Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Arenegeth
24-bit

Re: What are you playing?

by Arenegeth Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:15 am

I have now personally confirmed, that if you don't have either of the Mr. Yukawa figures he doesn't show up at Bar Yokosuka on the night the friends visit even if entering after 11:00 pm.

I didn't have to do a dry run from the start of the game to get to that point, I had a Disc 2 Start File from my previous run on my 4x Memory Card which was were I originally started my playthroughs (I moved on a single VMU since), so I only had to do the first day of Disc 2 and I was afk waiting for 11:00 pm for most of it.

I wasn't able to confirm whether the Nozomi scene was absolutely necessary for the friends visit, or if only one of the figures was enough to get Mr. Yukawa to show up, since I had neither by that point on that run, and I have both on this one.

I'm not curious enough or have the time to waste to test either of those things out, and they are beyond the purposes of the guide anyway.

So what does this mean as far as my guide goes?

Well, I'll have to actively advise people to let go of the Dural Gold if they get unbelievably lucky as I did, or else risk missing out on this Easter Egg. And that makes me feel bad, because I got the Dural and the Yukawa's (though I did have to forgo the Silver one). I could alternatively suggest to squeeze in the second Mr. Yukawa figure exactly when I did, but that complicates things, because statistically speaking, me lucking out and getting the Dural Gold so easy, without Silver, or either of the Mr. Yukawa's showing up first, had a very, very low probability of happening, it is very likely that at least 99% of the people who would potentially use the guide might not get that lucky.

I guess I'll figure it out, it doesn't affect my actual playthrough and at least now I know for sure both Mr. Yukawa Easter Eggs trigger if you have both figures 100%.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 am

Tetris 99 is totally my go to right now. I'm up to 6 wins (out of 320 games, haha).

Lightseekers is still my more mellow go to. I wish y'all were playing this. I feel really good about my Nature and Storm decks right now.

I've been back on Overwatch a bit again. OWL got me hooked again. Shouts to Boston Uprising who cracked .500 this weekend :)

I also finally gave Apex Legends a go over the weekend. I'm not good. I have two kills in two hours played. But my team did win in my very first match, with my kill being the last. Felt absolutely epic. Turned out to be beginners luck of course, and I've done pretty lousy in the games since.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 am

Started replaying Mega Man 3 last night for funsies. Prob not weird to say that it's perhaps my favorite of the NES games. (2 and 3 are real close). Ran through uh, five levels if I recall. I've played it a million times, though. I lucked out, having picked up MM Legacy Collection used on Switch, and just assumed the download code for Vol 2 would be used, but nope - I got those games as well. Such a great compilation. The soundtrack selection is awesome, and I listened to the intro for MM3 a few times in a row - one of my fav chiptunes of all time. I don't have a Mega Man amiibo - anybody know what it does in this collection?
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Didn't get to play any Vesperia over the weekend since I was visiting my gf. I'm really enjoying it overall. I'm not quite sure what makes this game a Tales fan favorite so far, but it is quite good. Rita is my favorite character so far.

I still got a little FFIX time in on the trip. Only about 3 hours in. I love how great it looks on the Switch. The remaster came out great. I assume it looks about the same as the PC release which I have but have never touched.

We played some Katamari Damacy Reroll together as well. The Switch is so perfect for trips. Can play it as a portable at the airport and on the flights and also bring along the dock and plug it into any TV for a nice console experience.

I've got some games lined up to for the next 3 or so months after Vesperia.

Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
The Last Story
Shining Resonance Refrain
Ys VIII

In addition to the single player games I end up playing a match or two of League of Legends some days. Sometimes more on weekends. Depends how busy I am and how invested I am in whatever single player game I am playing. Like Vesperia I've only been playing for a few hours each night so I have time for other things, but when I was playing XC1 I didn't have much time for League because I just wanted to play XC1 as much as possible.

Also pre-ordered FFVII on the Switch. These game should hold me over pretty well til the big releases this summer. Fire Emblem isn't til the end of July. I'm interested in DMC5 too, but I'm waiting til I can get it for half price or less. Same goes for the Switch releases of FFX/X-2 and XII.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:08 am

I'd have more time for other games if Tetris 99 didn't exist. I'm up to 8 wins now.

That said, I'm still working on my crazy survey of the classics and not-so-classics. Am currently revisiting Mega Man III, and should be done with that one soon. Top of the pile includes:

Startropics - which I've never played but always looked cool and launched on Switch Online this week.

