What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Xeogred »

I actually think Zelda II would be an amazing blueprint for the Breath of the Wild treatment, as a full blown remake or something. Just look at the scale of Zelda II, it's got multiple towns, huge regions, and is far bigger than just Hyrule. To me it feels like translating that to 3D in BoTW's style could be pretty cool for something awesome.

But yeah the grinding is the worst part of Zelda II for sure. Also if I remember right if you die, it has that Metroid NES effect where you respawn with only a smudge of your full health/magic too so you have to refill everything?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Flint Hook! It's a really fun rogue-lite action game that I picked up on Switch a while back that I've been using to occupy my hands while I listen to podcasts. It reminds me a lot of The Swindle, but it's both good and much more quick and action-focused. Definitely something I see myself putting a fair deal more time into UwU

-----

I also picked up KH3 for a friend because he's stuck at home recovering from surgery. I hung out at his place while he went through the first 4 or 5 hours and I gotta say I have NO idea how that game is getting such high Metacritic scores. I've only played the first KH game on PS2, but even my friend who's a fan of the series was really disappointed with it. It plays like a late PS2 game/early PS3 game. Bad NPC animations in cutscenes very frequently, not very good VA, TONS of cutscenes unbroken by gameplay (like 8-10 minutes a piece), repetitive combat that's very simple. Like, I have no idea how this ARPG is getting such high praise when we've gotten things like Nier Automata, The Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, and so many other fantastic ARPG's and very cinematic single-player experiences over the past few years.

For a late PS4 game, this was almost farcical in how dated it felt. I really went in expecting to be wowed by all the things I'd read in reviews the past day or so, but I was nothing short of shocked at just how mediocre a product it was. Almost like the skeleton of this game has been done for nearly a decade, and it's just been languishing on the operating table on more superficial levels for that long waiting to finally get the green light to get put out.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

I just wanted to trigger pierrot by mentioning that I just got Dural Gold again on my new Shenmue save, on December 6th (so no supposed bonus) using only 1 Winning Can in about 30 minutes and in 10 or so trades.

I was trying for one of the Mr. Yukawa figures, in order to the get the bonus scene at the 9th of December this time instead of waiting until January.

Funnily enough, I accounted for this eventuality in my guide as I was writing it, and I specifically mention that if you luck out while trying for one of the Mr. Yukawa figures, and you get Dural Gold, you should keep it. I just didn't think it would actually happen to me...

And this happened right on the cusp of the 'Charlie Night' which I'll be doing for the third time at this point, so I'm otherwise trudging along, slowly but oh so very efficiently.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Arenegeth wrote:I just wanted to trigger pierrot by mentioning that I just got Dural Gold again on my new Shenmue save, on December 6th (so no supposed bonus) using only 1 Winning Can in about 30 minutes and in 10 or so trades.

Hax! Fake news! I still refuse to believe that it exists.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I finished Kingdom Hearts 3 just now. This game is really for folks that have played all the previous games or watched them in movie form from the PS3/PS4 collections. I don't know how anyone else could enjoy the story otherwise - it is far too messy and convoluted. You have to contend with lots of time travel, people with multiple aliases, and people with multiple versions of themselves. It can by trying at times to wrap your head around it.

I enjoyed the gameplay after knocking out 2 or 3 worlds. Sora was de-powered at the end of Dream Drop Distance so there isn't enough complexity early on in KH3 to keep veterans interested. The worlds that I found the most engaging were the ones that told an original story and didn't just retread what happened in the movie that inspired the world. My favorite battle system from the Kingdom Hearts series was in Birth By Sleep. KH3 seems like a mix of BBS and DDD.

In my opinion the visuals were great. I was playing in 4K on a PS4 Pro. Whether you like Nomura or hate him, he can certainly craft some grand spectacles. I didn't have a problem with the voice acting but a lot of the dialogue is admittedly cringe worthy. But the other games in the series are guilty of the same so I was expecting it. The only jarring bits of voice acting was due to actors that had to be replaced because they passed away. RIP Leonard Nimoy, Alan Young (Scrooge), and Ken Sansom (Rabbit). I was surprised to see who they got to replace Nimoy. He did a fine job but no one can replace Nimoy's gravely voice.

Overall I am satisfied with the game. It tied up most plot points but left a few unresolved, presumably so that they can continue the series. This should come as no surprise as Nomura has stated that this wouldn't be the last KH game.

Now for some ending discussion. Entering MAJOR SPOILER territory below. You have been warned.

I heard that this was supposed to be the end of Sora's story. Whoever said that was lying. There is no way that this is the end of Sora's story. Possibly the end of Xehanort's but definitely not Sora or Kairi.

The epilogue had a really good twist that I was not expecting. Turns out that the mobile game Union Cross was really important to the overall story and not mostly throwaway plot points like Coded was.

The secret ending, which I watched on Youtube, was interesting. Sora and Riku show up in Shibuya for some unknown reason and there are two other people hanging out on rooftops. One looks a little like Riku but has heterochromia. I think this was the video game character that was present in the Toy Story world. The other is yet another black robed and hooded figure that is looking up at the moon. The figure makes a heart shape with his/her hands and overlaps them with his/her perspective of the moon (making it look like Kingdom Hearts - the object that Xehanort was obsessed with).

