Games Beaten 2012

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by Ack »

Yeah, it's odd to me to purchase them and then not include them in my collection, but I do not feel right entering them into something like RFGeneration because I don't physically possess them.

And I expect that this trend will continue for both modern and retro games. Sure, I own hard copies of games that are in GOG, but that doesn't mean I won't also pick them up there so I can access them wherever I have an internet connection. In fact, that is likely the only way I'll ever sit down with my copy of 7th Guest.
garrett123
64-bit

Post by garrett123 »

Since My last post, I still havent beaten anything the only games ive beaten are

these are the only games ive ever beaten(may be a few more easy ones im forgetting)

1. sonic advance
2. twighlight princess
3. bubble bobble
4. New super mario bros
5. Rocket slime
6. advance wars duel strike
7. legend of zelda: a link to the past
8. kirby gameboy/nes
9. the last story
10. avatar wii
11. contra ds

made it to the last levels in mario 64, and sonic 2
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

dsheinem wrote:
Ack wrote:
Nearly half of the games I beat I picked up through digital distribution. All were PC games, so I only own a hard copy of 1 PC game I beat this year, The Ball. And that one game links to my Steam account, so I still have to have access to it to play the game. I'm not sure why, but something about that trend disturbs me.

I know what you mean. Of the games I beat, 46 were things I have no hard copy of. Of those, 9 were iOS games which have no physical media anyway. Of the remaining 37 console/PC/handheld digital games, almost half of them cannot be purchased in a physical format at all, for any platform. I don't think I'll ever lack some way to play them in the future, but it is weird to think that I can never own them in physical form in any way.

Of the 25 games I beat this year, only one (Mirror's Edge) is a hard copy title. Every game I beat was played on PC. I've come to fully embrace the digital medium, but the degree to which I care about those digital games being DRM-free greatly increased in 2012. I've largely moved away from Steam. To get DRM-free games I've branched out into using sites like Indievania, Desura, DotEmu and GamersGate. Of course, GOG has always been my #1 choice, but now I'm even willing to wait months for a game to eventually reach GOG, even forgoing super cheap Steam sales, and I'm willing to pay a higher price for to have it on GOG instead of Steam or some other service.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I've purchased a number of digital download games myself this year. Many from GOG, Steam, and some from PSN and Xbox Live Arcade. Convenience is a big factor. As an owner of a new PC, I wanted to play some games on it ASAP and Steam and GOG just let me download and play immediately. Pricing factors in too, given the INSANE sales on both GOG and Steam this season.

Another factor is my growing interest in indie style games, many of which are only available in digital format. To the Moon is one of the best games I've played this year, and it's digital only. I also downloaded Lone Survivor, and a couple Humble Indie Bundle games this month. Mark of the Ninja, Tokyo Jungle, and Dust: An Elysian Tale are also very indie feeling games that I purchased digitally

I'm with JT on supporting DRM free gaming. Even as a console gamer I've rallied against companies exerting too much control, like the large number of PS3 games that don't even give you the right to back up your own save data. So I love GOG and have purchased a number of games from there, yet I find the allure of exclusive games on Steam, as well as their big sales too hard to resist. So I have a bunch of games on Steam, just because I can't resist playing them now, versus waiting who knows how long for them to show up on GOG. Any time I have choice between Steam and GOG though, I always go with GOG, and I'll happily repurchase some of those Steam games if I see them pop up on GOG at some point since I would much rather own my games than just have a restricted license to use them

Gamefly has been another reason I haven't purchased many physical copy games this year. Many console games I've simple rented through them and then returned them whenever I finished them. I did purchase a few hard copy titles this year though, but I think they've mostly been games I bought before I got my Gamefly account, or just games I rented from them and decided to keep. Among the few games I bought on physical media this year was Xenoblade, which was apparently a good thing. It seems to have gone out of print and prices on available copies on amazon.com are over 100 dollars now. It's still worth it sometimes to go out and buy those obscure little Japanese games when they are released here. I also bought a physical copy of Journey, but that was a special situation, given that Journey wasn't the sort of game you expected to get a physical release. It just seemed like something worth owning

