Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: What are you playing?

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 am

About to finish Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise's main story, it would seem. The final chapter really snuck up on me, tbh. Like, if I hadn't been muckin' around hunting for side-stuff to do SO much, I probably could've gotten through the main story in less than 10 hours. Some chapters are literally just one boss fight. This has been a very odd Yakuza spin-off, but not really an all bad one. It does seem like there have been sacrifices narratively for the sake of incorporating FotNS's universe as a compelling story surrounding one city location, but the combat is freaking AWESOME, so the game is certainly mechanically compelling where it counts. I haven't even found HALF the side missions yet though, so I gotta imagine there's a fair amount of content post chapter 10.

I'm also playing 3D Picross Round 2 on my 3DS, and this game is SO fun! It's 3D Picross, but now two colors you're playing around instead of 1, so the whole dynamic of how not just Picross but 3D Picross shifts. This is in addition to tiny cool things like 3 selectable difficulties, and the game will even tell you which default one it picked for you depending on how well you handled the tutorial. It's just a really well made little Picross game, and the music is also really good, which is a nice bonus ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21071
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: What are you playing?

by Ack Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:27 am

I'm making progress in Starship Titanic after not having played it in a while, but it takes some getting used to. For one, there is a lot that doesn't seem to get explained, so I'm figuring out controls as I go along. I realized tonight that I could actually save locations in the ship and store the location record to remind myself where to go; that would have been helpful earlier. There are also some annoying layout issues since there are four elevators. They take you to locked off sections of different floors, so you have to be sure you have the right one before heading down. And don't bother asking the elevator about it; he'd prefer to talk about his days in the service and the war.

From what I have gathered, I have to collect the parts of the ship's central computer. It seems sabotage by the assistants to the main designer is afoot. As of now, I have both of the computer's eyes, a nose, an ear, and a few fuses. I also just got a robot bartender drunk with something involving a broken TV and a bunch of birds I may have *accidentally* pureed in a high-speed fan.

Oh, and then there is John Cleese...or rather, a bomb voiced by John Cleese. It insults you while you try to solve it. Just remember, folks, nobody likes a smart ass.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14383
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: What are you playing?

by Xeogred Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:About to finish Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise's main story, it would seem. The final chapter really snuck up on me, tbh. Like, if I hadn't been muckin' around hunting for side-stuff to do SO much, I probably could've gotten through the main story in less than 10 hours. Some chapters are literally just one boss fight. This has been a very odd Yakuza spin-off, but not really an all bad one. It does seem like there have been sacrifices narratively for the sake of incorporating FotNS's universe as a compelling story surrounding one city location, but the combat is freaking AWESOME, so the game is certainly mechanically compelling where it counts. I haven't even found HALF the side missions yet though, so I gotta imagine there's a fair amount of content post chapter 10.

As awesome as Lost Paradise looks (and I'm a fan of the original anime), I might have to hold off on this one for awhile. After playing through four Yakuza games in the span of just this year and last... I need a serious break from these games. :lol:

I'm mainly playing Soul Calibur 6 and Xenoblade 2 Torna lately. I thought Xenoblade had some fans here but I've seen nobody talk about Torna, which might have the best combat in the entire Xeno-verse. They finally perfected the gameplay with this one. God tier OST too. I might even 100% this one, which will probably only run me about ~40 hours most I'd think. I kind of like how this one is a bit more bite sized... compared to the others at least.

I still haven't played X and have a feeling it might be hard to go back to after 2 and Torna.
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: What are you playing?

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Xeogred wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:About to finish Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise's main story, it would seem. The final chapter really snuck up on me, tbh. Like, if I hadn't been muckin' around hunting for side-stuff to do SO much, I probably could've gotten through the main story in less than 10 hours. Some chapters are literally just one boss fight. This has been a very odd Yakuza spin-off, but not really an all bad one. It does seem like there have been sacrifices narratively for the sake of incorporating FotNS's universe as a compelling story surrounding one city location, but the combat is freaking AWESOME, so the game is certainly mechanically compelling where it counts. I haven't even found HALF the side missions yet though, so I gotta imagine there's a fair amount of content post chapter 10.