The secret endings in previous games always have something to do with the next game. KH1's secret ending foretold some of the events of Chain of Memories & 358/2 Days. KH2's secret ending foretold the events of Birth By Sleep. I think we are going to see the return of The World Ends With You characters in the next KH installment.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Fastbilly and my buddy Xen got me into Destiny 2, which is where I've been lately. Still an FPS, but this game sucks me in and makes me lose track of time a lot, so...yeah.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Got a lot going on right now. I’m still working away on Detective Pikachu (3DS). I’m six chapters in, and I want to beat it before the movie’s released in May. I’m also taking my time with LoZ: The Skyward Sword (Wii). I’m about 15 hours into it, and I’ll beat it someday. I’m also working my way through the Gameboy Mega Man games. They’re awesome, and I’ll probably wrap them up in short order. Finally, I’m working my way, very slowly, through Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS), which has already secured a spot as my favorite Picross game.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I started Shining in the Darkness on the Sega Genesis this evening!

I have beaten both of the Shining Force games and I picked this one up because I wanted to continue the series. I have never experienced a first person dungeon crawler PC style RPG like this before, so I was a little bit nervous going into the game.

So far, I am enjoying my experience. Obviously, there is a ton of grinding and many random battles. But, it hasn't been too bad. Took me a bit to wrap my head around the world and interface, but I think I got a handle on it. I'm praying for a quick exit out of the dungeon and I hope that comes sooner rather than later.

It hasn't wowed me yet, but I have been pleasantly surprised.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I am jiggling 3 games right now and am loving each one for their own unique reasons.

The first game I'm playing is wargroove on the switch. This advanced wars inspired fantasy tactical rpg is chock full of charm. In the story mode you play as a newly crowned queen whose father was killed by an opposing nation. You are forced to flee the kingdom and figure out why your father was killed and stop the evil forces from uncovering a powerful weapon.

This game is a ton of fun because the combat encounters feature a broad depth of challenge and win requirements. There are missions that involve rescuing prisoners, evacuating villagers and protecting them from oncoming forces, explore forests and avoid surprise attack in a fog of war heavy map and one specific encounter that was literally a survive waves and waves of enemies that was insanely challenging that I won by the skin of my teeth.

The game also features an arcade mode where you participate in a series of faster skirmishes that net you music you can use in the campaign creator. Included as well is a puzzle mode where you must defeat the enemy in a single turn. It is easy at first but can be mindbending in later levels.

The big draw for me is the campaign creator. The game offers you such a broad set of tools that make designing maps an absolute breeze. It sets up flags and basic coding as super easy to grasp and I was shocked as to how easy it was to make complex battle scenarios with little effort.

You can create various win scenarios in a battle, offer branching campaign paths and also create and animate cutscenes with an insanely robust set of tools that is, again, easy to use. I am in love with this game.

The second game I am playing is Dot Hack GU on the PC. I found the HD remaster of the series on sale for steam and immediately had to pick it up. I am a giant fan of the original series and GU is not disappointing. This game features so many improvements over the first with a more engaged combat system, streamlined dungeons with a diverse number of area goals and quests, more sprawling hub worlds, an arena, a guild management system, a personal shop system and so much more.

The game still keeps the awesome desktop much like the original where you read up on real world news, read and participate in forum posts, exchange emails and build online relationships. I loved this detail in the original series and am super happy that the gu series continues that.

The only thing that bothers me in this game is that the lead protagonist is the biggest asshole on the planet. I know that the reason is to show him turning around and enjoying the game and making real friends, but he is a dismissive little shit that complains endlessly and is rude and emotionally abusive to everyone he interacts with. I can not express how much I HATE the main character. Outside of that I love all of the other cast members and their wild character designs. The game has tons of mystery and is strongly connected to the original series. I am hooked.

Last, but certainly not least, I fired up an old defunct mmorpg called Castle Infinity. It was a rocky start as the update server was having issues, but last night they were resolved and I was able to log in with ease.

This game is a puzzle platformer from 1997 which was geared towards a younger audience. The plot is insane as dinosaurs built a virtual castle eons ago to protect themselves from warring monsters who smashed a giant meteor into the earth. Only now, with the invention of the internet did we discover this castle and have explored it in an attempt to destroy monsters and save the dinosaurs. It... Is... Weird.

The actual gameplay is pretty cool. You make an avatar that is comprised of various parts which you can discover and unlock more parts as you progress. The game itself features a lot of platforming that is mostly responsive and fun to do. The levels and areas are massive with a lot to interact with and tons of puzzles that require the help of others. I have only just started playing so I mainly did the tutorial and explored the social hub.. Which was empty. Still there was a lot to do and it seems the folks keeping the game alive really care about it and there is a huge nostalgic fan base... Just no one playing.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'm playing Octopath Traveler which, according to the internet, is the most sexist game ever made. Personally, I figured that would be something like Onechanbara or Custer's Revenge, but who am I to argue with Tumblr?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.