I still want to buy and collect physical games, but it's sort of inconvenient and impractical for me right now. I'm not living in a big house, and have a large enough collection of games as it is, and digital games can be acquired so cheaply without making you wait for shipping times or even making you leave the house to go to a store. You can't beat the convenience, in fact just recently I've become annoyed that I can't get the No One Lives Forever games digitally anywhere and am left with no other option than to buy physical copies online and wait for them to be shipped to me if I want to play them.

EDIT: I meant Xenoblade, not Xenosaga. I HATE when I do that. Anyway, fixed it.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Flake

Post by Flake »

1/2 Cannon Spike (DC)
1/9 Mega Man X4 (GCN)
1/17 Psycho Soldier (PSN)
1/22 Warhammer 40,000: Dark Crusade (PC)
1/28 Police 911 2 (Arcade)
2/7 Soul Calibur V (PS3)
2/26 Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition (PS3)
3/7 Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
4/14 Sonic CD (PSN)
5/3 Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 3 (Wii)
6/3 Metroid Prime (Wii)
7/1 Metroid: Other M (Wii)
7/1 Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)
7/7 Strikers: 1945 (Arcade)
7/25 Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
8/23 Megaman III (Gameboy)
8/24 Megaman IV (Gameboy)
9/3 Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Gameboy)
9/4 Kirby's Dreamland (Gameboy)
9/6 Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Gameboy)
10/14 NiGHTS into Dreams HD (PSN)
11/24 Fable II (Xbox360)
12/31 New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)

I really liked New Super Mario Bros U. It's probably the first Mario Bros game I have enjoyed since Mario World. I think I actually like it more than Mario Bros 3 and almost as much as Super Mario Land 2 (my all time favorite). This is the game that I expected Mario Bros Wii to be.

...and that's it for 2012. That's 23 games cleared this year compared to nearly 100 last year. My life has changed a lot in the last year and with it so has my emphasis on gaming. More and more, I stick to the classics I grew up with or sequels based on beloved IPs. More than that, only about 20% of the games that I played this year were games that were new to me. The vast majority were titles that I have cleared over and over again, my love for them undiminished.

Final summary: None, really. I think 2013 will be more of the same as I get older and busier. And you know what? I'm okay with that.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I'm really close to beating Company of Heroes but I don't think that's gonna happen tonight, so I'm just going to go ahead and call it for the year.

Dear Esther
Deus Ex Human Revolution + Missing link
Jamestown
Shank
Sonic Generations
Thunderforce III
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Doom (GBA version)
Batman Arkham Asylum
Wolfenstein 3D
Gran Turismo 5
Batman Arkham City
Project Gotham Racing 3
Borderlands
Jet Set Radio HD
Hell Yeah!
Hotline Miami
Saints Row: The Third
New Super Mario Bros. U
Dishonored
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 WiiU edition

So 21 games, and maybe one or two I missed and can't remember. Better than 2011 sure, but I plan to do a lot more single player stuff in 2013.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I forgot to mention it in this thread before, but I finished Thirty Flights of Loving. That was before I finished Sam & Max Save the World Episode 2 and To the Moon. So To the Moon is still my last game of 2012.

Thirty Flights of Loving is over in the blink of an eye. It felt even shorter than Gravity Bone, probably because so little of it is interactive. It feels almost like a bunch of cut scenes strewn together. I like Gravity Bone better because it had more interactivity to it. You didn't feel like every time you moved somewhere you were triggering the next thing for you to watch. Thirty Flights of Loving is a fun ride though, and the primitive, block head character designs are still charming.

