Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm

pook99 wrote:Currently playing God of War on PS4 again, in the past I could not get into the game at all but decided to give it another go and I am really enjoying it. I am not sure what changed, I bought the game day one(which is rare for me) and was super hyped for it. Played it for a bit but never enjoyed it, I would go back every couple of weeks and play for a short time, disliking it each time I played.

Decided to fire it up one last time on New Years day and I got super into it, I don't know why I didnt like it in the past but I'm glad I gave it another chance.

Most times, I find that the environment around me just isn't conducive to a specific game. My mind is distracted, I can't dedicate time to it or there are other real-world issues pressing on me. Sometimes it is just personal desire, where you were hyped and then kind of burnt out by the time it got in your hands. A lot of folks never get to the second stage of the retry and it is a shame. We act like our experiences are some rigid, set in stone, unchanging moment when in reality, our perspectives shift and change and things we may not have liked, could turn into some of our most favorite moments.

I know that was the case for me with Shenmue. Fun fact folks, I hated that game when I first played it. I found it dull and unplayable. Now it is seriously my second most favorite game of all time. The same can be applied to other games like Samba De Amigo, Space Channel 5, Final Fantasy IX and Metal Gear Solid. All games that I just despised at first and did not click with me in the least and later become some of my personal favorites. So I salute you Pook for giving it another shot and finding entertainment in it. I hear that God of War is an absolutely spectacular game and one I hope to play when I finally get a PS4.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
pook99
24-bit

by pook99 Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
pook99 wrote:Currently playing God of War on PS4 again, in the past I could not get into the game at all but decided to give it another go and I am really enjoying it. I am not sure what changed, I bought the game day one(which is rare for me) and was super hyped for it. Played it for a bit but never enjoyed it, I would go back every couple of weeks and play for a short time, disliking it each time I played.

Decided to fire it up one last time on New Years day and I got super into it, I don't know why I didnt like it in the past but I'm glad I gave it another chance.

Most times, I find that the environment around me just isn't conducive to a specific game. My mind is distracted, I can't dedicate time to it or there are other real-world issues pressing on me. Sometimes it is just personal desire, where you were hyped and then kind of burnt out by the time it got in your hands. A lot of folks never get to the second stage of the retry and it is a shame. We act like our experiences are some rigid, set in stone, unchanging moment when in reality, our perspectives shift and change and things we may not have liked, could turn into some of our most favorite moments.

I know that was the case for me with Shenmue. Fun fact folks, I hated that game when I first played it. I found it dull and unplayable. Now it is seriously my second most favorite game of all time. The same can be applied to other games like Samba De Amigo, Space Channel 5, Final Fantasy IX and Metal Gear Solid. All games that I just despised at first and did not click with me in the least and later become some of my personal favorites. So I salute you Pook for giving it another shot and finding entertainment in it. I hear that God of War is an absolutely spectacular game and one I hope to play when I finally get a PS4.

Its funny what you said about Shenmue, I had a similar experience with a game called Wings of vii. It is an indie game that is probably the hardest game I ever played. The first time I played it I was in a bad head space and got easily frustrated and completely hated it. Decided to give it another go a few months later and to this day it is probably my all time favorite indie game. It's amazing what a difference approaching a game at a different time can make.
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 pm

pierrot wrote:By the way, did you get one of each of the Yukawa figures to encounter him in the restaurant on Christmas? I can't remember if that was removed for the Western releases or not. I remember reading that if you have more than one of each, he doesn't appear, or has a lower chance of showing up, or something like that, though.

I wasn't aware of those appearances, and none of the guides I looked into mentioned them, so thanks for bringing it up.

So I did look into it, and it looks like there's two appearances of Mr. Yukawa in the game.

One happens in the Yokosuka Bar the night where your friends come to visit (I'm already passed that point in this save) and the other is at the Sushi Restaurant at the 9th of each month (any month). There's no mention of any encounter at Christmas.

I couldn't find any confirmation that the Bar scene is in the western versions of the game, all the videos online seem to be from the Japanese version. But I do distinctly remember there was some dude sitting next to Akemi during that scene when I did it, so it doesn't look like this appearance is missable or in any way affected by possession of any of the figures (had 0 at the time). But the scene itself is pretty easily missable, but of course since I'm actively going after all the missable scenes, I didn't miss it.

The Sushi encounter is in the western versions, but it doesn't play out properly like in the Japanese version, you just see him, press A and then he runs away with no dialogue.

Apparently, having more than one of each figure may mess up the chance of him showing up, but having one of each guarantees it, as you surmised. Though there was a low chance of me having more than one of any of the raffle figures since I save scum them to preserve time/money.

Both encounters play properly in the western HD version apparently, probably due to the addition of the Japanese voice track for Shenmue I.

I have now a single copy of both figures, and I'll wait until the 9th of January to get the second appearance. Though this is more of an Easter Egg than a missable scene, especially the way it plays out in the western version.