As awesome as Lost Paradise looks (and I'm a fan of the original anime), I might have to hold off on this one for awhile. After playing through four Yakuza games in the span of just this year and last... I need a serious break from these games. :lol:


I mean I was very much in the "Yakuza'd out" camp for the past like year and a half since I beat Yakuza 1 and 2 back to back, so I know what you mean :lol: . I finished the game yesterday and there isn't really an extensive post-game story that I can find anywhere, so those extra sidequests must just be wrapped up in the side-activities I largely ignored like bar-tending and the host club. The story is pretty bad for a Yakuza game, but perhaps it's more par for the course for a FotNS story. I definitely put more blame on the source material's thematic restrictions rather than the Yakuza team's writing as far as the awkardly paced plot is concerned (one chapter's sole story fight is fighting Raoh, for example, and this is a game with 11 chapters). With 4 other Yakuza games on PS4, most of them much below $60 at this point, I'd have a pretty hard time recommending to all but the most astute Yakuza fans or really big FotNS fans. For what it's worth, however, the combat is freaking awesome. The way they mix-up the heat-action system by making those kinds of QTE's contextual based on an enemy's stunned position so you can do tons of FotNS special techniques on them is freaking awesome.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14383
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: What are you playing?

by Xeogred Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 pm

From what I've heard, it unfortunately doesn't follow the story of the manga/anime much at all, which I was really hoping for. The characters are what really make it, no denying the anime is way too long with filler and all... I'd love a more condensed take on the story. But yeah...

The combat and violence definitely looks fun though. I'm sure I'll get around to it someday.
User avatar
Nintendork666
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: What are you playing?

by Nintendork666 Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:57 am

About four hours into Grandia 2 now.I'm playing the HD re-release on Steam.

Image

I never got around to this game when it was originally on Dreamcast. While some of the anime art, and voice acting can be less than to my tastes, I must say that something about the characters and the way they interact with one another has really resonated with me. I didn't expect to get into the story of this game on an emotional level. I'm just a big softie overall, I guess.

Also the combat is top-tier and very fun. Maybe I've been grinding a bit much but overall the game has been very easy so far. I'm hoping for a bump in challenge as I progress further into the campaign.
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: What are you playing?

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:28 am

Xeogred wrote:From what I've heard, it unfortunately doesn't follow the story of the manga/anime much at all, which I was really hoping for. The characters are what really make it, no denying the anime is way too long with filler and all... I'd love a more condensed take on the story. But yeah...

The combat and violence definitely looks fun though. I'm sure I'll get around to it someday.


I mean there are a TON of characters from the original anime (Bat, Rei, Jagi, Raoh, to name a few), and if anything I'd argue TOO many because it means this alt-universe story really can't come into its own because it's such a slave to the bounds of the original content it's tied itself to. If the original series characters are what you're after, they're most certainly there.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38053
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: What are you playing?

by noiseredux Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 am

Nintendork666 wrote:About four hours into Grandia 2 now.I'm playing the HD re-release on Steam.

Image

I never got around to this game when it was originally on Dreamcast. While some of the anime art, and voice acting can be less than to my tastes, I must say that something about the characters and the way they interact with one another has really resonated with me. I didn't expect to get into the story of this game on an emotional level. I'm just a big softie overall, I guess.

Also the combat is top-tier and very fun. Maybe I've been grinding a bit much but overall the game has been very easy so far. I'm hoping for a bump in challenge as I progress further into the campaign.


I love Grandia II. Seriously one of my favorite RPG's of that generation. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Switch port.
Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9498
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: What are you playing?

by marurun Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:57 pm

I think Grandia and Grandia 2 have the best possible RPG combat system. I love the ability to move around the battlefield, even if only to preset locations, and use your placement and enemy placement to see what attacks and spells will affect who, or whether you have to waste your turn running to an enemy because they are too far away to get to and attack in the same turn. The ability to see everyone on the initiative bar and use attacks to slow or stall initiative progress was also very cool.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Nintendork666
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: What are you playing?

by Nintendork666 Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Doesn't Wild Arms have a very similar battle style? I cant remember, I only played 3 when I was younger and didn't get too far
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nemoide and 9 guests