So if we break things down:

Total beaten: 35
Total Systems: 5 (if we count PC)
Current Gen: 35
Retro/Mame: 0, unless you count releases like The Simpson Arcade and Ratchet and Clank Collection
Physical:13
Digital:22 (Wow :shock: )

Platforms

PS3 - 8
3DS - 7
360 - 10
Wii - 1 ( :lol: Why did I ever buy this damn thing?)
PC - 9 (6 from gog, 1 from Steam, and 2 from developer websites)

Genre

Puzzle - 3
Platformer - 10
Beat 'em up - 4
Stealth - 1 (2 if you count Hotline Miami)
Point and Click Adventure - 4
RPG - 5
Tower Defense - 1
Open world, GTA - 1
Third Person Shooter - 1
2d shooter - 1 (Hotline Miami?)
Can't define - Gravity Bone, Dear Esther, Thirty Flights of Loving

3d vs 2d

3d:

2D:

I'm sure my numbers are off, especially given the weird way I put my Games Beaten list together (like listing The Darkness II twice for each of its campaign modes)

Best:

Sonic Generations
MvD: Minis March Again
DodoGo!
Journey
Mark of the Ninja
To the Moon
Lollipop Chainsaw
Mass Effect 2
Sleeping Dogs
The Simpsons Arcade
Sam & Max Save the World Episode 1
Gravity Bone
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
Soul of Darkness
Hotline Miami

Worst or most dissapointing

Mass Effect 3
Xenoblade
Fez
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1
Code of Princess
Super Mario 3D Land
Starship Defense
Mutant Mudds
Trine

Good games, but not the best I've played this year
Double Dragon Neon
Sam & Max Save the World Episode 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
The Darkness II
Cthulu Saves the World
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
Dear Esther
Thirty Flights of Loving

Game that dissappointed me as a sequel, but was still good on its own merits
The Darkness II
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
cptfishstick
8-bit

I made good on my New Years Resolution (Games Beaten in 2012

Post by cptfishstick »

I made good on my New Years Resolution (Games Beaten in 2012)
Like many of you, I often made new years resolutions that were nearly impossible to keep. Last year, on January 1st 2012, In an attempt to remedy this problem, I made a resolution I actually could keep. When looking at my steam list and game shelves, it became apparent to me that I had too many games. Worse still, most of these games I hadn't even beaten. Most of them I had only played for a few hours and abandoned to play a newly aquired game. What was the point of spending hard earned cash on experiences If i wasnt even taking the time to experience them? In an effort to defend one of my most obsessive hobbies, I vowed to beat 1 game a month during the year. For many of you, this may not seem like much. For me, free time is hard to come by. This is due to a full time 40+ hour a week job, a serious relationship, a rental house that requires regular yard work and maintanence, as well as an obsession with drinking. Don't get me wrong, I am greatfull for all these things, but getting time to beat a game is hard.
Despite my fears of accomplishing my goal, I had beat 12 games by June. In an attempt to further my humorous ambition, I decided to double my goal to 24 games by the end of the year. This also allowed me some time to beat some games for a second time that I hadn't played in ages, but had newly aquired. So now its the first of 2013, and how did I do? I had beat 23 games before the new year, one shy. But by this very afternoon I finished my attempted 24th game, just 14 hours late. Despite this small shortcoming, I am pleased that I accomplished my original goal as well as coming so close to my new one. I decided to compile a small discussion about the games I played this year, and for the sake of argument included the 24th game. Also, I did not consider DLC or expansion packs as seperate games.
Here is a list of the games I beat this year, in order of completion:
Metro 2033 (PC)
Batman Arkham Asylum (PC)
Captain America (360)
Serious Sam: The First Encounter HD (PC)
Punisher (Xbox)
Unreal Tournament (1999) (PC)
Unreal (1998) (PC)
Gears Of War 3 (360)
Rune (PC)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (PC)
Spider-Man Web of Shadows (PC)
Medal of Honor (PS1)
Syphon Filter (PS1)
Syphon Filter 2 PS1)
Bulletstorm (PC)
Halo Reach (360)
Halo Anniversary (360)
Halo 4 (360)
Medal of Honor Allied Assault (2nd Time), Spearhead Exp (2nd Time) Breakthrough Exp (PC)
Max Payne (2nd Time) (PC)
Alan Wake +DLC (PC)
Doom 3 BFG Edition: Doom 3 (3rd Time), Resurrection of Evil Exp (2nd Time), Lost Mission (PC)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn)
Immortals of Terra (PC)

