Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Arenegeth
24-bit

Re: What are you playing?

by Arenegeth Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:00 am

pierrot wrote:I forgot to mention this earlier. I spent an enormous amount of time on this, with many, many failed attempts, but it is possible. I was able to get all the entries for that night.

Thank you very much for letting me know about this. The guide I followed, which seems to be the only Shenmue I dedicated Notebook guide online (in English anyway), mentioned that the entry at the Arcade, is impossible to get at the same day as the Parking Lot brawl and the Tattoo Parlor entry. That is not true, you have to speak to the Arcade owner several times, but it unlocks (as is seen in the video you linked to and confirmed by me right after), and is in fact, due to proximity, the first entry to get for this night.

This makes the guide very unreliable, so now I'm wondering if the other earlier two entries are possible to get. Well one of them definitely isn't. The gap after the 3 Blades entry is truly a formatting gap, maybe due to the English translation, as I checked the Notebook script directly ripped from the game and there's nothing there.

The one with the Cat though I'm unsure of, the guide says if you give the dry fish to the Cat you get one entry, and if you give the Tofu and talk to the two gossiping ladies in Sakuragaoka you get the other. Now I'm not sure if it is possible to get both entries.

pierrot wrote:I don't know if the guide you're using says this, but you don't actually need to let any of the people you talk to finish their dialogue, when resetting the fortune teller.

It doesn't, but I figured that out partly myself while trying to rush this night. However, can I just start a conversation with a second part (where you have to press A to continue) and cancel before that part? I just did some testing and it seems that a random street drunk, and the long haired guy that's always a jerk in the Nagai industries, count for the Fortune Teller even if they don't say anything specific to the Parlor/Hights, at least one of them does anyway, since I also spoke to the two Chinese bar patrons during that interval.

Of course all this is moot in the short term and I have to restart my playthrough anyway, because apparently, I shouldn't have picked up the key from Iwao's desk back at the Hazuki Household, since it affects an entry later in the game. Though the guide mentions it affects an entry early in the game, it doesn't mention the entry much later in the game where the whole basement section plays out.

I had the inclination to restart anyway, since I was very inefficient with my time, partially because I enjoy exploring the gameworld, partially because I was re-familiarizing myself with the controls and the game again, and partially because I thought I had more than enough time with the April cut-off point, but now that it switched to early February, I'm pressed to be more efficient with my time and money.

pierrot wrote:What are these, I must know!

Well according to this thread over at the Shenmue Jojo, at the dates of Dec. 24 & 25, Jan. 1 - 4, Feb. 14, March 14 the chances of winning at the raffle doubles.

The information is supposed to come from one of the Japanese guides. However someone in that topic did some testing, and figured out that Christmas in particular may have a better chance than the rest, of the so called 'lucky days', since he/she managed to get a Dural Gold twice in the same day. I was saving cans to do my own testing when I got to Christmas, but now that has to wait for my new playthrough.

I'm glad I caught all these issues early in Disc 1 since I haven't spend all that much time in the game yet, and I can go back where I was pretty quick, especially if I ignore everything but the Notebook entries and the optional cutscenes. I will be spending my early money only on scrolls, the Fortune Teller and the Tomato Mart tapes before they cycle out for the next week. I should save all the collectable/arcade/slot stuff after I get a job and have no problem with the money, I can also keep resetting for those.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Arenegeth, is this your first time playing Shenmue? How are you liking it so far? Are you having fun?

No, this is technically my second time playing the game. I say technically because I remember restarting and fooling around a bit back when I originally finished it, which if my original save date is anything to go by was in late 2000, so right at the month of the EU release.

As for having fun? Well my current completionist playthrough doesn't allow me to explore much, and I really like checking every detail in every place, but other than that, yeah is pretty fun going back to Yokosuka after all these years.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:10 am

Good! As long as you are having fun, I approve of your approach. Although I am baffled personally at the completionist mentality, as long as you are enjoying it, I applaud your tenacity! Keep up the good work and keep up with the updates, because I may finally understand and respect it. If you pull of a journal run in Shenmue I can only tip my cap at you and commend you for hardcore rocking one of my all time favorite games.

