Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
64-bit

Re: What are you playing?

by pook99 Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Play offensively, learn to abuse the parry (I suggest going with the Hunter Pistol at first because it's faster and longer range), and have fun. You're in for a journey into madness, in a good way.

I just made it to the first boss, very aggravating and unintuitive so far, I could suffer through most of it but right now the camera is kicking my ass and that is just frustrating. I may give it another go but so far there are just a lot of design choices that are annoying the hell out of me. I love hard games, but I'm not sure that this is hard for the reasons I enjoy. Typically, I am big into hardcore platformers, which admittedly, require a far different skill set than a game like bloodborne.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Yesterday, on a whim, I searched the App Store for Konami and found Konami Pixel Puzzle. It is completely free (i.e., ad free, no IAP, etc.) and totally awesome. Basically, it is a series of picross puzzles (500 by my estimate) based on classic Hudson and Konami games. In addition to obvious choices, it references games like Esper Dream, Nuts & Milk, Tokomeki Memorial, etc., and was clearly designed for the Japanese market. That just makes it even better for longtime Hudson and Konami fans, like me, though!

The only weird thing about it is that you are forced to wait three hours between “boss” puzzles. Again, the game is completely free; so, you can’t spend money or watch an ad to play the “boss” puzzles sooner. It is like Konami thought about monetizing the game, put in this waiting mechanic, decided not to monetize the game, but never took out the requirement that you wait between certain puzzles. Oh, Konami! Despite this. Afflict mechanic, I can’t complain too much. The game is completely free and there are more than enough incredibly challenging puzzles to keep me busy. Highly recommended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:32 pm

My patience for Zelda II is growing thin already haha. I've grinded so that my Attack is 4 and Magic and Health are 5. I made it through the maze-caves but am now trying to go into that cave where the hammer is and getting my ass handed to me. Part of me wonders what it'd be like to just grind in the desert here until all my stats are maxed and seeing if it makes the game 'easier.' Part of me hates that I'd even consider spend that much time grinding. Which in turn makes me think that I'm not really having that much fun right now.

Maybe my so-called love of Zelda II is actually a combination of nostalgia; adoration for the music; and generally enjoying the gameplay itself, while not actually enjoying the GAME. Which is to say, that a version of the game with tweaks could be a pretty fantastic game. The gameplay is fine. But the need for grinding, the big chunks of HP that get taken away from hits - at least early on - by even basic enemies... ugh. Maybe we'll get one of those "SP" ROM hacks on Switch Online that'll make the going easier in the future haha.

As a side note - I feel like I've said this before, but there's definitely a lot of DNA from Zelda II in Breath Of The Wild. It's just excecuted better in BOTW.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:45 pm

I actually think Zelda II would be an amazing blueprint for the Breath of the Wild treatment, as a full blown remake or something. Just look at the scale of Zelda II, it's got multiple towns, huge regions, and is far bigger than just Hyrule. To me it feels like translating that to 3D in BoTW's style could be pretty cool for something awesome.

But yeah the grinding is the worst part of Zelda II for sure. Also if I remember right if you die, it has that Metroid NES effect where you respawn with only a smudge of your full health/magic too so you have to refill everything?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 am

Flint Hook! It's a really fun rogue-lite action game that I picked up on Switch a while back that I've been using to occupy my hands while I listen to podcasts. It reminds me a lot of The Swindle, but it's both good and much more quick and action-focused. Definitely something I see myself putting a fair deal more time into UwU

-----

I also picked up KH3 for a friend because he's stuck at home recovering from surgery. I hung out at his place while he went through the first 4 or 5 hours and I gotta say I have NO idea how that game is getting such high Metacritic scores. I've only played the first KH game on PS2, but even my friend who's a fan of the series was really disappointed with it. It plays like a late PS2 game/early PS3 game. Bad NPC animations in cutscenes very frequently, not very good VA, TONS of cutscenes unbroken by gameplay (like 8-10 minutes a piece), repetitive combat that's very simple. Like, I have no idea how this ARPG is getting such high praise when we've gotten things like Nier Automata, The Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, and so many other fantastic ARPG's and very cinematic single-player experiences over the past few years.

For a late PS4 game, this was almost farcical in how dated it felt. I really went in expecting to be wowed by all the things I'd read in reviews the past day or so, but I was nothing short of shocked at just how mediocre a product it was. Almost like the skeleton of this game has been done for nearly a decade, and it's just been languishing on the operating table on more superficial levels for that long waiting to finally get the green light to get put out.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:45 pm

I just wanted to trigger pierrot by mentioning that I just got Dural Gold again on my new Shenmue save, on December 6th (so no supposed bonus) using only 1 Winning Can in about 30 minutes and in 10 or so trades.

