Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
128-bit

Re: What are you playing?

by Markies Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:22 am

Nintendork666 wrote:Doesn't Wild Arms have a very similar battle style? I cant remember, I only played 3 when I was younger and didn't get too far

Not really.

Wild Arms is much more of the traditional turn based battle system. Wild Arms 3 looks like it is similar to Grandia, but that is just window dressing. They are running around on the battlefield for no reason at all.

Grandia actually uses distance and timing into battle. Your attack will go off quicker if you are closer to the enemy. Also, if you attack when they are about to attack, you will cancel their attack.

But, Grandia II is an amazing game. I played through the PS2 and DreamCast versions. The DC is better, but the PS2 is acceptable in a pinch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started Destroy All Humans! on the Microsoft XBOX this evening!

I love the 1950's, so to finally play a game in that decade is just fantastic. The aesthetic is beautiful and I love all the different characters running around. I also very much like the mission style format of Grand Theft Auto and this very similar to it. I really liked the writing of the game as it had some genuinely funny moments from the beginning.

I wish the stealth was a bit better as he is no Solid Snake. Also, there are a ton of different moves and it was getting a bit confusing after a while. I enjoyed it much more when it was just blowing buildings up with my UFO and shooting people with my ray gun.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Spider-Man (PS4). I've done more side work - back packs, landmarks, etc. - than I have with the main mission.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Right now, I’m playing Monster World IV (Genesis) and Detective Pikachu (3DS). I’m not writing about them much, however, because they are both just OK. Monster World IV (Genesis) looks fantastic, but the gameplay and level design is pretty ho hum. Detective Pikachu is a bizarre premise - which I enjoy - but the gameplay is just walking around and talking to people. While it’s a lot better than To the Moon, I haven’t been that impressed with it yet.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:01 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Right now, I’m playing Monster World IV (Genesis) and Detective Pikachu (3DS). I’m not writing about them much, however, because they are both just OK. Monster World IV (Genesis) looks fantastic, but the gameplay and level design is pretty ho hum. Detective Pikachu is a bizarre premise - which I enjoy - but the gameplay is just walking around and talking to people. While it’s a lot better than To the Moon, I haven’t been that impressed with it yet.

This whole post cuts me deep man.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:09 am

:lol:

I’m in the annoying Ice Pyramid section of Monster World IV; so, maybe that explains it?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:28 am

Been playing Axiom Verge this week, and I just can't seem to love it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 am

But do you like it? There are very few games I really love, and liking one is a victory in my book. (Not every game is going to be Metroid Prime...)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am

I've started up Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I've been putting it off for months because it felt like such a time commitment, but I needn't have worried. I'm about 14 hours in and having a great time.

I've resigned myself that between this and Smash Bros I probably won't be playing any other games for the next year or so.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:53 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:But do you like it? There are very few games I really love, and liking one is a victory in my book. (Not every game is going to be Metroid Prime...)

Kind of? It just makes me want to play Super Metroid instead though.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:09 pm

noiseredux wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:But do you like it? There are very few games I really love, and liking one is a victory in my book. (Not every game is going to be Metroid Prime...)

Kind of? It just makes me want to play Super Metroid instead though.

I had the same experience. It's ok and ok is not enough to spend time with something with the rate that games are entering my backlog. It's a list of: if this one thing was a little bit better I might stick it out. If the story was more interesting, if the gameplay was a little more tight, if the style was a little more engaging, if the graphical style wasn't quite so chunky ...

Oh well. It's worth playing for a couple of hours if you can get it for cheap. It is definitely a love letter to Metroid.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Return to General Gaming