What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Ack »

With my regular PC out of commission, I'm back to playing on my laptop, which means '90s games! I had an old save from about halfway through Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate that I've gone back to.

Picking things back up wasn't too challenging, but I discovered quickly that I had gotten to a point in the game where the enemy's tactics are a lot smarter than previously. I spent half an hour last night using a Terminator squad as bait for an entrenched Devastator squad of Exalted Champion Chaos Marines. Prick bastards were dug in deep, so I had to use my Termies to take fire while moving another couple of squads up around the side until I could hit them with flamethrowers and heavy bolters. End result: I survived with all members, but I really don't want to have to deal with something like that on open ground again.

I'm also dealing with a tough time leveling now: two of my squads in the game are pure space marines, and two are in the Veteran/Hero range. I've been trying to build everyone up to Mighty Hero, but it may be too late in the game; throwing a few space marines against champion Chaos Chaplains is a sure-fire way to get my guys killed. I may just start skipping the supply runs and try to push through to the end.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

after reading enough reviews I decided to just get Celeste - a decision made easier by the Xbox gift cards I hadn't used since Christmas. I've only gotten to play a little bit so far, but it seems pretty great. For those not aware it's an indie puzzle platformer thing that's getting some hardcore praise. If I had to guess, I'd say that there's influences of VVVVVV and Spelunky in its DNA. What's refreshing is that there isn't that whole Metroidvania thing about upgrading abilities or whatever. The game very simply gives you the basic controls of (A) jump, (B) dash, and (C) grab/climb walls. So in a lot of ways each screen is its own little escape room puzzle. And you die a lot.

I've got a couple of other things potentially lined up in an attempt to start pushing through my backlog a bit more focused. Honestly, I love Overwatch so so much but there's times where I think about all the games I'd actually play if Overwatch didn't take up so much of my gaming time. Haha.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Celeste seems great. I've thought about buying it a couple of times on Switch.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Stark wrote:Celeste seems great. I've thought about buying it a couple of times on Switch.

The review that finally pushed me to just buy it was Destructoid's which began:

If you’re even remotely interested in this game, this review is a huge waste of your time. It’s good. It’s very fucking good. You should just go ahead and buy it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

noiseredux wrote:
Stark wrote:Celeste seems great. I've thought about buying it a couple of times on Switch.

The review that finally pushed me to just buy it was Destructoid's which began:

If you’re even remotely interested in this game, this review is a huge waste of your time. It’s good. It’s very fucking good. You should just go ahead and buy it.

It looks like something I'll enjoy the hell out of, but I'm juggling like three games right now, so I really shouldn't buy it right now. I should wait until I get bored and drop one or two of them first :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Digimon Cybersleuth Hackers Memory
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Tales of Legendia (PS2)

This game started out silly and it's continued being silly, and that has just been so great for me this week. The VA isn't great for all the cast, but enough of them are pretty damn good (or just okay) that the bad VA comes off as funny more than anything, which fits the more light-hearted and silly tone the game has been going with so far quite well. I wasn't sure I'd stick with this one all the way to the end, but I'm really starting to love this one :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

^ I would have mailed my copy to you if I had known you wanted it. Hated the game but I can never ever get into Tales games. Something about them do all the worst JRPG tropes and turn the dial up to 11.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Segata wrote:^ I would have mailed my copy to you if I had known you wanted it. Hated the game but I can never ever get into Tales games. Something about them do all the worst JRPG tropes and turn the dial up to 11.

The character writing is really one of the things I like most about the series :lol:
The ARPG-ish instanced encounters are also just complex enough that I can slowly get better at them but simple enough that I can hop in. It's a series that fits my tastes very well, generally. They are very anime though, and if you don't like anime tropes then you definitely won't enjoy Tales XP

And thank you for the offer, but I've actually owned it for a while. I bought like ALL the Tales games a year or so ago after really enjoying Tales of Graces. I wanna say the only ones I'm missing are Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Rebirth, both of which I'm fairly sure never came out in the West (Destiny 2 being the actual sequel to Tales of Destiny, and not our Tales of Destiny II on PS1 which is just a renamed Tales of Eternia).
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I started Final Fantasy II on the Nintendo Entertainment System this afternoon!

So, I am basically playing a Reproduction cart of the translated version of Final Fantasy II on the Famicom. It was translated, upgraded and released on the Playstation 1 in the form of Final Fantasy Origins, but this is the original copy.

So, no auto targeting, no running and no multiple items. It's taken me some time to get used to the old way of doing things. But, I also soon remembered that this game was released basically a calendar year after Final Fantasy I, so I'm trying to keep that in mind. It feels very heavy in the grinding and the stat growth is so much slower compared to the PS1 version.

However, it is offering that NES Final Fantasy nostalgia that I love so much. It is very interesting and always a unique take on the genre. I cannot wait to play more of it and see what the differences are in this version.