Disc Rot

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SkyLlama
8-bit

Re: Disc Rot

Post by SkyLlama »

Jamisonia wrote:This is a huge problem for Laserdiscs. Some manufacterers are just worst at it than others. We would be wise to start to create a database now about what games are rotting, and where these games were pressed like LD enthusiats did. They were able to nail down the timeframe and plant of the worst offenders, than use that to predict the likelihood of other releases to be affected by rot. In the case of LD the worst offender was Sony, which had one plant that couldn't seem to make a rot free disc.

Really? I'm not heavily into Laserdiscs but have had issues and didn't know about this, but I have had some suffer from this problem.

I'll have to search this up, so I know what to buy and what not to buy.
ImageImage
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

Jamisonia wrote:This is a huge problem for Laserdiscs. Some manufacterers are just worst at it than others. We would be wise to start to create a database now about what games are rotting, and where these games were pressed like LD enthusiats did.

i don't think this is possible. i have heard - was a show about how the library of congress preserves all their shit - that manufacturers make different batches of cds depending on what material is present at the time of pressing. so technically, two completely different quality of cds can be made on the same day in the same factory.

basically, the show said that some cds will stand up to the harshest conditions and stand the test of time while others will degenerate over time even in ideal conditions. and there is no way to identify what cd you have either. just the luck of the draw.
if you took a shit, please put it back
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

I've had it on a few CDRs that have been left in my car, but all my games are kept in their boxes and therefore away from direct sunlight. I'm certainly not worried about any of this
BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

AgentBurnwood wrote:I have old music CD's from the 80's and PC CD's from the early 90's that still work great and have no bit rot, but have had to sell off several Dreamcast and XBOX games that developed bit rot.

So you sold non-working games? :(
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

:cry: OH NO!! MY CADILLACS AND DINOSAURS FOR SEGA CD!!

AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
AgentBurnwood
8-bit

Post by AgentBurnwood »

BRIK wrote:
AgentBurnwood wrote:I have old music CD's from the 80's and PC CD's from the early 90's that still work great and have no bit rot, but have had to sell off several Dreamcast and XBOX games that developed bit rot.

So you sold non-working games? :(

They were still working fine, except for some occasional audio glitches. A friend of mine offered to buy them for cheap after hearing what I'd found on them, and I agreed. $20 got him, if I recall correctly, Spirit of Speed 1937, Wacky Races, Mars Matrix, and Carrier for the Dreamcast, and another $10 got him Metal Slug 3, Kotor 1, and Halo 2 Map Pack for the Xbox. All were complete with manuals, case, and discs in good shape (excepting the handful of bit rot speckles). He had been wanting to purchase some of those games for a while, and I let him have them right then and there because the bit rot might not permit him to play them in the future. We've both played some of them since then, and while all still work fine for the most part, both of us know that those discs are living on borrowed time. But really, that is all you can honestly do in good faith once you diagnose the issue; that is, be upfront about it, and enjoy the games while you still can.
AgentBurnwood
8-bit

Post by AgentBurnwood »

Nintendork666 wrote::cry: OH NO!! MY CADILLACS AND DINOSAURS FOR SEGA CD!!

My condolences, I've found some nasty surprises just like that. Did you just find that after checking your discs?
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

AgentBurnwood wrote:
Nintendork666 wrote::cry: OH NO!! MY CADILLACS AND DINOSAURS FOR SEGA CD!!

My condolences, I've found some nasty surprises just like that. Did you just find that after checking your discs?

Yup. Broke my heart.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

Post by MrHealthy »

Has anyone ever had disc rot on a gamecube game? I check mine about once a year but I've never had any problems, nor have I heard of any other people having problems with gamecube games.
AgentBurnwood
8-bit

Post by AgentBurnwood »

MrHealthy wrote:Has anyone ever had disc rot on a gamecube game? I check mine about once a year but I've never had any problems, nor have I heard of any other people having problems with gamecube games.

I've heard of it a few times, but have only ever seen it once for the Gamecube- on a very badly scratched-up copy of a Spongebob game at a Goodwill.