Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
128-bit

Re: What are you playing?

by Markies Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 am

I started Shining in the Darkness on the Sega Genesis this evening!

I have beaten both of the Shining Force games and I picked this one up because I wanted to continue the series. I have never experienced a first person dungeon crawler PC style RPG like this before, so I was a little bit nervous going into the game.

So far, I am enjoying my experience. Obviously, there is a ton of grinding and many random battles. But, it hasn't been too bad. Took me a bit to wrap my head around the world and interface, but I think I got a handle on it. I'm praying for a quick exit out of the dungeon and I hope that comes sooner rather than later.

It hasn't wowed me yet, but I have been pleasantly surprised.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:12 am

I am jiggling 3 games right now and am loving each one for their own unique reasons.

The first game I'm playing is wargroove on the switch. This advanced wars inspired fantasy tactical rpg is chock full of charm. In the story mode you play as a newly crowned queen whose father was killed by an opposing nation. You are forced to flee the kingdom and figure out why your father was killed and stop the evil forces from uncovering a powerful weapon.

This game is a ton of fun because the combat encounters feature a broad depth of challenge and win requirements. There are missions that involve rescuing prisoners, evacuating villagers and protecting them from oncoming forces, explore forests and avoid surprise attack in a fog of war heavy map and one specific encounter that was literally a survive waves and waves of enemies that was insanely challenging that I won by the skin of my teeth.

The game also features an arcade mode where you participate in a series of faster skirmishes that net you music you can use in the campaign creator. Included as well is a puzzle mode where you must defeat the enemy in a single turn. It is easy at first but can be mindbending in later levels.

The big draw for me is the campaign creator. The game offers you such a broad set of tools that make designing maps an absolute breeze. It sets up flags and basic coding as super easy to grasp and I was shocked as to how easy it was to make complex battle scenarios with little effort.

You can create various win scenarios in a battle, offer branching campaign paths and also create and animate cutscenes with an insanely robust set of tools that is, again, easy to use. I am in love with this game.

The second game I am playing is Dot Hack GU on the PC. I found the HD remaster of the series on sale for steam and immediately had to pick it up. I am a giant fan of the original series and GU is not disappointing. This game features so many improvements over the first with a more engaged combat system, streamlined dungeons with a diverse number of area goals and quests, more sprawling hub worlds, an arena, a guild management system, a personal shop system and so much more.

The game still keeps the awesome desktop much like the original where you read up on real world news, read and participate in forum posts, exchange emails and build online relationships. I loved this detail in the original series and am super happy that the gu series continues that.

The only thing that bothers me in this game is that the lead protagonist is the biggest asshole on the planet. I know that the reason is to show him turning around and enjoying the game and making real friends, but he is a dismissive little shit that complains endlessly and is rude and emotionally abusive to everyone he interacts with. I can not express how much I HATE the main character. Outside of that I love all of the other cast members and their wild character designs. The game has tons of mystery and is strongly connected to the original series. I am hooked.

Last, but certainly not least, I fired up an old defunct mmorpg called Castle Infinity. It was a rocky start as the update server was having issues, but last night they were resolved and I was able to log in with ease.

This game is a puzzle platformer from 1997 which was geared towards a younger audience. The plot is insane as dinosaurs built a virtual castle eons ago to protect themselves from warring monsters who smashed a giant meteor into the earth. Only now, with the invention of the internet did we discover this castle and have explored it in an attempt to destroy monsters and save the dinosaurs. It... Is... Weird.

The actual gameplay is pretty cool. You make an avatar that is comprised of various parts which you can discover and unlock more parts as you progress. The game itself features a lot of platforming that is mostly responsive and fun to do. The levels and areas are massive with a lot to interact with and tons of puzzles that require the help of others. I have only just started playing so I mainly did the tutorial and explored the social hub.. Which was empty. Still there was a lot to do and it seems the folks keeping the game alive really care about it and there is a huge nostalgic fan base... Just no one playing.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:19 am

I'm playing Octopath Traveler which, according to the internet, is the most sexist game ever made. Personally, I figured that would be something like Onechanbara or Custer's Revenge, but who am I to argue with Tumblr?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

by Ack Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:15 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm playing Octopath Traveler which, according to the internet, is the most sexist game ever made. Personally, I figured that would be something like Onechanbara or Custer's Revenge, but who am I to argue with Tumblr?

Sometimes it's good to know the Internet Hate Machine still functions perfectly.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:30 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm playing Octopath Traveler which, according to the internet, is the most sexist game ever made.

There was one activist "journalist" that wrote something about it, and a few, lets say, 'ideologically possessed' people that may have parroted those sentiments.

But no one rational among JRPG fans or gaming community at large would ever say that, especially about a pixelated throwback game with barely anything inherently controversial.

Then again 'isms' get thrown at games of any kind these days regardless of rationale and context so is hardly surprising that Octopath Traveler got hit with some mud.

