Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by Sload Soap Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 pm

I got Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled and boy is it not fun. The original was a hard game but this is hard and Beenox have kind of screwed up the controls so it's frustrating. It's the drifting mostly, it just seems really off and imprecise. Did anyone else play this and have any issues? It's not like I'm huge fan of the original so this isn't muscle memory betraying me like it did with Beenox's Crash 1 remake. The control feels off compared to other kart racers like Mario Kart 8 and Team Sonic Racing.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:29 pm

Started playing Metroid: Other M on the wii today. This has been a game I have been meaning to play for a long time, very odd game, does not feel like metroid but I am definitely enjoying it so far.
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

by PretentiousHipster Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:01 pm

For some reason my save for Ancient Stone Tablets broke, probably just an idiotic mistake on my part, so I'll give it a while before playing it again. I found a website where they made it so that it automatically saves so that should work.

Instead I started Marvelous: Another Treasure Island. Love its style and charm, and it feels like Zelda without the enemies. The designer of this did make Zelda games afterwards, and it looks like this uses the same engine as A Link to the Past, so this isn't a far-fetched comparison. It is one of the best games I've played so far.

I would consider this to be a good pipeline for point and click adventure games. The puzzles are simple, are math and logic-friendly which are the ones I love the most, and the gameplay is more accessible than the other games of that genre.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:43 am

Well, I was playing Dex, a fun cyberpunk 2D action/rpg affair, but I loaded it back up this morning and for whatever reason it's reverted to a save about 3 hours prior to where I was. I've beat the game before but it's still very annoying.

I might start the Ratchet & Clank remake, I've never really played much of the series before but have a bit of an itch for big platformer at the moment.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Just started cursed mountain on wii, seems interesting so far.

Not sure what retro game I want to play next, may finally check off harmony of dissonance but who knows
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:31 pm

Sload Soap wrote:I got Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled and boy is it not fun. The original was a hard game but this is hard and Beenox have kind of screwed up the controls so it's frustrating. It's the drifting mostly, it just seems really off and imprecise. Did anyone else play this and have any issues? It's not like I'm huge fan of the original so this isn't muscle memory betraying me like it did with Beenox's Crash 1 remake. The control feels off compared to other kart racers like Mario Kart 8 and Team Sonic Racing.

You just saved me $24, thank you. I played the original on a burned CDR 20 years ago but I have no real nostalgia . The Sonic racing and Mario kart games are all I need .
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:41 pm

Just started playing Wario Land: Shake it on wii. I pulled it out of my stack and it was still sealed, this is one of the very few wii games I had from when the wii was new and even though I knew I never played it, I was surprised to see it was still sealed. I was a little hesitant to open it, but at the same time, I collect games to play them so I reluctantly ripped it open, gotta say it was pretty satisfying opening a 12 year old game and so far I am really enjoying it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:45 pm

Wario Land: Shake It! is so, so, awesome. An absolute gem that desperately needs a HD remaster.
PretentiousHipster
32-bit

by PretentiousHipster Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:52 pm

I really need to stop playing so many games at once. Gonna focus on one at a time for now and will not start another game until I beat like 5 of them. I also have a backlog of 9.5 games to make video reviews of. Will do a longer one this Wednesday hopefully and then do a short arcade racer video review on Sunday.

Phantom Hourglass - I usually have to take breaks with this because of the repetition of the ocean king dungeon. When you're not in that dungeon this is a great game. I have two of the pure metals so I should be almost done. Could be a good introduction to Zelda fans too because it doesn't seem too difficult.

Twilight Princess - Definitely picking up. I seem to be done with the twilight realm stuff so I'm curious to know if I still gotta do the wolf stuff or not. Dungeon design after the first tedious dungeon, and the boss battles are just fantastic.

Dawn of Discovery - City management game made a lot better with its accessibility. The story-mode is basically one very long tutorial. Kind of feels like a cell phone game, but nothing wrong with that tbh as it's still well done.

Earthbound - Fantastic game, but I feel like it should be grinding-friendly as it is a smidge too challenging for me.

Ancient Stone Tablets - Absolutely loved the first hour, but my save screwed up, will play this again very soon after I beat the next entry here.

Marvelous: Another Treasure Island - Honestly better than any Zelda game I have replayed so far. Take the zelda approach, yet add a world that feels more charming and almost as immersive, provide variety with the choice of characters, and very minimal use of enemies, and are replaced with well done puzzles. Like a mix of a Zelda and a point-and-click adventure game. I have 2 of the orbs so far and if it stays this good then this is one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Super Mario Galaxy - Just stunning in every way. This might be slightly better than Mario 64 because the galaxies feel more in-depth and have more variety to the point that it never feels like you are repeating a galaxy. Although I haven't played Mario 64 is so long.

Astal - The graphics are just mindblowing even to this day. I love its use of taking the theme of crystals, and sticking with it for the environments and enemies. The boss battles are amazing too. This does suffer from 2 things. Firstly, it feels a bit too stilted and slow with its controls. This is just my preference though as I prefer fast-paced and tight controls for platformers. This might also be because I'm too young and am way too spoiled, but you only have one continue, and after that you have to start the game all over. I will leave a few days off between playthroughs then so it won't feel repetitive.

I did beat Descent: Freespace recently and the main game was fantastic, but I was turned off by the grey area aspect of the expansion pack, and the AI and graphics seemed a lot worse. The difficulty progression was so broken too because the first mission was by far the hardest one. I have an idea for a video with this which might be a great idea. Do a showdown between this, the first Wing Commander, and Star Wars Tie Fighter. I did order a joystick and after beating a few games I will try that.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:47 pm

Got back into playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the past week or so.
Return to General Gaming