All of these games, except for Doom 3 and Halo were played on the hardest difficulty setting. The Halo games were beat on Heroic (Legendary is too frustrating) and Doom 3 was beat the one before hardest, since Nightmare difficulty is only unlocked after completing the game.

Only Medal of Honor Allied assault and Doom 3 were games I had beaten before, but had newly aquired. This was the first time I had beaten all of the Expansions of MoHAA. The Doom 3 was the new BFG edition, so the game was slightly different, and included additonal DLC. Either way, there were new experiences had. Following are some of my thoughts on the games, some stats, and all that stuff. Of course this only will appeal to people with the same obsession as me, but it gives me a chance to reflect on something that mattered to me.

One of the things I noticed about myself after playing all of these games, was that most of them (50%) Were FPS's. I knew I loved the FPS genre, but didn't realize how biased my game choices were/are.

STATS

Since there are 24 games, each game accounts for roughly 4% of my Game Year. That said,
Here Are Some Stats:

FPS: 50%
Shooter (FPS + 3rd Person): 79%
Hack & Slash/ Beat em Up: 16%
Action: 92%
Adventure: 8%
Horror Themes: 12%
PC: 58%
Console: 42%
2005 or Newer: 58%
pre 2005: 42%
Comic Themed: 16%
Sequels Themselves: 33%
Have Sequels: 58%

Top 3 Games of My Year:
1. Alan Wake
2. Metro 2033
3. Batman Arkham Asylum

Worst 3 Games of My Year:
1. Punisher
2. Spider-man Web of Shadows
3. Immortals of Terra

Biggest Surprises:
Alan Wake: Although I had heard good things about this game from the reviewers online, I didn't know much about it. When it launched on steam, a friend bought it for me as a birthday gift. I might not have bought it otherwise, which would have been a catastrophic shame. This game has one of the most interesting and engrossing stories I have ever seen. The voice acting is top notch, the controlls are spot on, and the world is enveloping. This is the game everyone should be playing, and they should do it in the dark, with a friend.
Captain America: Comic themed games are a risky purchase, and movie tie-ins are even riskier. That is why it is so surprising that this game is awesome. It plays similar to Arkham Asylum, but is a little less deep, and less polished. Its not a phenominal game, by any stretch, but It is truley worth the time.

Biggest Dissapointments:
Punisher: I wanted to like this game so much. I love the character, and I love the premise. The voice acting was great, and the story was decent. Heck, even for its time the graphics were just fine. What wasn't fine was the actual gameplay. The controlls were difficult, and the action scenes were not any fun. This is a game that should have played like max payne, but ended up feeling clunky. The interegations were a neat idea, but they weren't easy or fun to control, and the fact that you lost points by killing them after seemed counter intuitive (he is the PUNISHER after all). This game should have been better.
Immortals of Terra: Not only is it a game no one has heard of, but it is the only Point and Click adventure on the list. Maybee I should be a little kinder to it. This game looks fantastic, in fact, it might be one of the best looking games I have played in a while. Most of the voice acting is great, with only a few stinkers (and they were baaaaaad). I am also a vetran fan of classic adventures like Kings Quest and 7th Guest, So I know its not a bias either. The problem with this game is that the story is way too complex. This is a game that obviously rewards fans of the Perry Rhodan Universe, which barely exists in the USA (I hadn't heard of it till I picked up this game). With a plethora of new terms, complex histories, and characters who aren't developed, I can imagine this would be like playing a Star Trek or Star Wars game without ever hearing of them before. On top of that, I got stuck in this game a lot. Its one of the rare times in a game I needed to use a guide, just to make progress. It turned into a long game of find and seek with the mouse pointer just to figure out what to do. It wasn't very intuitive, and the story wasn't a great.

