Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:53 pm

My taste is games is very much tied to hardware/generation. I prefer retro, and my favorite Zelda games are the first four. If I had to rank them:

A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II

After that everything gets a bit muddled. My least favorite entries are the ones on GameCube, Wii, and DS, and I have yet to really play Breath of the Wild.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Top 5 zelda games are ...

1. Majora's Mask
2. Link's Awakening
3. Breath of the Wild
4. Wind Waker
5. Skyward Sword

..... Link to the Past? May be my least favorite....
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:45 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:..... Link to the Past? May be my least favorite....

weird, dude. How come? Just curious.

For me,

1. Link To The Past - nostalgia of course, and as mentioned spending much of 1994 (I didn't get a SNES right away) playing LTTP really cemented it as something special to me.

2. Breath of The Wild - I really can't believe that I'd call a 2017 Zelda game my second favorite, but here we are. I just feel like it's the most perfectly realized version of the vision of the first Zelda game. And I've written MANY words about what I love about BOTW without ever really nailing what I was trying to say. See: https://noisereduxinstalled.weebly.com/ ... -wild.html

3. Wind Wake - OMG this game is still beautiful. I guess for me a big part was that I was not a N64 fan. And while I *like* Ocarina, and Majora's Mask even more... I think they were fairly ugly games. When Wind Waker came out my jaw dropped. I don't know, cartoon kiddie link seemed to bother some, but I thought that game was a blast. It used to my 2nd favorite.

(this is where it gets more difficult)

4. Link Between Worlds - another weird surprise, but yeah this game was fantastic. And it circles back to the nostalgia. LBW was proof that you can go home again, and I feel like it was a love letter for those (many) fans of LTTP.

5. Link's Awakening - much like how so much of my love of LTTP is wrapped up in a memory of a certain time, Link's Awakening reminds me so much of freshman year of high school. While my GB should have been long in the tooth by this time, it was amazing to me to have this Zelda game that felt so much like the SNES game but that I could carry with me and back and forth between my mom and dad's houses; play at lunch at school; or pop the cartridge into the SNES Super Game Boy and play in glorious color!

Honorable Mentions: The Adventure Of Link was my intro to the series in 1987 and as such is super special to me. Yes it's a black sheep, but I think it's an incredibly awesome game. The original Zelda is unfuckingwithable and the fact that I could think of five others to put before it means a lot.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:53 pm

I beat a link to the past just a few years ago for the first time and felt the world was empty, the secrets still obtuse in the vein of the original zelda and the story lacking and uninteresting. I felt a lot of the items seemed unnecessary or underutilized and the visuals to be, "off."

It did not click with me at all. I am not saying it I'd a bad game by any means, but it doesn't hold any nostalgia with me and was one of the very last zelda games I've played so it doesn't hold up in my eyes.

I don't think people are wrong for loving it, because personal experiences shape how we view things, but the order within which I've beaten zelda games probably plays a huge factor in that.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:11 pm

I understand. Though, having spent SO MUCH time in that world as a kid, it's tough for me to see it as empty at all. I spent hours doing stupid shit like gambling on picking a chest out of three; or doing the little archery mini game and stuff like that. So I always felt that the world had so much going on - granted, I played it after only playing Zelda and Zelda II. I totally understand how impressions of a game can be altered via time and place.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:18 pm

noiseredux wrote:I understand. Though, having spent SO MUCH time in that world as a kid, it's tough for me to see it as empty at all. I spent hours doing stupid shit like gambling on picking a chest out of three; or doing the little archery mini game and stuff like that. So I always felt that the world had so much going on - granted, I played it after only playing Zelda and Zelda II. I totally understand how impressions of a game can be altered via time and place.

Oh yeah, I want to stress that I do not think your feelings are in any way invalid. Your experiences of the game are treasured and rightfully so! The magic and connection you made with it makes it one of your favorites for all the right reasons. There are reasons my top favorite games of all time are games that don't even register on most people's list lies heavily with that idea of how much it connected with me.

Games are awesome... all of them.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:20 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:There are reasons my top favorite games of all time are games that don't even register on most people's list lies heavily with that idea of how much it connected with me.

absolutely. In MY opinion, LJN's Nightmare On Elm Street is one of the absolute best NES games of all time. Seriously.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:35 pm

On the topic of Zelda, I am currently playing through A Link To The Past myself. It's never been one of my favourites either to be honest.

