Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by pierrot Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 pm

noiseredux wrote:As far as playing like crap... I'm not with you on that one. I think it controls great. Feels much like the first game really, which I think is really solid. I genuinely find the controls more... I don't know, intuitive? in the NES games than in Super Castlevania IV.

I didn't really mean in terms of controls, because you're right, it doesn't control dramatically differently from the first game on the NES. I feel like I prefer the third game in terms of controls, but it's been a while since I played it, and maybe my love of that game as a whole is influencing that idea.

Anyway, in terms of what I found a bit crappy, I was referring more to the level layouts, enemy designs (placement, and patterns), progression, 'mine sweeping' with the holy water, and general game-feel. It could just be the sound emulation on the Wii VC release, but I also wasn't as thrilled about hearing Bloody Tears all the time, as I would have expected. I'm not saying it's a bad game, though. I think it's perfectly reasonable that people enjoy playing it. I could certainly see playing it around its release, after the first NES game, and being excited about 'exploring the Castlevania world,' so to speak. I'm just not particularly entertained by it. Also, the invisible blocks are super obnoxious, and I didn't realize they would be as prevalent as they are, that early into the game.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’ve asked in two threads already, and I’ll ask again here since I think pierrot knows the answer...Is the Japanese version of the game less cryptic than the NA release? In other words, will I better be able to play through the game without a guide if I play a better translation? Or, do you pretty much need s guide no matter what?

I don't know that I could say for certain, because I haven't really played all that much of either the FDS, or the Western version. I've known for some time about the infamous whirlwind (?) thing, and I had heard at one point that some of the issues with figuring out where to go, or what to do were introduced in the localization. So that's partly why I went with the FDS, but I couldn't say much in terms of comparisons. I know that the NPCs in the FDS version do a whole lot of place-name dropping, as if I know where any of those places are. I just try to file it away, but they talk about so many different places, it can be a little tough to keep straight. I don't know if this is usually an issue at all, but I was able to find the merchants in the second town without any really trouble. I had to think about it for a second, but it was relatively straight forward.
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:34 pm

pierrot wrote:So, why do you have to restart from the beginning? I assume you hadn't bought Tiger Storm, but is it because you want to have it from as early as possible to maximize proficiency in it? Are your other throws over the intermediate skill line? Because I thought it was possible to set the daily training for just a single move, instead of just strikes, kicks, or throws.

All my other throws, except Shoulder Buster, which is slightly below, are above the intermediate line, and will most likely max out or be very close to maxing out by the end of the game. Tiger Storm would be one of them if I had picked it up along with Arm Break Fire at the start of the game.

The daily training at the bed doesn't work the way it appears to. It gives you EXP towards the type (or all moves if you don't select anything), or specific move you selected only after certain 'story' sequences. Usually QTE's and Free battles (this includes optional stuff). That means, if I just spend days doing nothing but training (the other moves that I can practice solo), the meter for whatever I chose doesn't budge, but after I move the story along, you see it visibly move.

Tengu Drop and Shoulder Buster also don't unlock by executing, but through this process, which is why Tengu Drop unlocks for me right after (technically during) the free battle at the construction site in Sakuragaoka every single time, and Shoulder Buster at a sequence right after that.

Picking Tiger Storm by itself will give it a boost, but it would be at the expense of everything else, which might help it catch up to the rest but if the rest have any chance of maxing out, now is gone.

I said before, that it may be technically impossible to max out all the throwing moves, since even if all the rest get enough of a boost through this process, there's only so many story sequences left in Disc 3 to help boost the old bums taught throwing moves, and they will most likely not be enough to get them to max.

On top of that, Tom's move and especially Master Chen's final move (both of which are not throwing moves), that's taught to you right before the final Chai battle basically, may be impossible to max out because the game rushes you to the end at that point and you don't have time to run and train them.

But Tiger Storm would be able to be maxed out, considering every other non bum move is, now it will stand out among the rest as the only non-bum move that is not maxed out, or at least close to maxing out, since I haven't confirmed how far the moves will go yet.

Fuku-San sparring can also be extended as many days as you want, but mathematically it doesn't pan out. You get about 5 throws a day, so even if you stick around until April 14th it still won't be enough to max out everything (or even one thing), since past the intermediate line Throwing moves take as many executions as normal moves which means you need 20 just to see it go up once.

That's a lot of information I included here when I should have basically just replied 'I needed Tiger Storm as early as possible to have a chance at maxing it out'.

pierrot wrote:This is really cool. I didn't realize this existed. Do you have a decent source for it, that you could link to?

Yes, but it may not serve you since it might not cover the Japanese version of the game.

Here's the link.

Try to find the NTSC Hex in your Disc image. They say 'NTSC' but they basically mean American, the Hex sequence can be different in the Japanese version as it is in the European version. But I guess you have to try and see.

