Is There a point on playing inferior prequels?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Is There a point on playing inferior prequels?

Post by dunpeal2064 »

For me, it depends on the genre. For a fighting game, I try to go with the most up-to-date in the series.

For something like mega man, I would rather play through them in the order that they came out, to see what differences there are, and to experience what updates they added to each entry.

People might also do this for fighters if they really like them. Me, I'm still trying to get into them. But something like a shmup, I'd play them all, not just the current one.
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

Fighting games are such a grey area, though...would you REALLY choose KoF XII over 98 or 2001? My favourite KoF might just be 2003, just for the fact that Gato is in it, and I still go back to older versions frequently.

Pulsar_t wrote:Prequel is not the word you're looking for here, OP.

Whatever, most of us knew what he was talking about. The fellow that didn't would have if he'd read the thread before posting. Hell, if he'd read even the first post.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

If you're playing it after the release of the updated one just play the updated one! There is no point if the story line if the same in that case i can be worth it.
But in game like Castlevania 64 and Castlevania legacy of darkness just go for legacy, it has more playable character's, better camera, better graphics and the story (for reindhardt and carrie) are the same!

To make it short, if the story line dosen't change (if you do care about that) don't go for it.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

AppleQueso wrote:That's not what we mean by this topic at all. Basically it's asking if there's any point in playing Street Fighter II after playing Street Fighter II Turbo.

Depends on the game. Skip SFII and go straight to SFII Turbo. Skip MKI and go straight to MKII and UMKIII. Skip Final Fantasy VII and VIII and go straight to IX. Stuff like that, right?
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

An example I can think of is considering picking up the first Ass Creed, but then I change my mind because it's not up to the standard set by the sequel. Other times I want more of the same gameplay, especially if previous titles can be had on the cheap.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
insanecow0
32-bit

Post by insanecow0 »

I'd say yes with story driven games, but otherwise I probably wouldn't. I like playing previous games in the series to collect them all, and besides that they are worthwhile to play considering that previous installations in a series can be better than the sequels.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

This is really subjective. Not everyone would agree that, say, Ninja Gaiden II is superior to Ninja Gaiden, or that SMB 2 is superior to SMB.

I usually play games with multiple sequels in order, just to get "the feel" of the franchise. I still haven't opened my copy of Devil May Cry 4 because I really want to know the story, and feel that some key plot points would be spoiled by not playing the previous installments. In short, I guess it depends if the game series has an intriguing story line or not.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Luke wrote:This is really subjective. Not everyone would agree that, say, Ninja Gaiden II is superior to Ninja Gaiden, or that SMB 2 is superior to SMB.

I usually play games with multiple sequels in order, just to get "the feel" of the franchise. I still haven't opened my copy of Devil May Cry 4 because I really want to know the story, and feel that some key plot points would be spoiled by not playing the previous installments. In short, I guess it depends if the game series has an intriguing story line or not.

Precisely. Everyone told me how much better Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei was than the original, but having played through both, the original was more enjoyable to me.
3DSStrider
64-bit

Post by 3DSStrider »

If the first game is good, than I will play it first. The way I see it, playing a superior sequel before the last game ruins it. The gameplay improvements of the sequel make the first game feel incomplete to me.
Insert clever quote here.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DSStrider
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNEFO ... qkaLOHc2nQ
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Luke wrote:This is really subjective. Not everyone would agree that, say, Ninja Gaiden II is superior to Ninja Gaiden, or that SMB 2 is superior to SMB.

I think he means if is worth playing a older version of a updated game: for example; is worth it to play Fifa 10 when the new Fifa 11 is out now? Or Street fighter II and ST II turbo like someone abode said; or the original super mario bros vs the snes version on super mario allstars. Sports games are the most popular to do this; Pro Evolution Soccer; Fifa; Madden etc, every year a "new" game came out with a new t-shirt available.

Devil may cry is a series of games with a storyline each, none of them is a uptaded version of the older one... as far i know.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.