However, I haven't played the game in over 14 years, and for this play through I decided to try something different and use a randomiser. It's completely changed the game for me and I'm having a great time.

I will say that I thoroughly disagree about the secrets being obtuse here - I'm absolutely REQUIRED to discover them right now as any random cave containing 20 rupees could now have a hookshot or bow which is essential to beating the game. The 2D zelda dungeons in this game don't feel as fun, but the overworld exploration is the best it's been in the series, and the randomiser really makes you emphasise that. It's also good for making you revalue items - the biggest missing link for my in terms of making progress right now is the magic lamp - an item you normally get before you even find a sword, but for my run it's yet to be discovered and it's preventing me completing all kinds of places.

What the randomiser also does is make you appreciate how many ways there are to approach things in the game. The second dungeon normally requires the book to open, but I've not found that yet either. However, I do have the flute, the titans mitt and the magic mirror, and using a combination of those 3 I was able to fly to a ledge, lift a rock to open a path to the dark world, walk to the entrance of the temple and then use the magic mirror to return to the light world, completing bypassing the obstacle.

If anyones wondering, I still need to complete these dungeons, and find these weapons and power ups:
Dungeons:
Eastern Palace (yes, the 1st dungeon...the lack of lamps is problematic)
Palace of Darkness (darkness - lamps = no progress)
Misery mire
Turtle rock (I'm missing the cane of somaria too!)

Items:
Book of mudora
Magic lamp
Bug net
Cane of Somaria
Red Mail
Fighters Shield
Mirror Shield
Tempered Sword
Gold Sword
marurun

by marurun Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:03 pm

I don't have a Zelda top 5. I have a top 4.

1. Breath of the Wild
    I have always been drawn to open-world games (as long as they're not asinine), enjoying fare from Bethesda, Arkane, Volition, and many classic PC RPGs. BotW is, to my mind, the perfect encapsulation of one particular style of those games. They are NPC-lite but exploration and discovery heavy. You get guidance, but not too much, and a lot is left blind, for you to have to simply stumble across.
  2. Link to the Past
    For me this was the third Zelda game I played, which makes a lot of sense given the Zelda release timeline. It was really interesting to see more story elements fused with the game and a return to the overhead view. I also feel that, for a 2D Zelda, LttP was about as complex or expansive as I would ever want my 2D Zelda to be. There were times I actually felt some dungeons were too large, or the overworld to be on the verge of too much. I think Nintendo found, pretty much, right where to stop before overdoing it. The portable 2D Zeldas were all, in some form or fashion, too much of one thing or another. Too much item trading. Too much of a step back toward obscure or obtuse solutions to puzzles. My favorite portable Zelda is the GBA port of LttP :wink:
  3. Legend of Zelda
    Yes, it's obtuse. Yes, it can even be cruel in places. But the simple graphics and gameplay actually help get over that. It's not a game anyone ever expected to hold their hand. It's not a step down or a step backwards from anything. In its day and age it was such a step forward. There were other screen-by-screen adventure games, especially on early PCs, where you wandered around finding items to do other things. But Zelda was so cohesive, balancing overworld exploration against the dungeon levels. Nostalgia is real!
  4. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
    Love it! Nintendo was doing some really cool stuff with graphics in this game, like multi-sprite enemies. The music was great. There were RPG elements, magic spells, such a variety of ways to attack. It was great! There was no Zelda orthodoxy at this early point in time, so Zelda could be whatever it wanted or needed to be, and I found this experiment grand.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm

noiseredux wrote:I understand. Though, having spent SO MUCH time in that world as a kid, it's tough for me to see it as empty at all. I spent hours doing stupid shit like gambling on picking a chest out of three; or doing the little archery mini game and stuff like that. So I always felt that the world had so much going on - granted, I played it after only playing Zelda and Zelda II. I totally understand how impressions of a game can be altered via time and place.

Yeah this is where I'm at. I played the games in order ("back in the day") and loved each one. Being a Nintendo Power subscriber also helped -- if I ever got stuck or frustrated my issues were resolved if I was willing to wait a month or whatever.

Though not my #1 favorite I can't stress enough how much I love the original Zelda. It's so meticulously designed. It really bridged the schism between exploratory adventure/RPG games and arcade/action titles. At the time of its release, it was the best video game ever made.
Return to General Gaming