I assume you know how to get an image of the Passport Disc whether it is by ripping your own GD Rom or 'other' means.

I advise testing the Passport on an emulator first before burning an actual physical disc, just so you don't waste a disc if anything goes wrong. But you need a Shenmue save on your PC for that, even if you don't have the means to move your own, you can probably download somebody else's, or use a fresh save you just created on an emulator for testing purposes.

Either way, let us know how it goes.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:32 am

Just finished Spider-man and am very near the end of Ori and the blind forest. When I am done I will be playing bloodborne and shadow of the tomb raider.

Any tips for me on bloodborne? I've never played it before, never played any of the souls games, I did beat Lords of the Fallen, and I did play Nioh but got bored of it about 17 hours in.

Also, although I also posted this in the games beaten thread, I am reposting this here because it may help someone

For anyone who wants to play castlevania 2, the best way to do it is with the rom hack called simons quest redaction. The rom hack makes the following changes:

1) text box is sped up considerably so day/night transitions are much smoother
2) Hearts are worth double so you dont have to spend as much time farming
3) villagers make sense and give actual hints
4) floors you can fall through are now invisible meaning you dont have to walk around spamming holy water

It makes the game infinitely more playable, and while it is still the weakest in the series, if you want to play through it, this is the way.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 am

Play offensively, learn to abuse the parry (I suggest going with the Hunter Pistol at first because it's faster and longer range), and have fun. You're in for a journey into madness, in a good way.
Tiduas
16-bit

by Tiduas Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:50 am

Been playing Kingdom Hearts 3 since its japanese release two days ago. Won't spoil a thing here except that it lives up to all expectations I could ever dream of. I'm loving it! Do not be afraid to crank that hype level up to a maximum!
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Tiduas wrote:Been playing Kingdom Hearts 3 since its japanese release two days ago. Won't spoil a thing here except that it lives up to all expectations I could ever dream of. I'm loving it! Do not be afraid to crank that hype level up to a maximum!

I wish I had both the money and space in my schedule to spare for both Kingdom Hearts III and the Resident Evil 2 Remake.

But it looks like I'll have to wait closer to the summer to get around to them.

I have finally restarted Shenmue, and well, I wasn't kidding about that guide I actually started writing it.

It is of course currently only for my own benefit, and it will take a lot of time to polish if I ever decide to actually publicize it, but it has proven to be very useful to me so far, and has definitely forced me to be ultra efficient, perhaps obsessively so, compared to my previous playthroughs. I have also achieved more in a shorter spawn of time because of that.

Tough there was this surrealistic moment when I was reading my own guide as I was playing my way through the game. Only problem is that it has made this playthrough more time consuming, not only because I have to write things down, but also because I tend to scrutinize everything more.

Oh well, if everything goes through this time and I end up publicizing the guide later, I guess that would make me kinda like Jesus Christ, I suffered for your sins. Humble like the Lord too!

I started to realize that Shenmue has pretty much replaced the usual JRPG mires I find myself bogged down into for months at a time, but not being one to walk away from a challenge, I will take this puppy to its final conclusion, eventually, hopefully before Shenmue III comes out...
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Play offensively, learn to abuse the parry (I suggest going with the Hunter Pistol at first because it's faster and longer range), and have fun. You're in for a journey into madness, in a good way.

Great, I played it a little bit today but not enough to make any progress, I got frustrated, almost threw the disc across the room, but then I calmed down and will get back into it with more resolve next time.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:12 am

I did start up Zelda II over the weekend. It's just as brutal as I recalled, but I also have so much nostalgia for this game so in some ways the difficulty feels sort of charming. We'll see how long that lasts, haha. Save states certainly help, though. One thing I will say - the Switch Online app needs a little work with emulator options. I've gotten kind of used to playing retro games on the WiiU Virtual Console lately, so realizing that I can't remap buttons on Switch seems like a pretty big ball-drop. (I prefer Jump mapped to B and Attack mapped to Y, personally).

Anyanyway, I beat the first palace and then made my way to the um, those caves that are like a maze. Y'know? I beefed it in there, though. There's some of those heavy hitter dudes with axes... which, it occurs to me I could have just used the jump magic to avoid them instead of fighting them. I get sort of weird about spending MP. Speaking of, is there a good strategy to leveling up Attack/Magic/Health strategically, or just take the upgrades as they come (as I've been doing)?
blablanahoj

by blablanahoj Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:22 am

Mostly CS:GO atm, while watching it competitevly
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 am

Hbomberguy's charity livestream for DK64 inspired me to finally try and 101% the game myself. I picked up the Japanese version (which they for some reason had CIB for barely more than the American version at the resale shop in town) a few days ago, and right now I'm at like only 14 bananas left at about the 14 hour mark. I'm at the point where I need to start looking up where the last few are though, because there's about 10 I just can't find at all XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to General Gaming