Anyway, I took a break from Shenmue these last few days, to start Pokemon Let's Go, Pikachu!

I had fully maxed out both starter Pikachu and Mew so I had no Pokemon to carry with me on my walks anymore.

As such, for most of the game I've been one-shotting all the things with Pay Day for the money advantage. It wasn't until the late 20's early 30's that some Rock Pokemon would survive one and is not until the early 40's that non Rock or Steel Pokemon could occasionally take more than one to bring down. A Golem I just fought around the Seafoam Islands took four, he holds the record so far.

That made a very easy game even easier, but I think it actually made the game better overall.

You see some of the changes they added, especially when it comes to 'quality of life' adjustments were generally welcome and probably long overdue for the series. But spam catching Pokemon for level-ups was probably the worst addition to the game, and being forced to do it with the inaccurate motion controls only makes matter worse.

For me, because I didn't need to spam grind anything because I already have the two Poke's that are probably capable of taking down the Elite Four together (if I actually use a move other than Pay Day) the game flows better, since I only catch Pokemon I see and don't have in my Pokedex yet, rather than spamming 50 Rattata's back to back for an experience bonus.

I've been sticking to a schedule of two Gym Badges a day so far, and I got the last two left for today, I'll probably sneak in some Elite Four and post game action by the end of the day if I can, but I will be returning to Shenmue starting tomorrow, since completing this game entails a number of things, including trading with the other version of the game, and most importantly an extreme grind of almost every single Pokemon in the game for the Master Trainers they thought it be a good idea to add.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 pm

I started God of War 2 HD earlier today. It's immediately a SHARP increase in quality from the first. Tighter controls, better/simplified platforming elements, you mash O instead of R2 to open doors now. It looks great on the PS3's resolution, but this is still one damn pretty PS2 game. The resolution may be up'd, but that polygon count don't lie. It's everything a sequel should be so far.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:33 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:The first game I'm playing is wargroove on the switch.

I started playing this one too. I'm in Act 2 of the campaign and loving every bit of it. I'm looking forward to building some maps and playing some multiplayer.

Also still playing a healthy amount of Smash Ultimate. Loving Piranha Plant.

Finally think i'm ready to put Dead Cells down for a while. When they put out the Pimp My Run console patch, then I'll pick it back up for some more runs.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:27 am

Played some more God of War 2 today. The combat is a lot better than the first game. You can dodge so much more often now and the recovery is so much slower. And giving the big, alternate weapon an inability to dodge actually gives you a reason to not JUST use that. My only issue, if you could call it that, has been the puzzles so far. There have been like 3, or 4, some mandatory puzzles, I've had to look up the solutions for online because the solution to them takes advantage of a mechanic hinted at very poorly or never before introduced. The actual gameplay bits have been good fun so far though.

I've also been playing Tiny Barbarian DX. I'm near the very end of it now, and I'm not really sure I've enjoyed this. I've mostly just been trying to get it done and it's something to do on my Switch while I listen to podcasts :lol: . It brings back a lot of memories of older, hard but flawed platformers on the NES and SNES. A lot of really relentless enemy barrages with limited ways to hit them (ala Ninja Gaiden or Castlevania on NES) as well as some leaps of faith to platforms you couldn't possibly see (like a Super Star Wars or something like that on SNES). Some of the bosses have been great, but a lot of them have also been SERIOUS bullshit, and the same goes for the platforming, which ranges from fluid and fun to absurdly hard pixel-perfect jumps. It captures a good deal of those old games' design, but the horrible pixel-perfect jumps really take the cake on top of an older design that I've never really cared for. It's a very pretty game, but it's just so often an unfun level of difficult that boarders on unfair that I've many times contemplated on just setting it down and giving up. I'm so close to the end though that I figure I may as well push on through this final boss (and escape scene afterwards, probably).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:53 pm

I've been obsessed with Lightseekers for weeks. My Switch says I've got like 30+ hours on it already. Ugh. It's sidetracked my big list of classics I'd been tackling. I should get back to that soon. Maybe throw in a few shorter things.

I haven't even touched Cosmic Star Heroine yet, which arrived a week or so ago. And I've got Monster Hunter 3 and Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales that just arrived as well.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:25 pm

I'm trying to finish up Let's Go Eevee. I made a big push to get to Fuchsia City in order to import some Pokemon from Pokemon Go and get the Mystery Box for the Meltan event. Being able to import Pokemon ended up being a bit of a disappointment because they are so low level when imported. It would have been more enjoyable if the place where you do the transfers was earlier in the game. I just have the 8th gym left to do now. I'll probably go get Mewtwo after that and call it a day.

I'm still playing some Smash Bros Ultimate here and there with my son. I finished all the Spirit related challenges the other day.

Next I will likely play Resident Evil 3 and Code Veronica X with some Ni No Kuni II while the kids are around.
Return to General Gaming