Nominate the Best of the Remaining Arcades!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Re: Nominate the Best of the Remaining Arcades!

Post by Nintendork666 »

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum in Farmington Hills, MI can't be missed!

I've never seen so many eerie old animatronic machines in my life.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

dlmvii wrote:Galloping Ghost - Brookfield IL

It's $15 to get in the door (all day), and all of the machines are set free to play. The atmosphere and staff are really relaxed, and there is a huge selection of games (the only thing missing is any japanese style shmup (aka bullet hell), which is my favorite arcade genre).

edit - i stand corrected. They recently acquired Ikaruga. :)

Second this.

I really oughta check out Star Worlds in DeKalb. It's a bit closer to me than Galloping Ghost.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
gradualmeltdown
128-bit

Post by gradualmeltdown »

Tokyo Japan : Shibuya Kaikan

5 floors jam packed with everything priced at 50yen. Simply the best arcade value in the world for variety and quality. A hardcore gamers paradise for leveling up cheap. They have so many machines it makes you dizzy. Not nearly as many machines as Funspot but obviously a very different selection of games.

Tokyo Japan : Taito Hey

Taito Hey is jammed in between 2 Sega Club arcades in Akihabara. Although it has an amazing selection of all genre's it is a Shmup players dream. One of the floors is nothing but the best shmups with amazing high scores. They even have monitors at the entrance of the building with live play of popular games played at high level. I played Under Defeat there on a massive 37" candy and it was amazing. Even better I went to one of the smaller shops in Akiba and bought it for a fair price 30 minutes later :)

United States : Sunnyvale Golfland USA

hashiriya1 mentioned it already. This one is a personal favorite as my Street Fighter obsession began here. They were the first place on this continent to get most versions of Street Fighter. John Choi, Alex Valle, even Tomo played there. My friends and I would actually road trip back then just to experience the high level play.

United States : Pinball Hall of Fame

CRTGAMER just posted about this one. Ghetto fabulous. The nicest people and the best pinball selection I have ever seen. The gentleman I spoke with said they have around 600 machines in storage at all times which work well. The only problem they have so many it becomes hard to manage rubber part replacements because they store them so long the rot without even going on the floor!

lastly, I am from Portland and I think Ground Kontrol is just a decent arcade. Maybe its because I've been to all of those places. This may be my last post before I am eaten by hipster babies on bicycles.
I like old games
I like new games
I like games
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

boltfanSD wrote:
WrathOskvro wrote:1984 Arcade in Springfield, MO

This is an awesome place and as far as I know it's still going strong.

Me and some friends are actually making the trip up from nwa this saturday, glad to see it looks pretty legit. I don't know how long ago you were there but I'll try to take some current pictures when I'm up there.

Was there I think like..August or so of last year. Awesome place indeed.
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

dlmvii wrote:Galloping Ghost - Brookfield IL

It's $15 to get in the door (all day), and all of the machines are set free to play. The atmosphere and staff are really relaxed, and there is a huge selection of games (the only thing missing is any japanese style shmup (aka bullet hell), which is my favorite arcade genre).

edit - i stand corrected. They recently acquired Ikaruga. :)

My problem with GGA is that they don't keep their games in good cosmetic condition; non-working games and missing marquees are common there.

Betamax001 wrote:I really oughta check out Star Worlds in DeKalb. It's a bit closer to me than Galloping Ghost.

Pat and Glenn really are awesome guys. They actually display business cards for my site there and we're pretty much affiliates by this point.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

California: Round 1 arcade (place is simply magical!) - Denjin arcade (R.I.P.) :(