Just know that a complete journal run in Shenmue 2 is actually impossible, so maybe focus on the collection, unlocking and beating all the games and unlocking all of the secret events like the duck races and the fight club and the insanely difficult ultimate move scroll!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am

My daughter and I finished a co-op playthrough of Kirby's Epic Yarn the other day. Now we're a couple of hours into Return to Dreamland.

Now, while I've played a bunch of Yarn (single-player) in the past, this is my first time with Dreamland. What a fantastic game! Perfect for playing with a young kid; much like Yarn if the second player gets too far behind they're immediately teleported right to player one. Of course, this one is a more "traditional" type of platformer. You can still lose, but it's very very easy overall.

Kirby is probably the strongest platformer series from the 5th gen forward (I'm one of those people that prefers Kirby 64 to Mario 64).
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:43 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:My daughter and I finished a co-op playthrough of Kirby's Epic Yarn the other day. Now we're a couple of hours into Return to Dreamland.

Man, I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn, when I played it. I don't even care that it's babby-level easy. I had so much fun playing it. I never wanted to pay full price for Return to Dreamland, so I never ended up actually getting it. Seems like it might be worth playing, though.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Kirby is probably the strongest platformer series from the 5th gen forward (I'm one of those people that prefers Kirby 64 to Mario 64).

Bone, bruh--. Stop making me agree with you.

Arenegeth wrote:The guide I followed, which seems to be the only Shenmue I dedicated Notebook guide online (in English anyway), mentioned that the entry at the Arcade, is impossible to get at the same day as the Parking Lot brawl and the Tattoo Parlor entry.

Oh~. That comment on the video makes a lot more sense now. I don't remember ever getting a notification for it, and I've been scratching my head a bit, over the last couple days, trying to make sense of it. Now I get it.

Arenegeth wrote:The one with the Cat though I'm unsure of, the guide says if you give the dry fish to the Cat you get one entry, and if you give the Tofu and talk to the two gossiping ladies in Sakuragaoka you get the other. Now I'm not sure if it is possible to get both entries.

There shouldn't be anything missed if you give tofu to the cat. If you give her the dried fish, Megumi will just tell you about Yamagishi, and the note to talk with Sumiya will be lost. So you have to give the cat the fried tofu, then talk with Sumiya, then Yamagishi.

Arenegeth wrote:However, can I just start a conversation with a second part (where you have to press A to continue) and cancel before that part? I just did some testing and it seems that a random street drunk, and the long haired guy that's always a jerk in the Nagai industries, count for the Fortune Teller even if they don't say anything specific to the Parlor/Hights, at least one of them does anyway, since I also spoke to the two Chinese bar patrons during that interval.

I'm not sure i totally understand the question. It's been a while since I had to do it, but I'm fairly certain you can just start a conversation with an NPC, then immediately cancel before hearing any of the dialogue, and it will count as one person toward the counter for the Lapis fortune teller. As far as I'm aware, any NPC will count toward this counter, but the five people at the bar are just the most consistent ones to hit up for the last two fortune entries that night, since there are only a few people roaming the streets at that time.

Arenegeth wrote:Of course all this is moot in the short term and I have to restart my playthrough anyway, because apparently, I shouldn't have picked up the key from Iwao's desk back at the Hazuki Household, since it affects an entry later in the game.

Oof, yeah. There's a few things to really watch out for on a notebook run. Here's what the guide I used has to watch out for:
  1. Don't pick up the mysterious key.
  2. Feed the cat fried tofu (and not the dried fish).
  3. Don't lose at billiards in MJQ.
  4. The night of the sailor fight (all the stuff I copied into my last post).
  5. Don't buy a drink for Won. (This leaves a blank spot in the notebook).
  6. Mess up the passcode when on the phone with #8 Warehouse.
  7. Mentions selecting 'Area' after calling information (104) to get the entry about 61- being the area code for Amihama. You can also get this entry by looking at the phone book at Ryo's place, or at the tobacco shop by the bus stop, though.
  8. Make sure to accept Hisaka's request at the docks. Also you have to make sure to clear the QTE when you first meet Mai, or else you won't be able to deliver the lunch boxes to the old warehouse district. (There's an entry for failing the QTE too, though, so this leaves another blank spot in the notebook.)
  9. Don't solve any of the basement puzzles on your own. Solving the last part without Ine-san's help gives a separate entry that is lost, though. So that's the third and final empty space in a "completed" notebook.
  10. Lose to Chai at the YOU Arcade. I actually went through the trouble of beating him, then restarting, but you have to lose to him to get a couple extra notebook entries.

