Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by Sload Soap Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Been making my way through Doom 64 again, this time on the XBone. I still think it's a great, unique entry. Some levels actually edge me towards it being my favourite Doom, then some levels are a bit too clever for their own good and I bump it back down. It's also great that my Xbox has Doom 64, Turok 1 and 2 and Perfect Dark installed so I can play the best of the N64s shooters without the fog, framerate choppiness and poor controls.

I've also started up No Man's Sky. Even though I've so far sunk about 6 hours in, it's hard for me to make a real judgement. I like exploring the planets and this is one a few games has procedural generation that I can actually stand but it's also a survival game which means it's kind of aimless. There is a set of story missions but they are require copious amounts of mining or farming which means lots of time spent aiming a gun at rocks and watching them turn into useable materials, a la Minecraft. I'll follow the story a little more but like Minecraft, while I can appreciate the appeal not quite sure if it's there for me.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Sload Soap wrote:Been making my way through Doom 64 again, this time on the XBone. I still think it's a great, unique entry. Some levels actually edge me towards it being my favourite Doom, then some levels are a bit too clever for their own good and I bump it back down. It's also great that my Xbox has Doom 64, Turok 1 and 2 and Perfect Dark installed so I can play the best of the N64s shooters without the fog, framerate choppiness and poor controls.

I don't remember Doom 64 really having any fog, unlike Turok, which is nigh unplayable to me. It's all close quarters, so everything looks good still. Doom 64 is definitely top 10 N64 game. Some complain about the darkness, but I liked it. Really added to the atmosphere, especially with the invisible spectres lurking about.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Yeah, I shouldn't have thrown Doom 64 in with those two. Turok 2 hits all three marks though. I cannot stress how much more enjoyable the Turok remasters are than the original N64 games for me. I actually found Turok 2 somewhat good in the end. I was inspired enough to read the Turok comics. They ain't so good.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Sload Soap wrote:Yeah, I shouldn't have thrown Doom 64 in with those two. Turok 2 hits all three marks though. I cannot stress how much more enjoyable the Turok remasters are than the original N64 games for me. I actually found Turok 2 somewhat good in the end. I was inspired enough to read the Turok comics. They ain't so good.

I don't have an Xbox of any kind, so I can't play the remasters, but after getting hyped for Turok as a kid, I found it incredibly disappointing. Turok 2 I don't even remember anymore.
Syndicate
8-bit

by Syndicate Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:46 pm

...so I'm still working my way through ACIII and Hollow Knight but have recently been distracted by the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I think I'm moving at a decent clip and finished the first two games and I may wrap up the third one this weekend.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:12 am

I’m seven and a half hours into Legends of Amberland (Switch). It’s a new RPG inspired by very old, first-person, open-world RPGs like The Bard’s Tale, Dragon Wars, and Might & Magic. It is relatively easy, but a lot of fun. It brings the best aspects of those old games (e.g., a large open world, excessive grinding, relatively deep mechanics, etc.) with modern player conveniences (e.g., fast travel, swift combat, etc.). It also has a beautiful retro aesthetic, and if any of this sounds remotely interesting to you, I recommend checking it out.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:29 pm

I've been slowly completing Ratchet & Clank for about two weeks, I had to emulate and it kinda chugs in open spaces on my PC (tried some speedhacks but it didn't really help much). The game is solid and basically a metroidvania with a hub map and levels, but very much a jack of all trades kind of deal besides maybe the visuals and cutscenes.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Ack

by Ack Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:32 pm

You should talk to Pidge about the series, Leever. I believe they played through all of it over the summer. We also had a quick comparison to Jak and Daxter, with the general consensus being that Ratchet and Clank was the superior title.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:18 pm

Ah cool, I enjoyed reading those. Sounds like the sequel fixed some of the most glaring flaws.

Personally I did enjoy some mini-games like the hoverboard race and flight combat segment, and found having to buy ammo to be fine so far since you keep bolts after death and enemies respawn (you can also leave the planet to make everything respawn IIRC). But it does at times feel like the mini-games and certain gimmicks were tacked on instead of what should've been done which is polish the controls and some of the difficulty balancing.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:47 pm

The sequel fixes SO much. The game controls way better, the guns are better, and the mini-games suck way less. The third game improves things even more, and is easily the best of the bunch I've played.

I just started Ratchet & Clank Future (the first one, which I thiiiink is Tools of Destruction? it has no subtitle in Japanese) yesterday, and so far at least that isn't as good as R&C3, but it's still early days. The bad guy already isn't as good as Dr. Nefarious, so that's one thing not in this game's favor :lol: . It also does that great thing so many last-gen games did where the first area is both very pretty and has a lot of physics objects, but all that pretty-ness tanks the framerate noticeably in some areas of it, so that's a great start as well :lol:

It's not my favorite so far, but it's also a FAR step up from Deadlocked, so I'm happy with that at least. This is also the first one I've played so far where it's REALLY noticeable that Ratchet's eyebrows are different in the Japanese version, so that's also fun X3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to General Gaming