone post that they beat it on here a little while ago, so maybe not!

They changed a lot between Mass Effect and ME2 and I think it was largely for the better. Combat seems more fluid and easier. Mining for minerals is no longer a chore. The vehicle portions are something to look forward to, with the Hammerhead, rather than dread because of the Mako. The several main characters that you pick up are all great and I loved all of the loyalty missions that gave you some insight into their character. Most are back story and seeing how they react to certain situations. It's also nice because some of these characters I wouldn't have used otherwise unless I had done their loyalty mission.

It begins and ends with big production and interesting twists and turns. I love how much life is breathed into the players by the voice actors and the writing. Love this series and this was just a much better game than the first (and I really enjoyed that at the time.)

Mass Effect 2: Zaeed - The Price of Revenge

Additional character to use. Has a somewhat interesting loyalty mission tied to the Blue Suns mercenary group. I didn't find him to be a particularly interesting choice for taking him out on missions though. I'd rather have Garrus for his particular skill set.

Mass Effect 2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory

Additional character to use. Fun kind of heist movie atmosphere to the loyalty mission. Felt a little lacking in fullness but, I had fun with it. Also, didn't really use this character outside her loyalty mission. I'd rather use Tali or Miranda.

Mass Effect 2: Overlord

This DLC is great. Interesting side story that has a pretty different feel to it than most of the ME2 missions do. Main character of the story is voiced by Simon Templeman, whom I love, so I knew I was in for a treat. Definitely worth the $7.

Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker
This DLC is my favorite out of all the DLC that I played for ME2. Great adventure that teams you up with your old teammate Liara T'Soni. Another one where I felt it seemed very different than the normal feel of things. In one mission you're fighting on the outside of a spaceship as it flies through a lightning storm! Very exciting. This one costs a little more I think it was $10. If you only play one DLC for ME2 this should be it.

Mass Effect 2: Arrival
This is the weakest DLC, but still interesting in it's own right. It feels a lot like the final mission of the game and doesn't do much to innovate in the realm of making the missions feel unique. This DLC is referred to in the subsequent game ME3, but I don't know if that is because I played it or if it would be mentioned either way. If it would be mentioned either way, I think you should play it so you have more background info on it.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Cave Story for Wii Ware

An absolute masterpiece! Fantastic gaming experience that I thought had gone the way of cartridges and wired-controllers. It looked 8-bit, it played like a 2D Metroid game (gameplay that was very reminiscent of Super Metroid), and had a sometimes quirky story. If you like Metroidvania games, then you'll ABSOLUTELY ADORE this game. I can't recommend it enough. Download it and play it!
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
PAYBACK-SXE
8-bit

Post by PAYBACK-SXE »

Dark Souls....3 times...after spending over 100 hours on my first playthrough just stuck on the last boss....happy to have beaten it and gotten both endings and loving new game+ now too.

Also beat Portal 2 last weekend solo after beating the co-op forever ago.
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1. Skylanders (360)
2. Sine Mora (XBLA)
3. Afterburner Climax (XBLA)
4. Mass Effect 3 (360)
5. Uncharted 3 (PS3)
6. The Simpsons Arcade (XBLA)
7. Motorstorm RC (Vita)
8. ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)
9. Super Stardust Delta (Vita)
10. Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Vita)
11. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
12. Journey (PSN)
13. Twisted Metal (PS3)
14. Resistance 3 (PS3)
15. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360)
16. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
17. VVVVVV (3DS)
18. Saints Row: The Third (360)
19. Resident Evil 4 HD (XBLA)
20. Dear Esther (Steam)
21. Ys Seven (PSP)
22. Fez (XBLA)
23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)