Arenegeth wrote:I had the inclination to restart anyway, since I was very inefficient with my time, partially because I enjoy exploring the gameworld, partially because I was re-familiarizing myself with the controls and the game again, and partially because I thought I had more than enough time with the April cut-off point, but now that it switched to early February, I'm pressed to be more efficient with my time and money.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I did something similar when I started on the full notebook playthrough. I was happy that there was still often a lot of time to just kind of wander around and chat with people, though. Shenmue can be weirdly addicting to play. Sometimes I just have to go into Bob's Pizza, and talk with my main man, Mario, because his voice actor is hilarious.

Arenegeth wrote:Well according to this thread over at the Shenmue Jojo, at the dates of Dec. 24 & 25, Jan. 1 - 4, Feb. 14, March 14 the chances of winning at the raffle doubles.

The information is supposed to come from one of the Japanese guides. However someone in that topic did some testing, and figured out that Christmas in particular may have a better chance than the rest, of the so called 'lucky days', since he/she managed to get a Dural Gold twice in the same day. I was saving cans to do my own testing when I got to Christmas, but now that has to wait for my new playthrough.

Hmmm, interesting. Seems almost too good to be true, but I might try it. I tend to just buy chocolates for the raffle tickets. I would assume it's cheaper than winning cans, since those are supposedly a 1/4 chance. Also, you might already know this, but keep in mind that once you get a job at the docks, you can't really go to the Abe store anymore.

Arenegeth wrote:As for having fun? Well my current completionist playthrough doesn't allow me to explore much, and I really like checking every detail in every place, but other than that, yeah is pretty fun going back to Yokosuka after all these years.

I found that playing Shenmue for completion made me really appreciate it even that much more. I already loved the game, but a lot of people put a lot of work into that game, and a lot of it can easily go completely unnoticed, depending on how it's played.
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:13 am

OK I started a New Game, got back to where I was in a shorter time and with more stuff done, and managed to do the complete 'Charlie night' run successfully.

pierrot wrote:Oh~. That comment on the video makes a lot more sense now. I don't remember ever getting a notification for it, and I've been scratching my head a bit, over the last couple days, trying to make sense of it. Now I get it.

Yes, technically getting this entry on the same night is a glitch, since he's telling you about the guy that supposedly comes around at 7:00pm when is already past 7:00pm and he is sitting right there! You have to be pretty close to the wall for this to work. So I can't really blame the guy who wrote the guide I was following, since ostensibly he is right, you can't get this entry and the one from the Tattoo Parlor on the same night, and you wouldn't if it didn't glitch out.

pierrot wrote:There shouldn't be anything missed if you give tofu to the cat.

I know that now, and did it the 'right' way in new playthrough. The guide also stated it I just misread it, or most likely was dismayed by Ryo's stupidity in giving the cat Fried Tofu when Dried Fish was available...

pierrot wrote:I'm not sure i totally understand the question.

The guide I was following sates that sometimes you have to specifically inquire a subject and not just talk to random people for a hint to pop up at the Fortune Teller. And in most cases Ryo doesn't even bring the subject up until the transition in the conversation where you have to press 'A' again.

Of course now I know, that at least for the purposes of that night, just talking with people (any people) works, and that talking to the same people also works. That last part was pivotal in making it that night, since I thought you had to talk to different people for the second hint, but revisiting the Yokosuka Bar denizens made this whole thing very possible (I exited the Tattoo Parlor at 11:17pm).

The guide I follow also mentioned talking to three people for every hint, not five, and three people (four if you include the person who gave me the previous entry) has worked for me, so I'm not sure who's right here.

pierrot wrote:Don't buy a drink for Won. (This leaves a blank spot in the notebook).

Who's Won? If that's the guy who works at the Chinese Restaurant then is too late for this playthrough as well, I already bought him a drink from the vending machine the very morning of the Charlie night.

EDIT: I looked into this. And if it is about Wang, it only matters if you buy him a drink around the time you're supposed to get the entry. So it doesn't matter if bought a drink for him prior to that point.

pierrot wrote:Lose to Chai at the YOU Arcade.

That's not happening. This is meant to be a complete playthrough, not 'get Notebook entries at the expense of everything else' playthrough.

