Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Luke
Next-Gen

Playing Games on a 6' tall 10' wide screen

by Luke Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:35 am

I've always wanted my own arcade and movie room, and I've been taking some pretty big strides to make that happen. This includes my purchase of a digital projector, which I bought a few weeks ago.

I've been watching a lot of old Summer blockbusters on the ridiculously large screen, but have played very few games on it. The first game I did play was Shadow of the Colossus. I probably shouldn't have, as most games pale in comparison on a large screen. Sure, the graphics aren't perfect, but neither is the script for Jurassic Park but it still looks so cool on a huge screen.

Now it's not like I have an IMAX theater in my house, but the screen is fairly large and would love to hear what you guys think would be "must play games" in a home theater (Ballz 3-D excluded).

So, if given the opportunity to play a game on a large screen, what would you play?
AppleQueso

Re: Playing Games on a 6' tall 10' wide screen

by AppleQueso Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:42 am

Star Fox 64?

Just the first thing that came to mind
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:04 am

in college a bunch of us played Super Monkey Ball on an actual movie screen. It was amazing. (The first time I had played Monkey Ball).

BUT I don't think you could pick a better game than SotC for this.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 am

In High School after the state finals for Scholastic Bowl we had a party at a teammate's house and played Super Smash Bros on a huge projection TV. It was epic!
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:33 am

AppleQueso wrote:Star Fox 64?

Just the first thing that came to mind

I was actually thinking of playing StarFox or StarFox 64 this morning.

I'm looking over my collection, and I think Noise is right. SOTC is a tall order to follow. I played Ultimate Alliance 2 last night, and the sprites being larger did absolutely nothing for the game. SOTC on the other hand... holy shit. The music looping over and over is a bit annoying, but that is one small complaint to a game that is otherwise brilliant. I have surround sound set up, so the sound the subwoofer makes when a Colossi steps shakes the floor. I've always thought that SOTC is the one game that qualifies as actually being "epic", but I swear, playing it on a big screen is like mainlining pure awesomeness.

Soul Calibur also looks amazing. The detail that the Dreamcast had for the graphics is almost over the top. Seeing the characters actually blink during fights was, pardon the pun, eye opening.

Might play a little snes games and see how they look. Flashback might be a good one to try out.
neilencio
64-bit

by neilencio Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:06 pm

How about Monster Hunter?
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Gran Turismo 5
Shadows of the Damned
Super Nintendo games
God Of War games
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Aside from the' cut scenes, God of War has little to add by being played on a large screen.

To break it down to brass tacks, most games aren't enhanced by being bigger. It's just that; larger sprites. But games with enormous landscapes, and more attention to detail really add something to the game...

Maybe I'll try Space Harrier..
wootcube
32-bit

by wootcube Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 pm

I would want to at least try a Gameboy game through a super game boy, even thought that probably wouldn't be very enjoyable, just to see the pixels really huge.
wootcube
32-bit

by wootcube Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Luke wrote:Aside from the' cut scenes, God of War has little to add by being played on a large screen.

To break it down to brass tacks, most games aren't enhanced by being bigger. It's just that; larger sprites. But games with enormous landscapes, and more attention to detail really add something to the game...

Maybe I'll try Space Harrier..

The hydra section might be kind of cool, but other then that I agree. Since the camera is looking down on most of that boss battles in God of War you wouldn't get the sense of scale as you would in Shadow of the Colossus where the camera is looking up at the boss.
Return to General Gaming