Games Beaten 2012

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Opa Opa

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by Opa Opa »

Time to keep track. My goal is to beat at least forty games this year.

January

1- From Dust - PSN

A fun game. You save villagers and alter the environment to solve puzzles. Some of the challenges in the Challenge Mode were very difficult. I was stumped on a couple levels for a while. One of the challenges that I couldn't figure out I beat by total accident.

2- Resident Evil Director's Cut - PS1

"I hope this isn't Chris's blood!"
Classic.

3- Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace - PS1

A difficult game for all the wrong reasons. Terrible control, absolutely abysmal camera angles, and buggy gameplay make for a very disappointing game.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

3- Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace - PS1

A difficult game for all the wrong reasons. Terrible control, absolutely abysmal camera angles, and buggy gameplay make for a very disappointing game.

I have the game and the guide for the PS1, utterly terrible game. Spend half the game looking at walls not being able to see your characters, more of a let down than the movie.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

J T wrote:Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23)
Not a good game.

Worth the $5 though?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Stark wrote:
J T wrote:Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23)
Not a good game.

Worth the $5 though?

I guess, but only because it's short. For me, it's more about a game being worth the time than the money.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

J T wrote:
boobie wrote:Super crate box (PC) 9/10 "new"

This game can be beaten? I thought it was just one of those old-school style arcade games that never ends.

I personally considered it beat when I unlocked everything.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)

Yay, second game beaten in the same amount of days, I'm sure my streak is over for a while.

Wow, so, I really, really enjoyed this game. I like to play all sneaky-sneaky, so this really hit an awesome Thief vibe with me. I loved the way stealth worked with the LT for cover and look out and then shoulder roll to the next cover. I wouldn't mind playing again as a kill everything type of dude too.

Secondly, I really enjoyed the story and the way it was presented. Totally like a William Gibson book come to life. It felt a little like Metal Gear without the overly dramatic speeches or silliness or long drawn out conversations. Engaging from the beginning with it's opening hook, I found myself reading everything I could get my hands on to learn more about the world.

On to the issues I had:
Graphical Detail - I've come to expect (maybe without realizing it until this game) a certain level of animation and model work to go into characters that speak. Not everything needs to be to the level of Uncharted or Enslaved, but can you at least do a little mo-cap? The canned animations in this are annoying after a while and the lip-synching is bad. And most of models outside of Adam and Meghan and Sarif don't look like next-gen models. It just feels a little behind in this area.

Boss Fights - I played this game as a stealthy, pacifist, or at least I tried to. The boss fights were apparently out-sourced to another development team and it shows. There is an expectation that I had about this game, due to the first Deus Ex game by Warren Specter; he was very clear that you could choose to play the game however you wanted, guns-blazin' or in-the-shadows hacker. I was really disappointed that only the final battle allowed you to use your acquired stealth skills to beat the boss.

Even with the above issues overall this game is one of the best from last year and I'm happy I played it and beat it! On to the "Missing Link" DLC and then some new adventure! 4/5
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Yeah, the graphics in Deus Ex: HR are strangely behind the times, but I guess that was the case with the original Deus Ex as well. Still, it's feels weird nowadays to walk up to read a poster on the wall only to realize that it just gets blurrier and blockier the closer you get and stays unreadable. The game has some really beautiful backgrounds and designs, but some of the characters are animated worse than an animatronic robot on speed and it is distracting.

Still, the game is amazing. I'm beginning to play the Missing Link dlc as well. So far it seems really good, and is surprisingly challenging.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

J T wrote:Yeah, the graphics in Deus Ex: HR are strangely behind the times, but I guess that was the case with the original Deus Ex as well. Still, it's feels weird nowadays to walk up to read a poster on the wall only to realize that it just gets blurrier and blockier the closer you get and stays unreadable. The game has some really beautiful backgrounds and designs, but some of the characters are animated worse than an animatronic robot on speed and it is distracting.

Arms bent at the elbows, palms face-down, flapping.

J T wrote:Still, the game is amazing. I'm beginning to play the Missing Link dlc as well. So far it seems really good, and is surprisingly challenging.

Played through the intro and started to play a few minutes, but then realized it was 1am! I like how the reason they chose for why you start with zero augs.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Sonic CD (PSN)
2. Golden Axe Warrior (PS3)
3. Ico (PS3)
4. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
5. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

I've actually been playing 3D Dot Game on-and-off for the past 6 months, beating a dungeon or two at a time. When all was said and finished, I had clocked 19 hours. That may not seem like much to some of you RPG enthusiasts, but for me it's a testament to how much I loved this one. I've said it many times while playing, but I consider 3D Dot Game to be my favorite Zelda game since Wind Waker. And perhaps I think it's even better. In many ways it's the closest I've ever felt to replaying Link to the Past, which I still consider my favorite game of all time. As such, I can consider this to be one of my absolute favorite PS3 games yet. Its homage is excellent, and it's the sort of game I can see myself playing through again (probably on the hard mode and using a guide to try to explore all the stuff I missed). I should also say that the achievement felt great as I'm far from a completionist. This means that side-quests were mostly skipped by me, so I was often under-powered. In fact, when I got to the last boss he creamed me. But then I realized I had maxed out my gold at 9999 long ago. I went back to the nearest town and maxed out my sword and grabbed a spare life potion. That was all I needed to just stroll right through to the end credits. Anyway, I'm rambling. But this game is great and I suggest it to every PS3 owner, especially those like us who grew up on on retro games.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

snatcher - sega cd

first game beaten of the year. even though it kind of lost its AWESOME-factor after beaten it for the second time - first time was back in the summer - it still is an amazing game.
if you took a shit, please put it back