Other than that, I'm trying to get Dural Silver while I still have the Christmas day supposed bonus (well it worked for Gold) but I only have 3 cans to cycle through instead of 5 due to the ones spend on Gold previously and the two Mr. Yukawa figures. I'm at the point where I'm supposed to take the Phoenix Mirror to Master Chen so I'm about to solve my money problems, but currently I barely have enough for the bus fare so I'm keeping it tight. If I have the cans to spare I may attempt to get one or both of the Saturn games from the Tomato Mart Raffle, especially since I already don't have enough time to fully max out a move by training today, so I may as well spend the time on save scumming raffles, since I'll have to do that at some point anyway.
Tiduas
16-bit

by Tiduas Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 pm

So I recently wanted to start with my Japanese studies again. I went straight into Super Robot Taisen Alpha 3 on the PS2, although it went quite well I still had to struggle a little bit too much with some pronunciations on many words that I should remember but didn't which made the reading twitchy to say the least.

Two chapters into the game, I instead decided to go a route with more voice acting while still keeping the Japanese level on about the same level (with both wacky scenarios as well as some political conflicts etc.). That's when I started with Tales of Rebirth for the same format! As the game is completely voiced throughout the story, it helps with my previous problem regarding the pronunciations with words I know the meaning to. There's also a severe amount of non-voiced dialogue in the cities for just practicing reading without any "cheating".

In fact, Tales of Rebirth houses one of the most insane amount of descriptive texts I've ever seen in a traditional JRPG. When you enter a house for example, there exists paintings, drawers and tables with "nonsense" stuff on them like teacups, food or decorative objects. I would say that about 70% of these have descriptive texts to them describing the smell, what they remind of or just how they are a solid foundation to what build the current city that the party resides in! These are however written with a much more book-ish feeling which also makes reading them a bit trickier so I haven't given them too much attention as I want to preserve my learning energy to actually progressing through the story.

I have only gotten a few hours into the game, so my party still only consists of three party members (Vague, Eugene and Mao). The dynamic between these three are actually quite nice and strikes a good balance between being serious and whacky. I have a hard time with 3D Tales of whackiness as it many times just feels out of place and unnatural, but in 2D I think it's just a little bit more cute. The story that goes on at the moment is also engaging to the point that I actually care about what happens.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and has aged like a fine old wine. I dare to say that it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The 2D sprite art are amazing, but what really gets me are the ridiculous background art in both towns, dungeons and inside locations. Almost nothing is reused (so far), and most of it is just pixelated godness. It's up there fighting with the Metal Slug titles, but judging by the length of the game (which I guess will go on for a while as with most JRPGS) compared to a Metal Slug title, I'm even more impressed with how much care went into the creating of the graphical assets.

Fighting is already quite engaging with a few systems to mess around with outside of battle. I tend to like taking the battle to the menues, so it fits me quite well. I strongly remembering Tales of Eternia being just okay through half of the game battlewise, but then going full turbo into AwesomeLand through the second half of it. I'm wondering if Rebirth will continue to develop in the same fashion?

I am still naively believing that I will finish this game judging by how much I like it now. I sure it doesn't let me down anytime soon.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:10 am

Tales is one of my favorite series for practicing Japanese in! Precisely because of how you mention that the whole story is always VA'd. It really helps get around not knowing how to pronounce certain kanji. I really like playing the Yakuza games to practice my Japanese for the same reason ^w^

-----

I started God of War on PS4 at a friend's house today. I'm really enjoying it! It's certainly very different from the old ones, but I never really liked the old ones (anything about them, really Xp), so that doesn't really bother me :P . At the same time, I do have a friend who really liked the old ones and is quite disappointed that the new one is such a different game to those, so I can't help but feel for him.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
TSchwa

by TSchwa Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:01 pm

I play several games at the same time usually. However, there are some things that I play all the time, like Lineade 2 Classic. Play it now to take a break from Hitman, decided to challenge myself and complete all the missions (or rmost of them) with a screwdriver or a knife haha.
Kowalski
8-bit

by Kowalski Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 am

TSchwa wrote:I play several games at the same time usually. However, there are some things that I play all the time, like Lineade 2 Classic. Play it now to take a break from Hitman, decided to challenge myself and complete all the missions (or rmost of them) with a screwdriver or a knife haha.

Lineage Classic is an MMO, that's a common thing for MMO games :)
ayumarcan
8-bit

by ayumarcan Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:25 pm

TSchwa wrote:I play several games at the same time usually. However, there are some things that I play all the time, like Lineade 2 Classic. Play it now to take a break from Hitman, decided to challenge myself and complete all the missions (or rmost of them) with a screwdriver or a knife haha.

That's a tough thing to do in Hitman! But Lineage 2 Classic is a realy nice way to relax, this is what I got as my first impressions of this game
Last edited by ayumarcan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 am

I'm playing a mix of stuff right now:

Ziggurat - a roguelike FPS that requires multiple playthroughs to get the full experience.
Inquisitor - a 100+ hour action RPG that is challenging and dark.
Wolfenstein 3D: The Ultimate Challenge - the last of the Wolf 3D expansions, though not much has changed from the previous expansion. It feels like a rehash, and I'll be happy to finish it.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 pm

pook99 wrote:Currently playing God of War on PS4 again, in the past I could not get into the game at all but decided to give it another go and I am really enjoying it.

I got so far as popping the disc in my PS4 Pro so it'd install. :lol:

Then I went back to playing FFXI (finished 99 Daurdabla on one of my alts, for those who know what that is...both of you...).

Actually, I did finishing Shadow of the Tomb Raider over the weekend too, which was great for fans of the previous two like it.
Return to General Gaming