I was trying for one of the Mr. Yukawa figures, in order to the get the bonus scene at the 9th of December this time instead of waiting until January.

Funnily enough, I accounted for this eventuality in my guide as I was writing it, and I specifically mention that if you luck out while trying for one of the Mr. Yukawa figures, and you get Dural Gold, you should keep it. I just didn't think it would actually happen to me...

And this happened right on the cusp of the 'Charlie Night' which I'll be doing for the third time at this point, so I'm otherwise trudging along, slowly but oh so very efficiently.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:03 am

Arenegeth wrote:I just wanted to trigger pierrot by mentioning that I just got Dural Gold again on my new Shenmue save, on December 6th (so no supposed bonus) using only 1 Winning Can in about 30 minutes and in 10 or so trades.

Hax! Fake news! I still refuse to believe that it exists.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:02 pm

I finished Kingdom Hearts 3 just now. This game is really for folks that have played all the previous games or watched them in movie form from the PS3/PS4 collections. I don't know how anyone else could enjoy the story otherwise - it is far too messy and convoluted. You have to contend with lots of time travel, people with multiple aliases, and people with multiple versions of themselves. It can by trying at times to wrap your head around it.

I enjoyed the gameplay after knocking out 2 or 3 worlds. Sora was de-powered at the end of Dream Drop Distance so there isn't enough complexity early on in KH3 to keep veterans interested. The worlds that I found the most engaging were the ones that told an original story and didn't just retread what happened in the movie that inspired the world. My favorite battle system from the Kingdom Hearts series was in Birth By Sleep. KH3 seems like a mix of BBS and DDD.

In my opinion the visuals were great. I was playing in 4K on a PS4 Pro. Whether you like Nomura or hate him, he can certainly craft some grand spectacles. I didn't have a problem with the voice acting but a lot of the dialogue is admittedly cringe worthy. But the other games in the series are guilty of the same so I was expecting it. The only jarring bits of voice acting was due to actors that had to be replaced because they passed away. RIP Leonard Nimoy, Alan Young (Scrooge), and Ken Sansom (Rabbit). I was surprised to see who they got to replace Nimoy. He did a fine job but no one can replace Nimoy's gravely voice.

Overall I am satisfied with the game. It tied up most plot points but left a few unresolved, presumably so that they can continue the series. This should come as no surprise as Nomura has stated that this wouldn't be the last KH game.

Now for some ending discussion. Entering MAJOR SPOILER territory below. You have been warned.

I heard that this was supposed to be the end of Sora's story. Whoever said that was lying. There is no way that this is the end of Sora's story. Possibly the end of Xehanort's but definitely not Sora or Kairi.

The epilogue had a really good twist that I was not expecting. Turns out that the mobile game Union Cross was really important to the overall story and not mostly throwaway plot points like Coded was.

The secret ending, which I watched on Youtube, was interesting. Sora and Riku show up in Shibuya for some unknown reason and there are two other people hanging out on rooftops. One looks a little like Riku but has heterochromia. I think this was the video game character that was present in the Toy Story world. The other is yet another black robed and hooded figure that is looking up at the moon. The figure makes a heart shape with his/her hands and overlaps them with his/her perspective of the moon (making it look like Kingdom Hearts - the object that Xehanort was obsessed with).

The secret endings in previous games always have something to do with the next game. KH1's secret ending foretold some of the events of Chain of Memories & 358/2 Days. KH2's secret ending foretold the events of Birth By Sleep. I think we are going to see the return of The World Ends With You characters in the next KH installment.
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:59 am

Fastbilly and my buddy Xen got me into Destiny 2, which is where I've been lately. Still an FPS, but this game sucks me in and makes me lose track of time a lot, so...yeah.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:17 am

Got a lot going on right now. I’m still working away on Detective Pikachu (3DS). I’m six chapters in, and I want to beat it before the movie’s released in May. I’m also taking my time with LoZ: The Skyward Sword (Wii). I’m about 15 hours into it, and I’ll beat it someday. I’m also working my way through the Gameboy Mega Man games. They’re awesome, and I’ll probably wrap them up in short order. Finally, I’m working my way, very slowly, through Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS), which has already secured a spot as my favorite Picross game.
Return to General Gaming