Final Fantasy IV - which I've played a bit of over the years, but never really gave it the attention it deserves.

Metroid II - or rather, Samus Returns. I played the hell out of Metroid II on GB since it first came out. So I'm looking forward to Samus Returns, although the sort of 2D polygonal look of it doesn't really excite me. We'll see.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:31 am

Startropics and Samus Returns are both awesome. Have fun!
pook99
24-bit

by pook99 Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 pm

ZenErik wrote:. I'm interested in DMC5 too, but I'm waiting til I can get it for half price or less. Same goes for the Switch releases of FFX/X-2 and XII.

DMC 5 is absolutely amazing, I'm not too far into it (haven't even unlocked dante yet) but so far is is shaping up to be the best in the series and is leagues ahead of the bayonetta games. I wish I could just sit and play it for hours but unfortunately I've been busier than I liked

Also playing:

1) Ape Escape(ps1) in the spirit of March together retro I am finally playing this game that I have literally owned since its release, so far it is a lot of fun, just slightly hampered by unrefined mechanics (ie: wonky camera, controls from early 3d platformers)

2)Landstalker(genesis) Great game, a little obtuse and it is the kind of game you should use a walkthrough for but is very enjoyable and not a conventional title.
marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:11 pm

Carry that monkey flag! I remember playing it a bit in Japan just a year or two after it came out and I thought it looked very interesting. It's a neat way to use 2 analog sticks, that's for sure.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 pm

All three main Ape Escape games are a lot of fun IMO. The third one, if I recall correctly, even has a pretty wild and fun Metal Gear Solid crossover. I highly recommend all of them.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:24 pm

I'm playing Sakura Taisen 2, right now. It's interesting that, by comparison, the first Sakura Taisen on the Saturn seems a little bit like a pilot for the series, and 2 just seemed to get money thrown at it for its budget. The FMV cutscene animation looks like theatrical release stuff (or at the very least, something like the Blue Sub no 6, or Macross Plus OVAs), if a bit compressed for playback on the Saturn, and I don't know if I've ever seen better realtime polygon animation from the 5th generation than with the Koubu in each character's special attack. The strategy battles, so far, seem slightly more challenging, but mostly just because they ratcheted back the number of times Oogami can cover one of the other characters in a battle from eight times, down to three times. Also, turn order feels a bit more sporadic than in the first game, so sometimes early in the battle, I've moved certain units into more dangerous positions, not realizing that an enemy was going to be able to take a turn before the rest of my units could act. My battle record is perfect so far, though.

In the adventure portions of the game, they added some new mechanics where some dialogue choices will change or be added/removed after a certain amount of time has passed on the timer, which can be a bit of a pain. There have also been some more free form, point-and-click sections with hard timers set on them, added to the game (eg. there's a section where Sakura and Oogami are trying to convince Orihime to join them while making the nightly rounds through the theater, but Orihime prefaces the interaction by saying that if the conversation takes too long, she's just going to leave (because she's a super-pest)). The first chapter of the game was a little annoying for me, just because it sort of had the same set-up as the first game, and (while for the purposes of explaining certain things to newcomers) had really awkward conversations between Oogami and other characters, where they were talking to him as if he had amnesia, and completely forgot all of the events of the first game; Even really basic things like, 'what are Koubu,' and 'what is your daily function at the theater.'

The art style has changed subtly from the last game, as well, and I'm not totally on board with the changes to Kanna's portrait, but I'm getting used to it. The new characters, Orihime, and Lenny, are kind of annoying. I really liked Orihime's design, but then I found out that the developers decided to put a Super Sumire in the game, and I am totally over it, at this point. I'm pretty sure I already know why she's so terrible, even though I haven't gotten her specific sob story out of her yet, but it really wouldn't excuse the level of intolerable that she is. Lenny just kind of confuses me. I'm not sure if the developers just got cold feet about letting Oogami romance a 14 year old boy, or if he's just a vehicle for directing some of Iris' little girl feelings, or what. Either way, without any (visible) trust bonuses, I really don't see any reason to even try to interact with him. He typically doesn't say anything that a robot wouldn't say, anyway. (Maybe he actually is a steam powered robot; Somehow Kouran converted steam power into electrical power for the Kinematron, so--.) Also, Saki just has to be a honeypot, and I don't really care if she's married, and almost twice Oogami's age, I want Kanzaki Hinako (Sumire's mom) to be selectable as the heroine for the endgame in this one.
Return to General Gaming