For being a licensed movie game, I thought it was pretty fun. The combat was an equal mix of fluid melee and shield abilities (a lot like the recent Batman games), so I found myself looking forward to the times where I was surrounded by a wide variety of powerful enemies. Levels also had a way of circling back into each other, so by the end of my adventure I could backtrack to any area I wanted with ease. Worth a play if you can find it for cheap.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Trip World 3DS VC
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Asterix SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
Picross DS DS
Half Minute Hero PSP
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
StarTropics VC
Faselei! NGPC
Ninja Commando VC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut GC
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias WiiWare
Dead or Alive 3 XBox
Ys: The Vanished Omens SMS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife DS
Art Style: Rotohex WiiWare
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare
Lords of Thunder VC
Punch-Out!! Wii
Ufouria: The Saga VC
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 3DS VC
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS VC
Xenoblade Chronicles Wii
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces Wii
Wario Land 4 3DS VC
Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS
Kirby's Adventure Wii Wii
Battalion Wars 2 Wii *NEW*
Game Boy Camera Game Boy *NEW*
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Wii *NEW*
Total: 45

Battalion Wars 2 was a very disappointing game. I went in expecting a kind of stripped down strategy game, but frankly, i'm quite hard pressed to consider it that, as the 'strategy' component was so lacking. It essentially play like a 3rd person shooter where you could order your teammates to attack another enemy in sight. The control scheme was cumbersome, and there was no way to properly multitask. The characters in the game just felt unlikable, and the graphic style was ugly. The levels were linear, meaning gameplay literally considered of moving the right unit forward to take down each single opponent, then repeating. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this one.

Game Boy Camera is an odd game to mark complete, I'll admit, but I did unlock the credits, so it counts. To do so, I had to beat the shmup mini game (Space Fever 2) in order to unlock the Run Run Run minigame, and then register a good time on said game. I did this by accident as I was playing around with functions I hadn't noticed before, like replacing game characters heads with my own, and adding sounds to photos. The whole application features some very bizarre and surreal elements (WHO ARE YOU RUNNING FROM? - http://tinyurl.com/c3ugvk6) which lend it a very Warioware vibe, years before that game first appeared. Overall, a nice little oddity, even now in an era where it's laughably dated.

Sakura Wars was a game I absolutely loved. I went in under the understanding it was a strategy RPG with some dating sim/visual novel elements, but really, it's a visual novel/dating sim with some strategy game elements. This isn't actually an issue, as I enjoyed the visual novel elements more than the strategy battles, even though both were fun. The game was a nice length, at about 15 hours, and offers lots of replay value with 5 different endings. I already have an urge to play through again choosing different options again to see the results. The strategy game elements are handled in an interesting way, with no levelling or experience - rather, the better you get on with each of your party during that chapte rin the visual novel section, the more powerful they are in the final battle. It works quite well and ties the two gameplay styles together nicely. The battles do have some downsides with some ridiculously long attack animations though, and a very slow pace overall. One boss in particular has an attack animation which lasted 20 second, followed by a literally 20 second screen showing the attacking hitting your characters whilst your wii remote goes nuts with vibration. He used the attack a lot. The music of the game is enjoyable, and very catchy, especially the spectacularly japanese theme song. The visuals are very simple, but functional. Overall, the visual novel parts of the game is strong, the strategy game is decent, and the combination of two makes for a nice change of pace and alternation of the gameplay. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and for anyone wondering, I got Rosita's ending. :)

Next time: Red Steel 2, and the start my summer challenge games?
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

NihonRobot wrote:23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)

For being a licensed movie game, I thought it was pretty fun. The combat was an equal mix of fluid melee and shield abilities (a lot like the recent Batman games), so I found myself looking forward to the times where I was surrounded by a wide variety of powerful enemies. Levels also had a way of circling back into each other, so by the end of my adventure I could backtrack to any area I wanted with ease. Worth a play if you can find it for cheap.

Sounds good. I'll check it out. I'm a huge comic geek, but I've been holding off on this one because of the slew of bad licensed game this generation.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

BurningDoom wrote:
NihonRobot wrote:23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)

Sounds good. I'll check it out. I'm a huge comic geek, but I've been holding off on this one because of the slew of bad licensed game this generation.

It's definitely above average for a licensed game, but don't spend too much money on it. Rent it or pick it up cheap, it's a fun game to play when you've got nothing else on your plate.