Losing the fight for me, means that I don't get to 'complete' the game, just the Notebook (and even that doesn't complete 100% anyway due to other entries). But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Though I did say before I started, that I would have to make concessions when there was a conflict between Notebook entries and other stuff.

pierrot wrote:Also, you might already know this, but keep in mind that once you get a job at the docks, you can't really go to the Abe store anymore.

I don't quite remember what happens actually, I remember the game rushing you, but I have forgotten the details. I guess I can always dally around at the end of Disc 1 or 2 until Christmas comes along and clean house then. I should probably look into this in advance though.

By the way, can you link to the whole guide you posted that excerpt from? It was a great help in getting through that night, and Google Translate did a good job of making sense of it, I could at least use it to supplement the English guide.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:10 am

A friend talked me into finally picking up a NES Classic yesterday and I absolutely love it and can't believe I took so long to get one :lol: . I just can't believe this thing is JUST $60!

Anyway, I booted up Mario 2 (USA) on it yesterday and played until I got my first game over. Got to 4-2 playing as only Luigi, and MAN to hell with the damn pixie onslaught on that level. I played it a LOT on the GBA growing up, but I guess I forgot just how much Mario 2 HATES you :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Princess.

Whole game.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Arenegeth wrote:managed to do the complete 'Charlie night' run successfully.

Nice! Congrats! Depending on who you ask, that might be the toughest thing to do in Shenmue. I personally feel like beating Hang On is probably tougher, but that might just be me.

Arenegeth wrote:if it didn't glitch out.

Oh, I had definitely forgotten that it was a glitch--. I just reread that section of the guide. That's crazy.

Arenegeth wrote:dismayed by Ryo's stupidity in giving the cat Fried Tofu when Dried Fish was available...

I find it kind of funny how Ryo seems like more of a sociopath on a full notebook playthrough. :lol:

Arenegeth wrote:Who's Won?

Yeah, sorry. I forget the Chinese names, because they're given Japanese pronunciations in the Japanese version (Lan Di is 'Lan Tei,' for instance). It is the delivery guy for the Chinese restaurant.

Arenegeth wrote:Chai

Yeah, I know what you mean. I went with what would ultimately be recorded on the save file, which was all the notebook entries. Winning against Chai doesn't really do anything other than give a personal badge of honor, and some extra gaps in the notebook. I still beat him, it just wasn't part of the save file I ultimately kept with.

Arenegeth wrote:I don't quite remember what happens actually, I remember the game rushing you, but I have forgotten the details.

I'm pretty sure, although I also don't entirely recall, that once you have the job, the game basically immediately puts you on the bus to the harbor after getting up, and by the time you can return to Sakuragaoka, the Abe store is already closed. The guide I used recommends doing a lot of stuff, like getting the four certificates, between buying the boat ticket, and starting the job at the docks.

Speaking of, here's the main page (which is actually a Shenmue I and Shenmue II guide):
http://shenmue.fc2web.com/

This is the page with tips for the notebook entries:
http://shenmue.fc2web.com/shenmue01_00.html

A page on (mostly) capsule toys:
http://shenmue.fc2web.com/shenmue01_gacha01.html

Scenario items and cassette tapes:
http://shenmue.fc2web.com/shenmue01_item01.html

Scrolls and battle training:
http://shenmue.fc2web.com/waza01.html
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:48 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Princess.

Whole game.

I mean that's the obvious easiest choice. I wanted to spice things up a bit this time XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
24-bit

by Note Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:21 pm

I've been playing Super Metroid on the SNES Classic. Have this cartridge from when it came out, but never finished the game. I'm pretty far into it, about to finish up the Wrecked Ship area and head to Maridia. It's been convenient playing with the rewind feature and save states, as some areas definitely gave me trouble.

Also, been playing Star Fox 64 on my CRT TV. Just a game that's easy to pick up and play, and get into without much time needed. Finished the game the other night, and somehow managed to top my score from back in the day.

Another game I've been playing on my CRT is Time Crisis. Still have the game with the big box and Guncon from when it was released. Was able to finish it too, another game that's easy to pick up and with a high replay value. Probably my favorite light gun game.

Next week, I'm hoping to finish Super Metroid and either play through Super Mario RPG again with the SNES Classic or get into Shadow of Colossus, which I just picked up for PS2.
Return to General Gaming