Aged Best:
Unreal Tournament 1999: The deathmatch/ctf dynamic hasn't changed much in the last 15 years for good reason. UT 1999 and Quake 3 still stand as almost perfect examples of pure deathmatch excelence. UT stands the test of time, even in the single player bot levels that I had to beat. It is simultaneously addictive and nostalgic, and still has a huge number of players online.

Aged Worst:
Medal of Honor Allied Assault: This was one of my favorite games back in highschool. I rode the WWII-game train till the end, and loved every minute of it. This WAS saving private ryan the movie. Despite this, this game did not age well. Many of the dynamics this game introduced as revolutionary, have evolved and become more effective/smooth/enjoyable in the decade that followed. The enemy and squad AI is awful, the Hit detection is off, the infinite enemy respawn is frustrating, and the difficulty is rediculous. I found myself more frustrated then entertained while replaying this game.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Final 2012

1. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Renpou vs. Zeon DX - (DC)
2. Napple Tale: Arsia in Daydream - (DC)
3. Bakumatsu Roman Dai ni Maku - (DC)
4. Marvel vs Capcom - (DC)
5. Zero Gunner 2 - (DC)

6. Christmas Nights - (Saturn)
7. Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG - (Saturn)
8. Vampire Savior - (Saturn)
9. Guardian Heroes - (Saturn)
10. DonPachi - (Saturn)
11. Puzzle Bobble (Bust-a-Move) 3 - (Saturn)
12. Marvel Super Heroes - (Saturn)
13. X-Men vs Street Fighter - (Saturn)
14. Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter - (Saturn)
15. World Heroes Perfect - (Saturn)

16. Monster World IV - (Mega Drive)
17. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - (GEN)
18. Wonder Boy in Monster World - (GEN)

19. Panzer Dragoon Mini - (GG)

20. Cogs - (Mac)

21. Sonic Generations - (PS3)
22 & 23. Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection - (PS3)
24. Sonic Unleashed - (PS3)
25. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - (PS3)
26. Child of Eden - (PS3)
27. Portal 2 - (PS3)
28. Portal - (PS3)
29. Rocket Knight - (PSN)
30. Soldner X 2 : Final Prototype - (PSN)
31. Outrun Online Arcade - (PSN)
32. Gunstar Heroes - (PSN)
33. Final Fight - (PSN)
34. Magic Sword - (PSN)
35. Golden Axe - (PSN)
36. Journey - (PSN)

37. Akumajou Dracula X Chronicle - (PSP)
38. Akumajou Dracula X : Chi no Rondo - (PSP)
39. Akumajou Dracula X : Gekka no Yasoukyoku - (PSP)
40. Gradius - (PSP)
41. Xexex - (PSP)
42. Darius Burst - (PSP)

43. The King of Dragons - (PS2) (Capcom Classics Collection)

44. Castlevania - (NES)

45. Akumajou Dracula - Ubawareta Kokuin - (DS)
46. Ghost Trick - (DS)
47. New Super Mario Bros - (DS)
48. Space Puzzle Bobble - (DS)

49. Keito no Kirby - (Wii)
50. Super Mario Galaxy - (Wii)

51 & 52. Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets - (Xbox 360)
53. Mushihimesama Futari - (Xbox 360)
54. EspGaluda II Black Label - (Xbox 360)
55. Sonic CD - (XBLA)

Squeezed Wonder Boy in Monster World in under the whistle yesterday. Both of the Genesis Monster World games are excellent, and I find it hard to even pick a favorite between the two. I think I enjoy the maturity of the game design in Monster World IV a bit more, but Monster World III is really classically excellent, if only a little bit slower and more clunky in mechanics than the former.

