Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:28 pm

SuperDerpBro wrote:PS2 looks so good on a CRT tho.

EDIT: Have you seen this? https://youtu.be/brMW6KFue-I

I know! I’ve always had it hooked up to one. My 150 lb. HD CRT is unplugged until my basement game room is established, however, and I want to play Shadow Tower Abyss right now! :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 pm

So pumped for my girl 2B in Soul Caliber 6.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/10/30/so ... -automata/
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 pm

Getting to the point in Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut where it starts getting a fair bit harder, or at the very least the game is assuming I will play a character other than the main character which is a FOOLISH assumption on its part :lol:

Gotta say though I am not a fan of the bosses who have ONE weakness, block/don't stagger to basically all other attacks, and that one weakness is on ONE member of your party, but because you can't change party members mid-fight you gotta either wait to die or restart the game to actually get a good try at it Xp

I think I'm pretty comfortable at this point saying that this is far from my favorite Tales game, but it's also far from my least favorite. The story is alright but pretty predictable so far. Phantasia didn't really feel quite as ANIME as this did, at least on a character development level. Perhaps Stahn will be a better character later, but he is 100% the archetypal happy-go-lucky wants to do good shonen protagonist so far and he's really not grabbing me. None of the characters are bad so far, but none are terribly interesting. The CC battle system is also confusing at the best of times, and I just really have not clicked with it on on a mechanical level. I'm gonna try and stick it out, but the game isn't really wowing me so far. The Phantasia remake on PSP is still a much higher game on my Best Tales Games list than this at this point and time.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 pm

I started Shattered Union on the Microsoft XBOX this evening!

My friend works in the gaming industry and I am rather proud of all that he has accomplished in his career. He has worked on several games including The Walking Dead series and he has used his perks to get me a ticket to PAX one year. Unfortunately, being a sole Retro Gamer, I have not been able to support him. However, the very first game he ever was a part of was eventually ported to the original XBOX and that is one of the main reasons I bought the console. So, after many years, I finally get to play his very first game.

Shattered Union takes place in a strange place in the future where the country is divided, politics is violent and everywhere and America is broken into several factions. It is incredibly eerie that the game was made in 2005. Now, those factions are vying for control and it's up to you to build your army like Risk and engage in paper/rock/scissors hex based combat.

Honestly, I don't like the story. I play video games to escape real life, not bask in it. That is why I love fantasy games so much. Also, I think the interface is not very user friendly. You can't group troops on your faction screen, I can't figure out where the enemy will show up and I wish the stats of the units were a bit more clear.

Besides that, I was surprisingly liking it. The game very much feels like a Board Game and once I began thinking like that, then I began to really get into it. I'm not a RTS person, but the game is easy enough for a newbie like myself to figure out what is going on. There is a large amount of depth, I like the different factions as they at least treat everybody equally and the battles remind me of a Civilization version of Advance Wars.

I have mostly defended against attacks and sat in the corner while collecting money, but I am interested in going on the attack and seeing more about the game. But, so far so good and a surprisingly good game.
Ack

by Ack Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 pm

I started playing Starship Titanic last night, a point-and-click adventure that uses a text parser written by Douglas Adams. I have known about the game for years and have even read the book which roughly covers the plot, though I am only just now getting around to playing it. So far it makes little sense.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:40 pm

Ack wrote:I started playing Starship Titanic last night, a point-and-click adventure that uses a text parser written by Douglas Adams. I have known about the game for years and have even read the book which roughly covers the plot, though I am only just now getting around to playing it. So far it makes little sense.

I literally found the guide for this, like, last week at a thrift store. Never heard of it before then. Thought it looked interesting. A quick perusal proved that it is definitely...different.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 pm

I started The Simpsons: Road Rage on the Sony Playstation 2 this evening!

So, it's basically a Crazy Taxi clone. It is such a rip off that Sega sued the company and the lawsuit was settled out of court.

The controls are rather fidgety and there is some clipping issues with the game running, but it is still enjoyable. I love Crazy Taxi and I absolutely adore The Simpsons, so I'm very happy.

I needed something to make me smile after playing something so political.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 am

Got the Wipeout Omega Collection to feed my racing game kick. Good stuff. These games really look stunning on the PS4.
Ack

by Ack Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am

Michi wrote:
Ack wrote:I started playing Starship Titanic last night, a point-and-click adventure that uses a text parser written by Douglas Adams. I have known about the game for years and have even read the book which roughly covers the plot, though I am only just now getting around to playing it. So far it makes little sense.

I literally found the guide for this, like, last week at a thrift store. Never heard of it before then. Thought it looked interesting. A quick perusal proved that it is definitely...different.

Different is a good way to describe it. It's an adventure game designed by Douglas Adams that included input from Terry Jones and John Cleese. Also, it features a talking bomb that you can accidentally start counting down from 1000, though if you interact with it, it loses count and has to start over. And there is a parrot. It's a bizarre game.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
akaMike

by akaMike Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:19 am

I started a second playthrough of Fallout 4 for some reason. I plan to replay The Witcher 3 next, even though I have a ginormous backlog at this point. I have a bad tendency to replay the same games over and over again.
Return to General Gaming