Some Stats:

Total - 55 (Four accounted for from completed collection releases)

Retro - 30(-ish)
Current - 25

Console breakdown

Dreamcast - 5
Saturn - 10
Genesis / Mega Drive - 3
Game Gear - 1

OS X - 1

Playstation 3 / PSN - 16
Playstation Portable - 6
Playstation 2 - 1

NES - 1
DS - 4
Wii - 2

Xbox 360 / XBLA - 5

Genres

Platformers (Action / Adventure) - 20
Shooters (2D & rail) - 12
Fighters - 8
B'mups - 6
Puzzle - 6
Racing - 2
RPG - 1

I'm actually surprised, in retrospect, to see how many great games I actually played this year. Even more surprising might be that I could potentially add more than five games to my favorites of all time just out of the list of games I finished this year.

The Best

Monster World IV
Monster World III
Axel Panzer Dragoon RPG
Chi no Rondo
Portal 2
Xexex
Gradius
Journey

Honerables

Napple Tale (dat soundtrack)
Keito no Kirby
Mushihimesama Futari
DonPachi
Sonic Generations
Child of Eden
Outrun Online Arcade

Some achievements from the year:

Gradius 1cc
Gunstar Heroes 1cc
Ico HD Platinum Trophy

All in all, a pretty good year for gaming for me. This year I'm hoping to get deeper into my DC and Saturn collection. I guess we'll see how that works out.
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1-25:
1. Skylanders (360)
2. Sine Mora (XBLA)
3. Afterburner Climax (XBLA)
4. Mass Effect 3 (360)
5. Uncharted 3 (PS3)
6. The Simpsons Arcade (XBLA)
7. Motorstorm RC (Vita)
8. ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)
9. Super Stardust Delta (Vita)
10. Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Vita)
11. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
12. Journey (PSN)
13. Twisted Metal (PS3)
14. Resistance 3 (PS3)
15. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360)
16. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
17. VVVVVV (3DS)
18. Saints Row: The Third (360)
19. Resident Evil 4 HD (XBLA)
20. Dear Esther (Steam)
21. Ys Seven (PSP)
22. Fez (XBLA)
23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)
24. Max Payne 3 (360)
25. Lollipop Chainsaw (360)

26-50:
26. The Darkness II (360)
27. Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage (XBLA)
28. Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (XBLA)
29. Need For Speed The Run (360)
30. Gravity Rush (PS Vita)
31. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS)
32. Alan Wake (360)
33. Incredible Crisis! (PS1)
34. Espgaluda 2 (360)
35. Akai Katana (360)
36. Sound Shapes (Vita)
37. Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
38. Darksiders 2 (360)
39. Botanicula (PC)
40. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360)
41. Battlefield 3 (360)
42. Asura's Wrath (360)
43. Skyrim: Dawnguard (360)
44. Skyrim: Hearthfire (360)
45. Resident Evil 5 (360)
46. Sleeping Dogs (360)
47. Syndicate (360)
48. Resident Evil 6 (360)
49. Unfinished Swan (PSN)
50. Papo & Yo (PSN)

51. Eternal Darkness (GC)
52. Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2012 (360)
53. Hotline Miami (Steam)
54. New Little King's Story (Vita)
55. Assassin's Creed 3 (360)
56. Frog Fractions (Flash)
57. Skrillex Quest (Flash)
58. Forza Horizon (360)
59. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (360)
60. Far Cry 3 (360)
61. Adventure Time (3DS)

And the final game I completed this year was unfortunately Adventure Time. I got hooked on the new Battlefield 3 expansion, and I started Dragon's Dogma over my Christmas break, but there was no way I was finishing that by the end of the year.

Adventure Time was boring, repetitive and pointless. The writing did make me chuckle here and there, but it did not do the cartoon series justice. The only reason I actually finished it was because it took a grand total of about 2 hours to completely finish. Avoid it.